port 26

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
      Is there a way without running 2 instances of postfix to have 1 instance of postfix respond to either port 25 or port 26?

      Thanks,

      Joey
    • Tony Earnshaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
        Joey wrote:

        > Is there a way without running 2 instances of postfix to have 1 instance
        > of postfix respond to either port 25 or port 26?

        Yes, presume you mean listener - simply add it to master.cf:

        :26 inet n - n - 100 smtpd
        -o whatever

        --Tonni

        tonni at barlaeus.nl
        Tony Earnshaw
      • Martin Schmitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
          Joey schrieb:

          > Is there a way without running 2 instances of postfix to have 1 instance
          > of postfix respond to either port 25 or port 26?

          If you're dealing with an ISP that blocks port 25 for your authorized
          SMTP users, you may also want to think about uncommenting the submission
          service in master.cf, which will listen on port 587.

          -martin

          --
          Schmitt Systemberatung Linux/UNIX
          Giessener Str. 18 Internet/Intranet
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
            We run 5 instances of postfix on one Sun server. The way we did it was to give
            the box several IP address. Each instance of postifix is given a different IP
            hence you dont have to change the default port 25. All instances will be able
            to listen on port 25, just on different IP addresses.

            thank you

            --
            Brent Bailey CCNA
            Bmyster LLC

            --RIP Brother Dime--

            > > Is there a way without running 2 instances of postfix to have 1 instance
            > > of postfix respond to either port 25 or port 26?
            >
            > If you're dealing with an ISP that blocks port 25 for your authorized
            > SMTP users, you may also want to think about uncommenting the submission
            > service in master.cf, which will listen on port 587.
            >
            > -martin
            >
            > --
            > Schmitt Systemberatung Linux/UNIX
            > Giessener Str. 18 Internet/Intranet
            > 35415 Pohlheim/Germany E-Mail Infrastructure
            > http://www.scsy.de Antispam/Antivirus
            ------- End of Original Message -------
          • Joey
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
              If I put 100 for maxproc under smtp, this will control the MAX connections
              to the smtp port at any given time right?

              # ==========================================================================
              # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
              # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
              # ==========================================================================
              26 inet n - n - - smtpd
              smtp inet n - n - 100 smtpd

              What happens when the 101st connection is attempted, does it get server
              busy, and then retry?

              How can I tell what the peak amount of connections are over the course of a
              day?

              Does this 100 consider BOTH incoming smtp as well as outgoing smtp?

              Another question which is somewhat related is lets say you have an outgoing
              mailserver, and a client sends out 500 messages, does postfix try to deliver
              them all at the same time?

              Would setting this limit control that as well?

              Thanks,

              Joey
            • Ralf Hildebrandt
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
                * Joey <Joey@...>:
                > If I put 100 for maxproc under smtp, this will control the MAX connections
                > to the smtp port at any given time right?

                Yes.

                > # ==========================================================================
                > # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
                > # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
                > # ==========================================================================
                > 26 inet n - n - - smtpd
                > smtp inet n - n - 100 smtpd
                >
                > What happens when the 101st connection is attempted, does it get server
                > busy, and then retry?

                It should

                > How can I tell what the peak amount of connections are over the course of a
                > day?
                >
                > Does this 100 consider BOTH incoming smtp as well as outgoing smtp?

                smtpd is incoming ONLY

                --
                Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
                http://www.postfix-buch.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006

                  http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html
                  http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html
                  http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html

                  --
                  Noel Jones
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
                    On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 02:41:39PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

                    > * Joey <Joey@...>:
                    > > If I put 100 for maxproc under smtp, this will control the MAX connections
                    > > to the smtp port at any given time right?
                    >
                    > Yes.
                    >
                    > > # ==========================================================================
                    > > # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
                    > > # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
                    > > # ==========================================================================
                    > > 26 inet n - n - - smtpd
                    > > smtp inet n - n - 100 smtpd
                    > >
                    > > What happens when the 101st connection is attempted, does it get server
                    > > busy, and then retry?
                    >
                    > It should

                    Actually the connection (TCP 3-way handshake) completes, but as there
                    at that moment no process to handle it, no "220 banner" is sent until
                    one of the existing connections is closed and a process becomes available.

                    The kernel's queue of completed, but not accepted() by a process connections
                    is finite (Postfix asks for the larger of $default_process_limit and the
                    service process limit, the kernel may assign a different limit), when this
                    limit of queued connections is reached, SYN packets are dropped.

                    > > How can I tell what the peak amount of connections are over the course of a
                    > > day?

                    Periodically, run "netstat -an | grep ESTABLISHED | grep -c
                    os-dependent-pattern-port-25-in", save the output to a file. This will
                    also count the completed, but not accepted() connections, so the output
                    may at times exceed 100, and show that you may need to raise the limit.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
                      Joey:
                      > If I put 100 for maxproc under smtp, this will control the MAX connections
                      > to the smtp port at any given time right?
                      >
                      > # ==========================================================================
                      > # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
                      > # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
                      > # ==========================================================================
                      > 26 inet n - n - - smtpd
                      > smtp inet n - n - 100 smtpd
                      >
                      > What happens when the 101st connection is attempted, does it get server
                      > busy, and then retry?

                      Different things happen at different protocol levels.

                      At the TCP level, there is no difference. The connection
                      completes as usual.

                      At the SMTP level, things do change. There is no server "220 my.host.name"
                      greeting until an smtpd process becomes available.

                      However, if you have 100s or 1000s of clients, the TCP behavior
                      changes too. The connection no longer completes; the clients sees
                      a TCP timeout. I haven't yet implemened an "overflow responder"
                      that you can specify in master.cf.

                      > How can I tell what the peak amount of connections are over the course of a
                      > day?

                      The anvil service logs some peak information.

                      Postfix 2.3 and later log a warning when all ports are busy.

                      warning: service "smtp" (25) has reached its process limit
                      "100": new clients may experience noticeable delays

                      > Does this 100 consider BOTH incoming smtp as well as outgoing smtp?

                      This seting is for smtpd, which is used for receiving mail.