Re: [pfx] Re: [pfx] Re: Unknown Mail Transport Error

  • Charles Gregory
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
      On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > > I manually cleared some spam from the host6 queue and I noticed several
      > > pieces of the 'stuck' mail went through, then it 'hung' again.

      I did this a second time, and requeued everything and restarted
      postfix (again) and finally the queue cleared. So it was definitely
      something IN one of those messages choking procmail or spamassassin.
      Possibly a malformed attachment. I've had issues with those in the last
      week.... :(

      Just hope this doesn't happen again....

      - Charles
    • Robert Adkins
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
        I used the example (see below) from the Restriction_Class_Readme from the postfix.org website:

        /etc/postfix/main.cf:
            smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                ...other stuff...

            smtpd_restriction_classes = local_only
            local_only =
                check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/local_domains, reject

        /etc/postfix/restricted_senders:
            foo@domain      local_only
            bar@domain      local_only

        /etc/postfix/local_domains:
            this.domain     OK      matches this.domain and subdomains
            that.domain     OK      matches that.domain and subdomains

        --

            After creating a test user account, adding that user to the restricted_senders and creating the local_domains file and then running portmap on both files to create the .db files. I restarted the postfix daemon and nothing changed.

            The test user can still send and receive email from outside of the domain.

            Am I missing something?

            Thanks,
            Robert Adkins
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
          Robert Adkins wrote:
          > I used the example (see below) from the Restriction_Class_Readme from the postfix.org website:
          >
          > /etc/postfix/main.cf <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html>:
          > smtpd_recipient_restrictions <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions> =
          > check_sender_access <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_sender_access> hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
          > /...other stuff.../
          >
          > smtpd_restriction_classes <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_restriction_classes> = local_only
          > local_only =
          > check_recipient_access <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_recipient_access> hash:/etc/postfix/local_domains, reject
          >
          > /etc/postfix/restricted_senders:
          > foo@domain local_only
          > bar@domain local_only
          >
          > /etc/postfix/local_domains:
          > this.domain OK /matches this.domain and subdomains/
          > that.domain OK /matches that.domain and subdomains
          >
          > --
          >
          > /
          >
          > After creating a test user account, adding that user to the
          > restricted_senders and creating the local_domains file and then running portmap
          > on both files to create the .db files. I restarted the postfix daemon and
          > nothing changed.
          >
          > The test user can still send and receive email from outside of the domain.
          >
          > Am I missing something?

          1- do not hijack threads by replying to an unrelated message.

          2- follow the directions explained in the ML welcome message, and on
          In particular, send output of 'postconf -n'.

          As you can see, copy-pasting from firefox to thunderbird is horrible.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
            Charles Gregory:
            > On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > > I manually cleared some spam from the host6 queue and I noticed several
            > > > pieces of the 'stuck' mail went through, then it 'hung' again.

            That wansn't me.

            > I did this a second time, and requeued everything and restarted
            > postfix (again) and finally the queue cleared. So it was definitely
            > something IN one of those messages choking procmail or spamassassin.
            > Possibly a malformed attachment. I've had issues with those in the last
            > week.... :(

            If you sent the SAME CONTENT again into the SAME FILTERS, and this
            time the mail went through, then the problem was not caused by the
            content.

            Wietse
          • Magnus Bäck
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
              On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 23:18 CET,
              mouss <usebsd@...> wrote:

              > 1- do not hijack threads by replying to an unrelated message.
              >
              > 2- follow the directions explained in the ML welcome message, and on
              > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              > In particular, send output of 'postconf -n'.
              >
              > As you can see, copy-pasting from firefox to thunderbird is horrible.

              And finally, do not post HTML-only messages.

              --
              Magnus Bäck
              magnus@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                1. I have set my email client to only send plaint-text emails to
                postfix.org. I do attempt to remember to add mailing lists to that
                filter, unfortunately being human, I sometimes forget to do so. I
                apologize for the error on my part.

[...]

                From 'postconf -n' :

                alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                biff = no
                canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
                command_directory = /usr/sbin
                config_directory = /etc/postfix
                daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
                debug_peer_level = 2
                defer_transports =
                disable_dns_lookups = no
                home_mailbox = Maildir/
                html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/html
                mailbox_size_limit = 0
                mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
                manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
                masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
                masquerade_domains =
                masquerade_exceptions = root
                message_size_limit = 30720000
                mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, impelind.com
                myhostname = impelind.com
                myorigin = impelind.com
                newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
                readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
                recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/duper_bcc
                relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
                sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
                sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/duper_bcc
                sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
                sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
                setgid_group = maildrop
                smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
                smtp_use_tls = no
                smtpd_client_restrictions =
                smtpd_helo_required = no
                smtpd_helo_restrictions =
                smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination, check_sender_access
                hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                smtpd_restriction_classes = local_only
                smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
                smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
                smtpd_use_tls = no
                strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
                unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

                Thank you,
                Robert Adkins
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Robert Adkins wrote:

                  > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                  > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                  > check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                  > ...other stuff...

                  Now compare this to your configuration as reported by postconf -n. It
                  must now be clear why sending output of postconf -n is (almost) always
                  needed.

                  > [snip]
                  > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                  > permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination, check_sender_access
                  > hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                  permit_mynetworks permits mail from mynetworks. no further checks are
                  performed.

                  add the check_sender_access above to smtpd_sender_restrictions and it
                  will work.