R: Database authentication trouble

  • Rocco Scappatura
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      More specifically I dont understand why man page of proxymap says to set:

      virtual_alias_maps =
      proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias.cf

      while I think the major of connection come from lookup in mailbox table..

      (ie:

      virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf

      where /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf contains the username and password for POP3/POP3-SSL/IMAP/IMAP-SSL authentication.

      BTW, can I set either

      virtual_alias_maps =
      proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias.cf
      and

      virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf)

      BR,

      rocsca

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:54:59AM +0100, Rocco Scappatura wrote:

        > virtual_alias_maps =
        > proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias.cf
        >
        > while I think the major of connection come from lookup in mailbox table..

        Because smtpd does virtual(5) lookups during recipient validation, and
        it is not uncommon to have hundreds of running smtpd processes that can
        overwhelm the MySQL server.

        Because cleanup does virtual(5) lookups during address rewriting, and
        it is not uncommon to have hundreds of running cleanup processes that
        can overwhelm the MySQL server.

        > virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf
        >
        > where /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf contains the username and password for POP3/POP3-SSL/IMAP/IMAP-SSL authentication.

        This table has nothing to do with usernames/passwords, it stores mailbox
        paths.