Re: Multiple mailserver-targets?

  • Sandy Drobic
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      John wrote:
      > But how to do this if you're on a relay that does not know about mail
      > accounts? I.e., we have relays that are only configured with
      > (domain,destination_mx) tables.

      Please do not top post! It makes it unneccessary difficult to follow the
      conversation.

      If you have a gatewayserver that doesn't know the valid addresses, you
      have a bigger problem than deciding how to split the mails to two
      different servers. It means the relay will accept all mails, also to
      invalid recipients, and later will bounce them back to the (in case of
      spam) probably falsified sender addresses. Sooner or later the spammers
      will discover you and start to abuse your server.

      Use a script to extract the valid addresses on the destination servers and
      set up relay_recipient_maps or query the same database as the internal
      servers (if ldap or sql is used).
      In the mean time as a stop-gap measure you can use
      reject_unveriefied_recipient on your internal domains to query the
      internal servers before accepting a mail. If you have busy servers that
      will add to the load, so you should cache the result.

      You could use wildcard aliasing to distribute the mails to the two
      internal servers, but that would make the mess of the missing recipient
      validation even worse.

      Sandy
      --
      List replies only please!