failover vs outsource

  • greg wm
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006
      hi postfixers,

      been having great fun gathering up the best pieces and cooking up the
      perfect system, but now the next challenge is to gather up a few more
      nines in our reliability rating. i'm facing the question whether to
      implement failover, or bail and outsource instead.

      just how hard is it to implement failover to an alternate location?
      (not just alternate hardware at the same location!) for example,
      arriving mail would need to be arriving on the failover server in
      addition to the primary. i'm running postfix with courier-imap and maia
      mailguard. (no need to forward the spam of course, and that does amount
      to considerable bandwidth.)

      if i got the arriving mail issue worked out, perhaps i'd not worry too
      much about being several hours behind on database updates, though
      offhand i'll bet that keeping mysql synced at an alternate location is a
      problem with more widely known solutions than the arriving mail problem.
      which leads me to wonder if database mail implementations are maturing
      yet.

      if we're going to outsource, i'd prefer to find what we've already got,
      namely, IMAP, clamav and spam filtering, with quarantined spam available
      for review in an IMAP folder. is there any such service out there?

      please pass me pointers to relevant discussions, thanks.

      tia,
      greg wm
      IT Coordinator
      NonviolentPeaceforce.org