Microsoft Outlook Meeting Schedule Converted To Plain Text

  • mynullvoid
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi,

      I had setup my postfix and everything working fine, but my problem is that if any of my user send a meeting schedule invitation, the 'email' will be converted to plain text instead of an alert for the receipent to accept the invitation.

      I don't mind for the conversion, but I want the ability for the recipient to accept the meeting request.

      If I am not mistaken I should be looking for tnef MIME issue.

      Please assist.

      FYI I am using postfix 2.1.5-9 on my debian stable with amavisd-new 20030616p10-5.

      Thank you

      Regards

    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        * mynullvoid <mynullvoid@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I had setup my postfix and everything working fine, but my problem is that if any of my user send a meeting schedule invitation, the 'email' will be converted to plain text instead of an alert for the receipent to accept the invitation.

        Neither Postfix nor amavisd do any conversion.

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
        http://www.postfix-buch.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 01:47:15PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

          > * mynullvoid <mynullvoid@...>:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I had setup my postfix and everything working fine, but my problem is that if any of my user send a meeting schedule invitation, the 'email' will be converted to plain text instead of an alert for the receipent to accept the invitation.
          >
          > Neither Postfix nor amavisd do any conversion.

          When message headers are malformed (don't start with "Header-Name:",
          Postfix will insert a blank line between the valid headers and first
          invalid header, which becomes part of the message body together with
          any subsequent possibly valid headers.

          Don't send broken messages, and they will be forwarded intact.

        • Dan Horne
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006

            > > Neither Postfix nor amavisd do any conversion.
            >
            > When message headers are malformed (don't start with
            > "Header-Name:", Postfix will insert a blank line between the
            > valid headers and first invalid header, which becomes part of
            > the message body together with any subsequent possibly valid headers.
            >
            > Don't send broken messages, and they will be forwarded intact.

            We have Outlook meeting requests going through postfix without issue.
            What I have seen in the past is that software that adds information to
            the body of emails (such as footers or signatures or disclaimers) will
            'break' these meeting requests and cause them to be displayed as plain
            text messages rather than being handled invisibly by Outlook. This
            won't be signatures or disclaimers added by Outlook, but rather by
            third-party software somewhere in the mail path.

            --DH

            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
            This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

            SPAM-FREE 1.0(2476)
          • mynullvoid
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
              What I have in my mail setup are: [courier-imap]+[postfix]+[amavis-new]+[procmail] as of for amavis-new it have [clamav]+[spamassassin]. Spamassassin will interact with [pyzor]+[razor]+[dcc]. How do check which point it went wrong and how do I make the email intact without broken?

              Please advice.

              Thank you

              ================This is my main.cf=====================
              smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (foobar)
              biff = no
              broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
              command_directory = /usr/sbin
              config_directory = /etc/postfix
              receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
              daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
              default_process_limit = 512
              home_mailbox = Maildir/
              local_destination_recipient_limit = 300
              append_dot_mydomain = no
              delay_warning_time = 4h
              myhostname = mail.foobar.com.my
              alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
              alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
              myorigin = /etc/mailname
              mydestination = foobar.com.my, localhost.localdomain, localhost.localdomain, localhost, foobar.com.my
              mydomain = foobar.com.my
              mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24
              program_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
              mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
              mailbox_size_limit = 0
              message_size_limit = 0
              recipient_delimiter = +
              setgid_group = postdrop
              inet_interfaces = all
              smtpd_helo_required = yes
              disable_vrfy_command = yes
              smtpd_sender_restrictions =
                          permit_sasl_authenticated,
                          permit_mynetworks,
                          check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/maps/sender_access,
                          reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                          reject_unknown_address,
                          reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
                          reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
                          reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                          reject_rbl_client web.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                          reject_rbl_client zombie.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                          reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
                          reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
                          reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
                          reject_rbl_client dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net,
                          reject_rbl_client dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net,
                          reject_rbl_client cn.rbl.cluecentral.net,
                          reject_rbl_client nigeria.blackholes.us,
                          reject_rbl_client brazil.blackholes.us,
              smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                          permit_sasl_authenticated,
                          permit_mynetworks,
                          reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                          reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                          reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
                          reject_unauth_destination,
                          reject_unverified_recipient,
                          reject_unauth_pipelining,
                          check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/maps/whitelist,
                          reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
                          reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                          reject_rbl_client web.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                          reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
                          reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
                          reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
                          reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
                          reject_rbl_client zombie.dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                          reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
                          reject_rbl_client dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net,
                          reject_rbl_client dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net,
                          reject_rbl_client cn.rbl.cluecentral.net,
                          reject_rbl_client nigeria.blackholes.us,
                          reject_rbl_client brazil.blackholes.us,
                          check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000,
                          permit
              smtpd_data_restrictions =
                          reject_unauth_pipelining,
                          permit
              smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
              smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
              broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
              smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
              smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/newcert.pem
              smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/newreq.pem
              smtpd_tls_loglevel = 3
              smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
              smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
              smtpd_use_tls = yes
              tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
              transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/maps/transport