R: Database authentication trouble

  • Rocco Scappatura
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Can someone give further insight about to use this fetures?

      Thanks,

      rocsca

    • Rocco Scappatura
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        More specifically I dont understand why man page of proxymap says to set:

        virtual_alias_maps =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias.cf

        while I think the major of connection come from lookup in mailbox table..

        (ie:

        virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf

        where /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf contains the username and password for POP3/POP3-SSL/IMAP/IMAP-SSL authentication.

        BTW, can I set either

        virtual_alias_maps =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias.cf
        and

        virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf)

        BR,

        rocsca

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:54:59AM +0100, Rocco Scappatura wrote:

          > virtual_alias_maps =
          > proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias.cf
          >
          > while I think the major of connection come from lookup in mailbox table..

          Because smtpd does virtual(5) lookups during recipient validation, and
          it is not uncommon to have hundreds of running smtpd processes that can
          overwhelm the MySQL server.

          Because cleanup does virtual(5) lookups during address rewriting, and
          it is not uncommon to have hundreds of running cleanup processes that
          can overwhelm the MySQL server.

          > virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf
          >
          > where /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-maps.cf contains the username and password for POP3/POP3-SSL/IMAP/IMAP-SSL authentication.

          This table has nothing to do with usernames/passwords, it stores mailbox
          paths.