Re: FILTER_README suggestions

  • Jason Long
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
      Wietse Venema wrote:

      > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
      > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
      > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?

      I do this, with Postfix header checks to act on it

      I've configured SpamAssassin to add these headers to the message, if
      certain thresholds are met.

      Jason
    • Eray Aslan
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
        On Fri, September 1, 2006 5:53 pm, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > What do people use:
        >
        > - Have the filter return a distinct exit status that says "discard"?
        >
        > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
        > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
        > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?
        >
        > - Something completely different? Maybe no-one uses the pipe+sendmail
        > example and we can drop it from the documentation.

        We use "tag & deliver" a.k.a second option. For some clients, maildrop
        places the mail in appropriate folder. For others, we let the MUA decide
        what to do with tagged mail.

        Basically, quarantining is too much trouble for our end users and we don't
        discard email for fear of false positives.

        I suggest adding some simple maildrop/procmail recipies as examples to
        help the uninitiated.
        --
        Eray
      • Tony Earnshaw
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
          fr den 01.09.2006 Klokka 10:53 (-0400) skreiv Wietse Venema:

          > Postfix's FILTER_README was written long before backscatter became
          > a problem. The first example (see below signature) has a warning
          > not to reject mail:
          >
          > Note: in this time of mail worms and spam, it is a BAD IDEA to
          > send known viruses or spam back to the sender, because that
          > address is likely to be forged. It is safer to discard known
          > to be bad content and to quarantine suspicious content so that
          > it can be inspected by a human being.
          >
          > Unfortunately, the text gives no example of how one would implement
          > this advice. Personally, I use no external filter so I have a hard
          > time coming up with field-tested examples.
          >
          > What do people use:
          >
          > - Have the filter return a distinct exit status that says "discard"?
          >
          > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
          > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
          > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?
          >
          > - Something completely different? Maybe no-one uses the pipe+sendmail
          > example and we can drop it from the documentation.

          FWIW, since I got over the simple filter below and running SpamAssassin
          as a daemon (both years ago), this low-volume (no more than 1500 inbound
          messages per day) site has embraced amavisd.new as pre-queue content
          filter.

          We've configured Postfix/amavisd.new to 5.x.x *reject* virus (Sophos
          SAV-scanned) and non-acceptable attachments (amavisd.new secretly saves
          a copy of these messages on disk anyway and notifies postmaster).

          Spam that makes it through the gamut of Postfix anti-UCE blocks is
          classified as such by dspam and routed to the recipient's IMAP
          quarantine folder.

          *No* mail is ever bounced back to the (forged?) envelope sender, *apart*
          from messages refused by maildrop because of user quota limits.

          I'm very happy with things the way they are.

          --Tonni

          --
          Tony Earnshaw
          reservebergenser
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
            Eray Aslan:
            > On Fri, September 1, 2006 5:53 pm, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > What do people use:
            > >
            > > - Have the filter return a distinct exit status that says "discard"?
            > >
            > > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
            > > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
            > > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?
            > >
            > > - Something completely different? Maybe no-one uses the pipe+sendmail
            > > example and we can drop it from the documentation.
            >
            > We use "tag & deliver" a.k.a second option. For some clients, maildrop
            > places the mail in appropriate folder. For others, we let the MUA decide
            > what to do with tagged mail.

            Thanks to all who recommended the "tag and deliver" approach.

            > Basically, quarantining is too much trouble for our end users and we don't
            > discard email for fear of false positives.
            >
            > I suggest adding some simple maildrop/procmail recipies as examples to
            > help the uninitiated.

            If you have examples to share, it will save me time.

            Wietse
          • /dev/rob0
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
              On Friday 01 September 2006 09:53, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Postfix's FILTER_README was written long before backscatter became
              > a problem. The first example (see below signature) has a warning
              > not to reject mail:
              >
              > Note: in this time of mail worms and spam, it is a BAD IDEA to
              > send known viruses or spam back to the sender, because that
              > address is likely to be forged. It is safer to discard known
              > to be bad content and to quarantine suspicious content so that
              > it can be inspected by a human being.
              >
              > Unfortunately, the text gives no example of how one would implement
              > this advice. Personally, I use no external filter so I have a hard
              > time coming up with field-tested examples.

              Interesting. As readily-available as your address is, I would think
              spam would be a major problem for you.

