Very weird e-mail problems

  • Patrick - South Valley Internet
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hello everyone,

      I'm completely confused, so I will try to explain my situation as best
      as possible.

      We have two mail servers. One is running Exim, and the other is running
      Postfix. I'm posting this e-mail to both mailing lists to see if I can
      track down the problem, although I do not think it is Exim (which I will
      explain).

      On the mail server that is running Exim, we have a catch-all that sends
      all mail from the domain foo.com which is located on the Exim server to
      person@... which is located on the Postfix server. For some reason,
      it never arrives to the Postfix server. I took a look at the Exim logs,
      and they show that the e-mail is being sent successfully, but when I
      tail the logs on the Postfix server, I never see an e-mail arrive.

      I can set up a forward/catch-all on the Exim server to forward all mail
      to my gmail account, and I get the e-mails instantly. This is why I
      don't think it is the Exim server, but I could be wrong.

      Now, here's the very weird part. If I e-mail any e-mail address on the
      Postfix server directly, the e-mail is received. However, when I
      forward mail from an email address on the Exim server to an email
      address on the Postfix server, the Exim logs say it's been sent but the
      Postfix logs never say anything, whether it has failed or been successful.

      We haven't had any other complaints from anyone else, so I don't know
      how to track this problem down. Like I said, I checked all the logs,
      and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

      Hopefully I'm not being too vague, and if I need to provide any more
      information to help you folks troubleshoot, please let me know and I
      will be more than happy to supply anything you might need.

      Thanks to all in advance!

      Patrick
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
        Patrick - South Valley Internet:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I'm completely confused, so I will try to explain my situation as best
        > as possible.
        >
        > We have two mail servers. One is running Exim, and the other is running
        > Postfix. I'm posting this e-mail to both mailing lists to see if I can
        > track down the problem, although I do not think it is Exim (which I will
        > explain).
        >
        > On the mail server that is running Exim, we have a catch-all that sends
        > all mail from the domain foo.com which is located on the Exim server to
        > person@... which is located on the Postfix server. For some reason,
        > it never arrives to the Postfix server. I took a look at the Exim logs,
        > and they show that the e-mail is being sent successfully, but when I
        > tail the logs on the Postfix server, I never see an e-mail arrive.

        Show the exim logs that "prove" mail was sent to Postfix.

        Wietse
      • Patrick - South Valley Internet
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
          This is what I get - I grep'd the logs by message ID, and got the
          following from a few different tests:

          Here's my setup: I'm using my gmail account to send the email. I am
          trying to send an email to an email address on my Exim mail server
          (patrick@...) that forwards to an email address at my Postfix server
          (patrick@...).

          Here is the log of an e-mail coming from my Gmail account forwarding to
          the e-mail account on the Postfix server:

          2006-11-30 13:58:20 1GptvA-00042a-8y <= patrick@...
          H=wx-out-0506.google.com [66.249.82.238] P=esmtp S=1710
          id=5aa0fe080611301400n5b0fe7acx90f068a9dd8f4140@...
          T="Testing. Testing. Testing." from <patrick@...> for patrick@...

          I've done about 10 different tests, and I get the same exact message
          each time. I kept grepping for any other messages that shared the same
          ID, but none did.

          Thanks.

          Patrick

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
            Patrick - South Valley Internet:
            > This is what I get - I grep'd the logs by message ID, and got the
            > following from a few different tests:
            >
            > Here's my setup: I'm using my gmail account to send the email. I am
            > trying to send an email to an email address on my Exim mail server
            > (patrick@...) that forwards to an email address at my Postfix server
            > (patrick@...).
            >
            > Here is the log of an e-mail coming from my Gmail account forwarding to
            > the e-mail account on the Postfix server:
            >
            > 2006-11-30 13:58:20 1GptvA-00042a-8y <= patrick@...
            > H=wx-out-0506.google.com [66.249.82.238] P=esmtp S=1710
            > id=5aa0fe080611301400n5b0fe7acx90f068a9dd8f4140@...
            > T="Testing. Testing. Testing." from <patrick@...> for patrick@...

            This does NOT demonstrate that mail is delivered to POSTFIX.

