Re: can't send/receive e-mail to internet

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      mrk krm:
      > Hi everybody,
      >
      > i followed the instructions on this manual http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-sarge/ to install postfix in debian sarge. Everything seems to work, i can send and receive e-mail between localhost users/domains, but i can't send or receive outside (internet). My router has the port 25 open and my domain is subsolo.no-ip.org (dynamic dns).
      >
      > I look for configuration files and everything looks ok. Even my /etc/reolves.conf is ok. I run postfix
      > chrooted, but the files needed are in the right directory.
      >
      > my log file reports this:
      > > Sep 28 23:33:57 debian postfix/smtp[17578]: F2CCFA3755:
      > > to=<mrk_0@...>, relay=none, delay=57, >status=deferred
      > > (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
      > > name=linuxmail.org type=MX: Host >not found, try again)
      >
      > what could be the error? I searched for 3 days and now i come here to ask your help.
      > thank you a lot.

      1) See line 10 of the welcome message, repeated below.
      2) Test if you as an unprivileged user can do the MX lookup.
      3) See http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#no_chroot
      4) See http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#dns-again

      Wietse

      1 Welcome to the postfix-users mailing list.
      2
      3 This list is for questions and discussions concerning the installation,
      4 configuration and operation of the Postfix mail system.
      5
      6 =================================================================
      7 IMPORTANT INFORMATION IMPORTANT INFORMATION IMPORTANT INFORMATION
      8 =================================================================
      9
      10 To report trouble, see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
      11
      12 To unsubscribe, see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
      13
      14 =================================================================
      15 IMPORTANT INFORMATION IMPORTANT INFORMATION IMPORTANT INFORMATION
      16 =================================================================
      17
      18 Thank you for using Postfix.
    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        On Sunday, October 01, 2006 at 23:02 CEST,
        mrk krm <mrk_0@...> wrote:

        > i followed the instructions on this manual
        > http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-sarge/ to install postfix in
        > debian sarge. Everything seems to work, i can send and receive e-mail
        > between localhost users/domains, but i can't send or receive outside
        > (internet). My router has the port 25 open and my domain is
        > subsolo.no-ip.org (dynamic dns).

        You can't run a reliable SMTP service with a dynamic IP address.

        > I look for configuration files and everything looks ok. Even my
        > /etc/reolves.conf is ok. I run postfix chrooted, but the files
        > needed are in the right directory.

        Until Postfix is working, take it out of the chroot. Don't introduce
        more complexity than needed.

        > my log file reports this:
        > > Sep 28 23:33:57 debian postfix/smtp[17578]: F2CCFA3755:
        > > to=<mrk_0@...>, relay=none, delay=57, >status=deferred
        > > (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
        > > name=linuxmail.org type=MX: Host >not found, try again)
        >
        > what could be the error? I searched for 3 days and now i come here to
        > ask your help.

        Can you manually look up the MX record of linuxmail.org with e.g. dig(1)
        or nslookup(1)?

        Regarding receiving mail, how is your DNS set up? Can you connect to
        port 25 from the outside. Etc. Be systematic, and do report "postconf -n"
        output.

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
          On Sunday 01 October 2006 16:02, mrk krm wrote:
          > between localhost users/domains, but i can't send or receive outside
          > (internet). My router has the port 25 open and my domain is
          > subsolo.no-ip.org (dynamic dns).

          One small addendum:

          $ telnet subsolo.no-ip.org 25
          Trying 82.154.74.37...
          telnet: connect to address 82.154.74.37: Connection timed out

          You're not reachable from the outside.

          > my log file reports this:
          > > Sep 28 23:33:57 debian postfix/smtp[17578]: F2CCFA3755:
          > > to=<mrk_0@...>, relay=none, delay=57, >status=deferred
          > > (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
          > > name=linuxmail.org type=MX: Host >not found, try again)
          >
          > what could be the error? I searched for 3 days and now i come here to
          > ask your help. thank you a lot.

          Some cheap consumer-grade routers don't support protocols that their
          manufacturers didn't understand, such as DNS. Perhaps your router is
          one of those, only able to retrieve "A" records, unable to retrieve
          other RR types.
        • mrk krm
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
            Hi Wietse,

            thank you for your help.

            i'm able to do the MX lookup as an umprivileged user. But when a do a MX lookup ($dig MX www.hotmail.com) i got the message "connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

            My /etc/resolv.conf has read permissions for all users.

            I turned off the chroot operation in master.conf and i still got the same error.

            Powered by Outblaze
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
              mrk krm:
              > Hi Wietse,
              >
              > thank you for your help.
              >
              > i'm able to do the MX lookup as an umprivileged user. But when
              > a do a MX lookup ($dig MX www.hotmail.com) i got the message
              > "connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

              What is in /etc/resolv.conf?

              Wietse
            • mrk krm
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
                thank you a lot for your help. Now i cand receive e-mail from internet (i couldn't beacause the no-ip.org took 4 days to update the mx record that i set last thursday).

                But i still not being able to send mail.
                Now i changed the relayhost to the smtp host of my isp. I configured the relayhost with autentication (username/password). But i still have the same error when i send messages:

                "Oct 3 13:20:23 debian postfix/postfix-script: stopping the Postfix mail system
                Oct 3 13:20:23 debian postfix/master[21412]: terminating on signal 15
                Oct 3 13:20:23 debian postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
                Oct 3 13:20:23 debian postfix/master[23538]: daemon started -- version 2.1.5
                Oct 3 13:20:36 debian postfix/pickup[23541]: DA63AA3730: uid=5000 from=<discordia@...-ip.org>
                Oct 3 13:20:36 debian postfix/cleanup[23551]: DA63AA3730: message-id=<20061003122036.DA63AA3730@...-ip.org>
                Oct 3 13:20:36 debian postfix/qmgr[23542]: DA63AA3730: from=<discordia@...-ip.org>, size=402, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                Oct 3 13:21:16 debian postfix/smtp[23558]: DA63AA3730: to=<mrk_0@...>, relay=none, delay=40, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=smtp.sapo.pt type=MX: Host not found, try again)"

                The domain host "smtp.sapo.pt" is the host of my isp server.

                My resolv.conf file is like this:

                #nameserver 192.168.1.1
                nameserver 194.65.100.117
                nameserver 192.65.5.2

                - These are the dns servers of my isp

                - My postconf -n output is:

                alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
                alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                append_dot_mydomain = no
                biff = no
                broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
                config_directory = /etc/postfix
                inet_interfaces = all
                mailbox_size_limit = 0
                mydestination = localhost
                mydomain = subsolo.no-ip.org
                myhostname = debian.subsolo.no-ip.org
                mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
                myorigin = /etc/mailname
                recipient_delimiter = +
                relayhost = smtp.sapo.pt
                smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
                smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_password
                smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
                smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
                smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
                smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
                smtpd_use_tls = yes
                virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf, mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf
                virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
                virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
                virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
                virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
                virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

                Powered by Outblaze
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
                  mrk krm:
                  > Oct 3 13:21:16 debian postfix/smtp[23558]: DA63AA3730: to=<mrk_0@...>, relay=none, delay=40, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=smtp.sapo.pt type=MX: Host not found, try again)"
                  > relayhost = smtp.sapo.pt

                  Should be:

                  relayhost = [smtp.sapo.pt]