              > What do people use:

              Amavisd-new with local(8) and address tagging, with ~/.forward+spam
              redirecting to a user-accessible Quarantine folder. I'm very pleased
              with the results. It's smooth and simple, no arcane and difficult
              procmail syntax. It's something I could put within the reach of an
              ordinary user, with a simple example in "/etc/skel/.forward+spam".

              I do change the amavisd-new defaults to D_PASS for all categories but
              virus (and I have not yet had a virus pass through Postfix's defenses.)

              > - Have the filter return a distinct exit status that says "discard"?
              >
              > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
              > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
              > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?
              >
              > - Something completely different? Maybe no-one uses the pipe+sendmail
              > example and we can drop it from the documentation.

              In actual practice I bet few sites are using the simple content filter
              example. However, it is potentially useful as a starting point for one
              who wants to roll his/her own filter.

              > 24 # Specify your content filter here.
              > 25 # filter <in.$$ || {
              > 26 # echo Message content rejected; exit $EX_UNAVAILABLE; }

              You could just expand the comments in the script to list the filter's
              choices. :)
            • Darron Froese
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                On 1-Sep-06, at 8:53 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

                > Unfortunately, the text gives no example of how one would implement
                > this advice. Personally, I use no external filter so I have a hard
                > time coming up with field-tested examples.
                >
                > What do people use:

                We reject some mail directly at SMTP (reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                reject_non_fqdn_sender, check_helo_access,
                reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination,
                reject_unlisted_recipient and a manual domain name blacklist) but
                after that:

                1. Everything that matches a cable, DSL or dialup connection gets
                greylisted with tumgreyspf - configurable with a manual whitelist for
                broken mail servers.
                2. All mail with known viruses get silently discarded (amavisd-new
                and clamav)
                3. Mail gets tagged with SpamAssassin (through amavisd-new and a
                bunch of extra SA plugins)
                4. Clients have the option to discard above a certain SA score or
                filter through a web interface .

                I did up a diagram of it to figure it all out in my mind while I was
                building:

                http://nonfiction.ca/mail-arch.jpg

                Works great for us - brought down my spam levels from 300 / day with
                old Postfix and SA 2.6 down to about 2 or 3 / day.
                --
                darron froese
                principal
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                  On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:53:49AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

                  > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
                  > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
                  > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?

                  I use "badness" headers, then pump all labeled mail into the "hold" queue
                  of a downstream Postfix instance. From the "hold" queue messages are
                  moved into medium term storage (quarantine) and users receive periodic
                  notices of quarantined mail, and are able to click on links to release
                  selected messages. The tools in question are not publically available,
                  perhaps someday...

                • Tony Earnshaw
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                    fr den 01.09.2006 Klokka 12:40 (-0400) skreiv Wietse Venema:

                    [...]

                    > > We use "tag & deliver" a.k.a second option. For some clients, maildrop
                    > > places the mail in appropriate folder. For others, we let the MUA decide
                    > > what to do with tagged mail.
                    >
                    > Thanks to all who recommended the "tag and deliver" approach.
                    >
                    > > Basically, quarantining is too much trouble for our end users and we don't
                    > > discard email for fear of false positives.
                    > >
                    > > I suggest adding some simple maildrop/procmail recipies as examples to
                    > > help the uninitiated.
                    >
                    > If you have examples to share, it will save me time.

                    A couple of dead simple stanzas from a maildrop/dspam setup:

                    in /etc/maildroprc ($VHOME is a variable defined at the head of
                    maildroprc):

                    `test -d $VHOME/Maildir/.dspam-quarantine/`
                    if( $RETURNCODE == 1 )
                    {
                    `/usr/bin/maildirmake "$VHOME/Maildir/.dspam-quarantine"/`
                    }
                    __________________________

                    if ( /^X-DSPAM-Result:[:space:]+Spam$/ )
                    {
                    to "$VHOME/Maildir/.dspam-quarantine"
                    }

                    --Tonni

                    --
                    Tony Earnshaw
                    reservebergenser
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                      On 1-Sep-06, at 10:40 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

                      > If you have examples to share, it will save me time.