            Wietse
          • Patrick - South Valley Internet
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
              I didn't get any other message regarding this ID. I even checked a few
              mins ago - nothing. I can verify though that the e-mail was sent, as I
              did receive it a tad later.

              It looks like the load on the Postfix server is a little high, which is
              delaying messages. The load is down now, and e-mail seems to be coming
              in now just fine.

              Thanks again.

              Patrick

              Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Patrick - South Valley Internet:
              >
              >> This is what I get - I grep'd the logs by message ID, and got the
              >> following from a few different tests:
              >>
              >> Here's my setup: I'm using my gmail account to send the email. I am
              >> trying to send an email to an email address on my Exim mail server
              >> (patrick@...) that forwards to an email address at my Postfix server
              >> (patrick@...).
              >>
              >> Here is the log of an e-mail coming from my Gmail account forwarding to
              >> the e-mail account on the Postfix server:
              >>
              >> 2006-11-30 13:58:20 1GptvA-00042a-8y <= patrick@...
              >> H=wx-out-0506.google.com [66.249.82.238] P=esmtp S=1710
              >> id=5aa0fe080611301400n5b0fe7acx90f068a9dd8f4140@...
              >> T="Testing. Testing. Testing." from <patrick@...> for patrick@...
              >>

              > This does NOT demonstrate that mail is delivered to POSTFIX.
              >
              > Wietse

            • Terry Allen
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
                >This is what I get - I grep'd the logs by message ID, and got the
                >following from a few different tests:
                >
                >Here's my setup: I'm using my gmail account to send the email. I
                >am trying to send an email to an email address on my Exim mail
                >server (patrick@...) that forwards to an email address at my
                >Postfix server (patrick@...).
                >
                >Here is the log of an e-mail coming from my Gmail account forwarding
                >to the e-mail account on the Postfix server:
                >
                >2006-11-30 13:58:20 1GptvA-00042a-8y <= patrick@...
                >H=wx-out-0506.google.com [66.249.82.238] P=esmtp S=1710
                >id=5aa0fe080611301400n5b0fe7acx90f068a9dd8f4140@...
                >T="Testing. Testing. Testing." from <patrick@...> for
                >patrick@...
                >

                >I've done about 10 different tests, and I get the same exact message
                >each time. I kept grepping for any other messages that shared the
                >same ID, but none did.
                >

                >Thanks.
                >
                >Patrick

                Hi again,
                Have you verified that the DNS for the Exim server is
                actually seeing the correct IP for the Postfix server? Basic I know,
                but it's easily missed. If you try to make a connection or send an
                email from the Exim to the Postfix machine, does the Postfix log show
                any connection attempt from the IP for the Exim machine, regardless
                of the 'success' log from Exim - if not, then the problem is almost
                certainly the Exim machine.
                --

                Bye for now, Terry Allen
                hEARd

                Postal Address:
                hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd, Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
                Internet -
                WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
                EMAIL: hmag@...
                Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
                Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400
                Non profit promotion for new music - since 1994
              • Tony Earnshaw
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Patrick - South Valley Internet wrote:

                  > I didn't get any other message regarding this ID. I even checked a few
                  > mins ago - nothing. I can verify though that the e-mail was sent, as I
                  > did receive it a tad later.
                  >
                  > It looks like the load on the Postfix server is a little high, which is
                  > delaying messages. The load is down now, and e-mail seems to be coming
                  > in now just fine.

                  What I'd like to know is, how do you find it possible to wrap your head
                  around both Exim and Postfix at the same time? I used (a few years ago)
                  to be a 100% Exim 4 man and was forced to look at Postfix. I found that
                  configurations that took me hours to do with Exim (Exim LDAP transports
                  is a good example) I could do in minutes with Postfix and couldn't cope
                  with Exim any more. I suppose I could if someone paid me enough, but all
                  the motivation's gone.

                  --Tonni

                  --
                  Tonni Earnshaw
                  tonni @ barlaeus.nl
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                    I thought it had to do with the load issues on the box, but I'm not too
                    certain about that. I just did another test - this time I emailed my
                    garlic.com email address directly (which is on the Postfix server) and I
                    received the e-mail instantly. However, emailing my patrick@...
                    email forward that should forward to my garlic.com e-mail address, I
                    still haven't received it. And I sent that before I sent the e-mail
                    directly to my garlic.com email address.

