Re: RBL question and their performance stats for me

  • Erwan David
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
      Le Fri 1/12/2006, Victor Duchovni disait
      > On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 05:58:56PM -0500, Harvey Smith wrote:
      >
      > > Also it may not be prudent to start using the zen list now as spamhaus
      > > is not advertising it yet and it is the same as sbl-xbl anyway except for
      > > the fact that in the future (Demember maybe) the pbl will be added in
      > > and you will all of a sudden be using pbl without having tested it
      > > first. You do test the lists you use first I hope.
      >
      > They have not launched a marketing campaign telling everyone to switch,
      > but they have on various fora said that zen is ready and live, and that
      > there is no reason to not switch from sbl-xbl to zen.

      Except if you do not want to filter what PBL filters.

      --
      Erwan David
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
        On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 08:55:22AM +0100, Erwan David wrote:

        > > They have not launched a marketing campaign telling everyone to switch,
        > > but they have on various fora said that zen is ready and live, and that
        > > there is no reason to not switch from sbl-xbl to zen.
        >
        > Except if you do not want to filter what PBL filters.

        #
        # SpamHaus SBL
        #
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.2
        #
        # SpamHaus XBL, CBL portion
        #
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.4
        #
        # SpamHaus XBL, NJABL portion
        #
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.5
        #
        # SpamHaus PBL
        #
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.10
        reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.11

        These five restrictions cost only one DNS lookup, and one can decide which
        of the five to use (order not significant). I don't know definitively
        which of the PBL IPs signals volunteered data and which signals SpamHaus
        additional data, but it is reasonable to assume that the two distinct
        IP addresses are reserved for a reason.

        Given that 127.0.0.2 and 192.0.2.0 map to 127.0.0.11, and these are not
        volunteered by their ISPs, it looks .11 is SpamHaus data, and .10 is
        volunteered data.

        SpamHaus is not in the business of making it difficult for users to
        use their lists by mixing oil and water...

      • Joey
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
          When upgrading from 2.2.10 to 2.3.0 and then running the new version I get
          the following:

          Dec 1 08:47:42 pluto postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail
          system
          Dec 1 08:47:42 pluto postfix/master[26822]: daemon started -- version
          2.3.0, configuration /etc/postfix
          Dec 1 08:47:44 pluto postfix/smtpd[26834]: warning: unsupported SASL server
          implementation: cyrus
          Dec 1 08:47:44 pluto postfix/smtpd[26834]: fatal: SASL per-process
          initialization failed
          Dec 1 08:47:45 pluto postfix/master[26822]: warning: process
          /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 26834 exit status 1
          Dec 1 08:47:45 pluto postfix/master[26822]: warning:
          /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling

          I compile postfix like this:
          make tidy
          make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/include/sasl"
          AUXLIBS="-L/usr/lib -lsasl2"
          make
          make upgrade

          I'm not really seeing the reason after searching google...

          Any help appreciated.

          Joey
        • Ralf Hildebrandt
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2006
            * Joey <Joey@...>:

            > I compile postfix like this:
            > make tidy
            > make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/include/sasl"
            > AUXLIBS="-L/usr/lib -lsasl2"
            > make
            > make upgrade

            You didn't read the RELEASE_NOTES!

            [Incompat 20051220] The Postfix-with-Cyrus-SASL build procedure has
            changed. You now need to specify -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL in addition to
            -DUSE_SASL_AUTH or else you end up without any Cyrus SASL support.
            The error messages are:

            unsupported SASL server implementation: cyrus
            unsupported SASL client implementation: cyrus

            --
            Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
            http://www.postfix-buch.com