                      This is a Sieve recipe that is available to our users:

                      # Delete SpamAssassin blacklisted mails.
                      if header :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :contains "X-Spam-Status"
                      "BLACKLISTED" {
                      discard;
                      stop;
                      }
                      # Delete high score SPAM above 14 SA score (configurable).
                      if allof ( header :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :matches "Subject"
                      "[SPAM]*", header :value "gt" :comparator "i;ascii-numeric" "X-Spam-
                      Score" ["14"] ) {
                      discard;
                      stop;
                      }
                      # Filter Lower Scored Spam for checking.
                      if header :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :matches "Subject" "[SPAM]*" {
                      fileinto "INBOX.spam";
                      stop;
                      }

                      It's their choice what they want to do for their own accounts - this
                      is my personal setup - all managed via a web interface.
                      --
                      darron froese
                      principal
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                        On Fri, September 1, 2006 7:40 pm, Wietse Venema wrote:
                        > If you have examples to share, it will save me time.

                        Here is a sample maildroprc file:

                        maildirmake=/path/to/maildirmake
                        MAILDIR=$DEFAULT
                        JUNK_FOLDER=.Spam

                        _JUNK_DEST=$MAILDIR/$JUNK_FOLDER/

                        #automatically create the Junk folder
                        `test -d $_JUNK_DEST`
                        if ($RETURNCODE != 0 )
                        {
                        `$maildirmake $_JUNK_DEST`
                        # auto subscribe. the following works for courier-imap
                        `echo $_JUNK_DEST >> $MAILDIR/courierimapsubscribed`
                        }

                        # Spam gets tagged with X-Spam-Flag
                        if ( /^X-Spam-Flag: YES/:h )
                        {
                        exception {
                        to "$_JUNK_DEST"
                        }
                        }
                        else
                        {
                        exception {
                        to "$MAILDIR/"
                        }
                        }

                        --
                        Eray
                      • Aaron Bennett
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                          Wietse Venema wrote:
                          > What do people use:

                          I can't speak highly enough of Maia Mailguard. It's based on
                          amavisd-new but allows per-user bayes training, white and blacklists.
                          We're a middling-volume site (about 85K messages per day) and have two
                          dual-xeon mail relays running Maia and uvscan/clamd. The database
                          component of Maia sits on a third box. In our older environment, we had
                          amavisd-new + spamassassin running without per-user training or
                          quarantining or the other benefits of Maia and as a result, we had to be
                          conservative with our SA thresholds to avoid false-positives. Our
                          number 1 complaint was spam -- since we list all or most staff and
                          faculty email on our web page. Now with Maia, we are heroes. Since
                          mid-july when we rolled it out, we've blocked over 600,000 spams with a
                          false positive rate of 0.06% and a false-negative rate of 6.57%. The
                          power is the user-training; it's easy and simple and lets users take
                          effective action against spam. It really lets SpamAssassin shine.

                          --
                          Aaron Bennett
                          Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                            On Fri, September 1, 2006 8:30 pm, Eray Aslan wrote:
                            > On Fri, September 1, 2006 7:40 pm, Wietse Venema wrote:
                            >> If you have examples to share, it will save me time.
                            >
                            > Here is a sample maildroprc file:

                            For the record, here is a working maildroprc file. Please disregard the
                            previous one.

                            maildirmake=/usr/bin/maildirmake
                            MAILDIR=$DEFAULT
                            JUNK_FOLDER=.Spam

                            _JUNK_DEST=$MAILDIR/$JUNK_FOLDER/

                            #automatically create the Junk folder
                            `test -d $_JUNK_DEST`
                            if ($RETURNCODE != 0 )
                            {
                            `$maildirmake $_JUNK_DEST`
                            # auto subscribe. the following works for courier-imap
                            `echo INBOX$JUNK_FOLDER >> $MAILDIR/courierimapsubscribed`
                            }

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                              Wietse Venema wrote:
                              > Postfix's FILTER_README was written long before backscatter became
                              > a problem. The first example (see below signature) has a warning
                              > not to reject mail:
                              >
                              > Note: in this time of mail worms and spam, it is a BAD IDEA to
                              > send known viruses or spam back to the sender, because that
                              > address is likely to be forged. It is safer to discard known
                              > to be bad content and to quarantine suspicious content so that
                              > it can be inspected by a human being.
                              >
                              > Unfortunately, the text gives no example of how one would implement
                              > this advice. Personally, I use no external filter so I have a hard
                              > time coming up with field-tested examples.
                              >
                              > What do people use:
                              >
                              > - Have the filter return a distinct exit status that says "discard"?
                              >
                              > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
                              > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
                              > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?
                              >
                              > - Something completely different? Maybe no-one uses the pipe+sendmail
                              > example and we can drop it from the documentation.