                    What should I look for to troubleshoot this problem, and how should I go
                    about it?

                    Thanks again for all the help.

                    Patrick

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                      Patrick - South Valley Internet:
                      > I thought it had to do with the load issues on the box, but I'm not too
                      > certain about that. I just did another test - this time I emailed my
                      > garlic.com email address directly (which is on the Postfix server) and I
                      > received the e-mail instantly. However, emailing my patrick@...
                      > email forward that should forward to my garlic.com e-mail address, I
                      > still haven't received it. And I sent that before I sent the e-mail
                      > directly to my garlic.com email address.
                      >
                      > What should I look for to troubleshoot this problem, and how should I go
                      > about it?

                      In the logs...

                      Wietse
                    • Patrick - South Valley Internet
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                        Hi Wietse,

                        What should I be looking for in the logs? I try greping for patrickm on
                        the Postfix server (which the mail is supposed to be sending to) and I
                        don't see anything being received.

                        UPDATE: 7 minutes later, I finally receive the e-mails. I can't figure
                        out what's going on, at all. When I grep the logs, I can't find any log
                        about the e-mails being received. I can only find logs when I directly
                        e-mail my garlic.com e-mail address. Whenever I send an e-mail to one
                        of the e-mail forwards on the Exim mail server, it takes a while to get
                        to my garlic.com e-mail address, and when it does, there aren;'t any
                        logs on the Postfix server about my email getting received.

                        One thing I'm noticing is that the mail queue is a little high, and has
                        been for a couple days. This might be the problem, but what should I
                        look for in the logs pertaining to this?

                        Thanks again for the help.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                          Patrick - South Valley Internet:
                          > Hi Wietse,
                          >
                          > What should I be looking for in the logs?

                          You DO NOT use grep.

                          When mail is not delivered, you start with the machine that originates
                          the mail, and you LOOK AT EVERY LOGFILE RECORD around the time that
                          the mail was posted.

                          The logfile shows that either the mail was delivered to the next
                          machine, or it was not.

                          If the mail was not delivered to the next machine, the logs show
                          why. Fix that problem.

                          If the mail was delivered to the next machine, you repeat the steps
                          above there, and so on.

                          Wietse
                        • Patrick - South Valley Internet
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                            Okay, I will do what you suggested and post back to the mailing list.

                            Thanks Wietse.

                            Patrick

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                              I just grep'd the log for any errors or warning or panics or fatals, and
                              came back with the following:

                              Dec 1 12:02:25 quake postfix/smtpd[3289266]: warning: TLS has been
                              selected, bu
                              t TLS support is not compiled in
                              Dec 1 12:03:10 quake postfix/smtpd[3064010]: warning: database
                              /etc/postfix/ali
                              ases.dir is older than source file /etc/postfix/aliases

                              Are any of these affecting performance and stuttering the delivery time?

                              I'm looking at the logs like you suggested now Wietse and will report back.

                              Patrick

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Patrick - South Valley Internet:
                                > I just grep'd the log for any errors or warning or panics or fatals, and
                                > came back with the following:
                                >
                                > Dec 1 12:02:25 quake postfix/smtpd[3289266]: warning: TLS has been
                                > selected, but TLS support is not compiled in
                                > Dec 1 12:03:10 quake postfix/smtpd[3064010]: warning: database
                                > /etc/postfix/aliases.dir is older than source file /etc/postfix/aliases
                                >
                                > Are any of these affecting performance and stuttering the delivery time?

                                These do not slow down deliveries.

                                > I'm looking at the logs like you suggested now Wietse and will report back.

                                You may also ask a fwe questions in one email message.

                                Wietse
                              • Patrick - South Valley Internet
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                                  OK...so it isn't Postfix. Postfix is just fine. It turns out there are
                                  2292 emails in the Exim queue. Now I know at least what mail server is
                                  causing this problem.

                                  Thanks again everyone for all the help. Now I'm off to the Exim mailing
                                  list :)

                                  Patrick