Re: A question on building mail gateway with Postfix

  • Sandy Drobic
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
      wadia wrote:
      > Devdas Bhagat wrote:
      >> On 01/11/06 01:55 +0800, wadia wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hi All
      >>> Currently, I'm going to build a mail gateway by using postfix, and
      >>> the following is my requirements:
      >>> 1) all the mails to aaa.com will be transferred to aaa.my.com pool.
      >>> 2) all the mails to bbb.com will be transferred to bbb.my.com pool.
      >>> 3) and all the other mails will be transferred to ccc.my.com pool.
      >>>
      >>> From the postfix document, I know that I can define 'transport' file
      >>> like the following to finish 1) and 2), but I still have no idea how
      >>> to configure postfix to make all the other mails transfer to
      >>> ccc.my.com pool. Any body can help me? You help is appreciated.
      >>>

      >> Use relayhost, or a wildcard transport.
      >>
      >> Devdas Bhagat
      >>

      > after I define the 'relayhost' in main.cf just like:
      > relayhost = [10.127.0.1]
      >
      > and /etc/postfix/transport
      > aaa.com smtp:[10.127.0.2]
      >
      > I find that all the mails including from aaa.com are transferred to
      > 10.127.0.1. And the mail from aaa.com is not transferred to 10.127.0.2,
      > is there any wrong with my configuration?

      - Did you execute "postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport"?

      - Is /etc/postfix/transport actually in your configuration?
      What does "postconf transport_maps" say?

      Sandy
      --
      List replies only please!
    • wadia
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2006
        Sandy Drobic wrote:
        > wadia wrote:
        >> Devdas Bhagat wrote:

        >>> Use relayhost, or a wildcard transport.
        >>>
        >>> Devdas Bhagat
        >>>

        >> after I define the 'relayhost' in main.cf just like:
        >> relayhost = [10.127.0.1]
        >>
        >> and /etc/postfix/transport
        >> aaa.com smtp:[10.127.0.2]
        >>
        >> I find that all the mails including from aaa.com are transferred to
        >> 10.127.0.1. And the mail from aaa.com is not transferred to
        >> 10.127.0.2, is there any wrong with my configuration?
        >
        > - Did you execute "postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport"?
        >
        > - Is /etc/postfix/transport actually in your configuration?
        > What does "postconf transport_maps" say?
        >
        > Sandy
        Hi Sandy
        Now this mail gateway basically works, thanks for your hlep!

        But now I still face some problems with it,
        Assume I owned domain name *my.com*, this mail gateway hostname is
        *gw.my.com/IP: 10.0.0.1*, I have three pools, one is *aaa.my.com/IP:
        10.0.0.2*, and another is *bbb.my.com/IP: 10.0.0.3*, and the mail to
        other domain will relay to *ccc.my.com/IP: 10.0.0.4*.

        I define relayhost = [ccc.my.com] in main.cf
        and my /etc/postfix/transport file looks like:
        aaa.com smtp:[10.0.0.2]
        bbb.com smtp:[10.0.0.3]

        The problem is when a system mail just like root@... or
        root@... sent out from this gateway, then this mail loops between
        gateway and ccc.my.com box, how can I fix it?

        Thanks
        Waida
      • Sandy Drobic
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2006
          wadia wrote:
          > Sandy Drobic wrote:
          >> wadia wrote:

          This is probably your trouble. You set transports for two domains, and
          transfer all other mails to ccc.my.com. Unfortunately, ccc.my.com doesn't
          know what to do with mail to "my.com" or subdomains unconfigured
          subdomains of my.com.

          How to fix that depends on the setup of ccc.my.com. If the users are all
          the same in the various domains, then you can just include my.com into
          $parent_domain_matches_subdomains (if my.com is included in
          mydestination). Otherwise you need to set up the domains with a bit more care.

          > But now I still face some problems with it,
          > Assume I owned domain name *my.com*, this mail gateway hostname is
          > *gw.my.com/IP: 10.0.0.1*, I have three pools, one is *aaa.my.com/IP:
          > 10.0.0.2*, and another is *bbb.my.com/IP: 10.0.0.3*, and the mail to
          > other domain will relay to *ccc.my.com/IP: 10.0.0.4*.
          >
          > I define relayhost = [ccc.my.com] in main.cf
          > and my /etc/postfix/transport file looks like:
          > aaa.com smtp:[10.0.0.2]
          > bbb.com smtp:[10.0.0.3]
          >
          > The problem is when a system mail just like root@... or
          > root@... sent out from this gateway, then this mail loops between
          > gateway and ccc.my.com box, how can I fix it?

          You either need to rewrite root@... to an accepted domain or tell
          ccc.my.com how to handle mail to my.com.

          Sandy

          --
          List replies only please!