Would I use canonical maps here?

  • Spencer Tuttle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2006
      I have the following setup:

      2 External MailServers Lets call them "A"
      2 Internal MailServers Lets call them "B"
      2000+ Internal Servers Lets call them "C"

      The path the mail takes is as follows:

      Any one of the servers in "C" can send mail to "B" who then will forward
      the mail to "A" who in turn does a MX lookup on the recipient and
      delivers it accordingly.

      I have the following problem; when an email gets any sort of error be it
      a 450 Temporary Error or a 550 Permanent Error given by the final
      destination email server the email gets sent back to my "A" server who
      in turn tries to bounce back the mail to the "C" server that originally
      sent the email.

      What I want to do is somehow catch all the email that is going
      (bouncing) back to the "C" servers and capture it to one address and
      forward it to an account on a "B" server.

      Is this a place where I would use a canonical map?
      How could I create the map without having to create an entry for every
      possible host I have that sends mail?
      Or am I just missing something glaringly obvious?

      Thanks,
      Spencer Tuttle

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2006
        At 08:15 PM 11/10/2006, Spencer Tuttle wrote:
        >I have the following setup:
        >
        >2 External MailServers Lets call them "A"
        >2 Internal MailServers Lets call them "B"
        >2000+ Internal Servers Lets call them "C"
        >

        >The path the mail takes is as follows:
        >
        >Any one of the servers in "C" can send mail to "B" who
        >then will forward
        >the mail to "A" who in turn does a MX lookup on the
        >recipient and
        >delivers it accordingly.
        >
        >I have the following problem; when an email gets any sort
        >of error be it
        >a 450 Temporary Error or a 550 Permanent Error given by
        >the final
        >destination email server the email gets sent back to my
        >"A" server who
        >in turn tries to bounce back the mail to the "C" server
        >that originally
        >sent the email.
        >
        >What I want to do is somehow catch all the email that is going
        >(bouncing) back to the "C" servers and capture it to one
        >address and
        >forward it to an account on a "B" server.

        Sounds as if you are looking for the masquerade feature.
        http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#masquerade

        --
        Noel Jones