Re: [pfx] Re: Unknown Mail Transport Error

  • Charles Gregory
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
      On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Victor Duchovni wrote:
      > User 05 .forward runs a command that never terminates....

      .forward contains 'user05@...', which is how it is forwarded
      to host6 for spam checking. This is true of all users, and works fine.

      > .... or some process is holding a lock on user 05's mailbox, ...

      How could I find the mail lock and determine which process 'owns' it?
      I deleted a 'user05.lock' in the /var/spool/mail directory, and was even
      able to deliver a message directly via sendmail to the mailbox on host4.

      I manually cleared some spam from the host6 queue and I noticed several
      pieces of the 'stuck' mail went through, then it 'hung' again. So I've
      just deleted some more and flushed the queue. Somehow, it is content
      dependent. And still stuck. All the remaining messages inthe queue look
      legit. So I'm not sure where to go now. Need to find that lock....

      - Charles
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
        Charles Gregory:
        > I manually cleared some spam from the host6 queue and I noticed several
        > pieces of the 'stuck' mail went through, then it 'hung' again. So I've
        > just deleted some more and flushed the queue. Somehow, it is content
        > dependent. And still stuck. All the remaining messages inthe queue look
        > legit. So I'm not sure where to go now. Need to find that lock....

        Find out what system call the process is blocking on.

        See DEBUG_README for tips to

        - make local(8) log more of its activity

        - make a system call trace that will show where it blocks

        - make a library call trace that will show where it blocks

        Wietse
      • Charles Gregory
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
          On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > > I manually cleared some spam from the host6 queue and I noticed several
          > > pieces of the 'stuck' mail went through, then it 'hung' again.

          I did this a second time, and requeued everything and restarted
          postfix (again) and finally the queue cleared. So it was definitely
          something IN one of those messages choking procmail or spamassassin.
          Possibly a malformed attachment. I've had issues with those in the last
          week.... :(

          Just hope this doesn't happen again....

          - Charles
        • Robert Adkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
            I used the example (see below) from the Restriction_Class_Readme from the postfix.org website:

            /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                    check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                    ...other stuff...

                smtpd_restriction_classes = local_only
                local_only =
                    check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/local_domains, reject

            /etc/postfix/restricted_senders:
                foo@domain      local_only
                bar@domain      local_only

            /etc/postfix/local_domains:
                this.domain     OK      matches this.domain and subdomains
                that.domain     OK      matches that.domain and subdomains

            --

                After creating a test user account, adding that user to the restricted_senders and creating the local_domains file and then running portmap on both files to create the .db files. I restarted the postfix daemon and nothing changed.

                The test user can still send and receive email from outside of the domain.

                Am I missing something?

                Thanks,
                Robert Adkins
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
              Robert Adkins wrote:
              > I used the example (see below) from the Restriction_Class_Readme from the postfix.org website:
              >
              > /etc/postfix/main.cf <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html>:
              > smtpd_recipient_restrictions <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions> =
              > check_sender_access <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_sender_access> hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
              > /...other stuff.../
              >
              > smtpd_restriction_classes <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_restriction_classes> = local_only
              > local_only =
              > check_recipient_access <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_recipient_access> hash:/etc/postfix/local_domains, reject
              >
              > /etc/postfix/restricted_senders:
              > foo@domain local_only
              > bar@domain local_only
              >
              > /etc/postfix/local_domains:
              > this.domain OK /matches this.domain and subdomains/
              > that.domain OK /matches that.domain and subdomains
              >
              > --
              >
              > /
              >
              > After creating a test user account, adding that user to the
              > restricted_senders and creating the local_domains file and then running portmap
              > on both files to create the .db files. I restarted the postfix daemon and
              > nothing changed.
              >
              > The test user can still send and receive email from outside of the domain.
              >
              > Am I missing something?

              1- do not hijack threads by replying to an unrelated message.

              2- follow the directions explained in the ML welcome message, and on
              In particular, send output of 'postconf -n'.

              As you can see, copy-pasting from firefox to thunderbird is horrible.
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                Charles Gregory:
                > On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Wietse Venema wrote:
                > > > I manually cleared some spam from the host6 queue and I noticed several
                > > > pieces of the 'stuck' mail went through, then it 'hung' again.

                That wansn't me.

                > I did this a second time, and requeued everything and restarted
                > postfix (again) and finally the queue cleared. So it was definitely
                > something IN one of those messages choking procmail or spamassassin.
                > Possibly a malformed attachment. I've had issues with those in the last
                > week.... :(

                If you sent the SAME CONTENT again into the SAME FILTERS, and this
                time the mail went through, then the problem was not caused by the
                content.

                Wietse
              • Magnus Bäck
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                  On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 23:18 CET,
                  mouss <usebsd@...> wrote:

                  > 1- do not hijack threads by replying to an unrelated message.
                  >
                  > 2- follow the directions explained in the ML welcome message, and on
                  > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
                  > In particular, send output of 'postconf -n'.
                  >
                  > As you can see, copy-pasting from firefox to thunderbird is horrible.

                  And finally, do not post HTML-only messages.

                  --
                  Magnus Bäck
                  magnus@...
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                    1. I have set my email client to only send plaint-text emails to
                    postfix.org. I do attempt to remember to add mailing lists to that
                    filter, unfortunately being human, I sometimes forget to do so. I
                    apologize for the error on my part.

[...]

                    From 'postconf -n' :

                    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                    biff = no
                    canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
                    command_directory = /usr/sbin
                    config_directory = /etc/postfix
                    daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
                    debug_peer_level = 2
                    defer_transports =
                    disable_dns_lookups = no
                    home_mailbox = Maildir/
                    html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/html
                    mailbox_size_limit = 0
                    mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
                    manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
                    masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
                    masquerade_domains =
                    masquerade_exceptions = root
                    message_size_limit = 30720000
                    mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, impelind.com
                    myhostname = impelind.com
                    myorigin = impelind.com
                    newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
                    readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/README_FILES
                    recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/duper_bcc
                    relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
                    sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/samples
                    sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/duper_bcc
                    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
                    sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
                    setgid_group = maildrop
                    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
                    smtp_use_tls = no
                    smtpd_client_restrictions =
                    smtpd_helo_required = no
                    smtpd_helo_restrictions =
                    smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                    permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination, check_sender_access
                    hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                    smtpd_restriction_classes = local_only
                    smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
                    smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
                    smtpd_use_tls = no
                    strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
                    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

                    Thank you,
                    Robert Adkins
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Robert Adkins wrote:

                      > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                      > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                      > check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                      > ...other stuff...

                      Now compare this to your configuration as reported by postconf -n. It
                      must now be clear why sending output of postconf -n is (almost) always
                      needed.

                      > [snip]
                      > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                      > permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination, check_sender_access
                      > hash:/etc/postfix/restricted_senders
                      permit_mynetworks permits mail from mynetworks. no further checks are
                      performed.

                      add the check_sender_access above to smtpd_sender_restrictions and it
                      will work.