a way to send directly to smtp server

  • mr mr
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
      Is there a way to send mail directly to a server from the command line? I
      have added entries to my main.cf for relay_host etc and disabled local
      transport.

      What i want to happen is a mail entered at command line to be directly sent
      to a smtp server. For some reason i get the error postdrop: warning: unable
      to lookup public/pickup.

      Can this be bypassed somehow???

      Jer
    • Jim Weir
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
        >From: "mr mr" <booyaadewd@...>
        >To: postfix-users@...
        >Subject: a way to send directly to smtp server
        >Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:00:46 -0700
        >
        >Is there a way to send mail directly to a server from the command line? I
        >have added entries to my main.cf for relay_host etc and disabled local
        >transport.
        >
        >What i want to happen is a mail entered at command line to be directly sent
        >to a smtp server. For some reason i get the error postdrop: warning: unable
        >to lookup public/pickup.
        >
        >Can this be bypassed somehow???
        >
        >Jer

        It it can be done from telnet....

        JavaWaba

        Search�Your way, your world, right now!
        http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&FORM=WLMTAG
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
          mr mr:
          > Is there a way to send mail directly to a server from the command line? I
          > have added entries to my main.cf for relay_host etc and disabled local
          > transport.
          >
          > What i want to happen is a mail entered at command line to be directly sent
          > to a smtp server. For some reason i get the error postdrop: warning: unable
          > to lookup public/pickup.
          >
          > Can this be bypassed somehow???

          # postfix start
        • mr mr
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
            Let me try to rephrase this... I have a zenworks kernel that i use to boot
            to PXE and image computers. I want to be able to send mail from that minimal
            kernel. I have added the sendmail binary, postfix binary, postdrop binary,
            made the required main.cf for postfix, added the libraries i needed to make
            it work.

            What i need to know is, Is there a setting in postfix/main.cf that will tell
            the mail -s "whatever" whoever@... command to send directly to another
            smtp server. And not try to acutally formulate and send from my booted PXE
            kernel, I am getting the error postdrop: warning: unable to lookup
            public/pickup. I dont have those FIFO entries, as this is a very minimal
            kernel to image only. HOwever i do want to mail from it.... using a valid
            smtp server on the network.

            Jer
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
              mr mr:
              > Let me try to rephrase this... I have a zenworks kernel that i use to boot
              > to PXE and image computers. I want to be able to send mail from that minimal
              > kernel. I have added the sendmail binary, postfix binary, postdrop binary,
              > made the required main.cf for postfix, added the libraries i needed to make
              > it work.
              >
              > What i need to know is, Is there a setting in postfix/main.cf that will tell
              > the mail -s "whatever" whoever@... command to send directly to another
              > smtp server.

              With Postfix:

              # postfix start

              If you don't want to use an MTA, then don't use one.
              Use a mini-smtp client as listed at http://www.postfix.org/addon.html

              Note: these won't retry a failed delivery.

              Wietse

              > And not try to acutally formulate and send from my booted PXE
              > kernel, I am getting the error postdrop: warning: unable to lookup
              > public/pickup. I dont have those FIFO entries, as this is a very minimal
              > kernel to image only. HOwever i do want to mail from it.... using a valid
              > smtp server on the network.
              >
              > Jer

            • /dev/rob0
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
                On Thursday 05 October 2006 11:26, mr mr wrote:
                > warning: unable to lookup public/pickup. I dont have those FIFO
                > entries, as this is a very minimal kernel to image only. HOwever i do
                > want to mail from it.... using a valid smtp server on the network.

                nail(1) is installed by numerous Unices to provide the "mail" command,
                similar to mailx(1) of old. It is capable of acting as an SMTP client.
                I don't know if it would retry failed deliveries on its own, but that
                could probably be scripted. See "man nail" and search for "smtp".