                              I favour tag & deliver, be that to a Junk folder or somewhere else. So I
                              configure the filters to tag all mail (spam or not), and use these in
                              maildrop to deliver to a Junk folder.

                              here is an example with spamassassin + courier-imap (the .folder
                              notation below) + maildrop 2.x

                              if (/^X-Spam-Flag:\s*YES/)
                              {
                              exception {
                              to "$DEFAULT/.Junk/";
                              }
                              }

                              with dspam, this would be
                              if (/^X-DSPAM-Result: Spam/)

                              for amavisd-new banned attachments:
                              if (/^X-Amavis-Alert:\s*BANNED/)

                              for bogofilter, one would use
                              /^X-Bogosity:\s*(\S+),.*\s+spamicity=([\d\.]+)/
                              BOGO_STATUS="${MATCH1}"
                              BOGO_SCORE="${MATCH2}"

                              and decide based on these vars (bogofilter has "unsure" result, so the
                              decision here is not binary).

                              This may be either per-site (maildroprc) or per-user (.mailfilter).

                              PS. One can implement a "commitee" where the final disposition is a
                              function of the individual filter tags (if SA and bogo agree, you have
                              more confidence in the result, ... etc). This however needs real
                              measurements to get any justification...
                            • Jorey Bump
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 1, 2006
                                Wietse Venema wrote:

                                > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
                                > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
                                > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?

                                I tag, then reject/hold/deliver based on the score in a message header
                                (rejecting only in a before-queue content filter). I prefer not to alter
                                anything normally visible to the user (like the subject), but they are
                                able to act on the header information of anything that gets through.

                                I use header_checks for filtering, selectively uncommenting and
                                adjusting the following:

                                # HOLD messages marked as spam by SpamAssassin, for later inspection

                                # REJECT messages marked as spam by SpamAssassin
                                # Use this with a before-queue content filter, only!

                                # REJECT only high scores
                                # Use this with a before-queue content filter, only!

                                # HOLD messages with score in specified range for inspection

                                Only the HOLD rules are relevant to FILTER_README, but I include the
                                rest because I will typically set up an after-queue filter first, then
                                configure the before-queue filter. This way, I can easily switch back to
                                the after-queue filter if there are any problems.
                              • o2 - Marcin Wasilewski
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 4, 2006
                                  > Postfix's FILTER_README was written long before backscatter became
                                  > a problem. The first example (see below signature) has a warning
                                  > not to reject mail:
                                  >
                                  > Note: in this time of mail worms and spam, it is a BAD IDEA to
                                  > send known viruses or spam back to the sender, because that
                                  > address is likely to be forged. It is safer to discard known
                                  > to be bad content and to quarantine suspicious content so that
                                  > it can be inspected by a human being.
                                  >
                                  > Unfortunately, the text gives no example of how one would implement
                                  > this advice. Personally, I use no external filter so I have a hard
                                  > time coming up with field-tested examples.
                                  >
                                  > What do people use:
                                  >
                                  > - Have the filter return a distinct exit status that says "discard"?
                                  >
                                  > - Have the filter insert a "badness" indicator in a message header,
                                  > and dispose of bad mail with Postfix HOLD/DISCARD actions, maildrop
                                  > rules, cyrus sieves, or procmail filters?
                                  >
                                  > - Something completely different? Maybe no-one uses the pipe+sendmail
                                  > example and we can drop it from the documentation.
                                  >
                                  > Wietse
                                  >
                                  > 1 #!/bin/sh
                                  > 2
                                  > 3 # Simple shell-based filter. It is meant to be invoked as follows:
                                  > 4 # /path/to/script -f sender recipients...
                                  > 5
                                  > 6 # Localize these. The -G option does nothing before Postfix 2.3.
                                  > 7 INSPECT_DIR=/var/spool/filter
                                  > 8 SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail -G -i" # NEVER NEVER NEVER use "-t" here.
                                  > 9
                                  > 10 # Exit codes from <sysexits.h>
                                  > 11 EX_TEMPFAIL=75
                                  > 12 EX_UNAVAILABLE=69
                                  > 13
                                  > 14 # Clean up when done or when aborting.
                                  > 15 trap "rm -f in.$$" 0 1 2 3 15
                                  > 16
                                  > 17 # Start processing.
                                  > 18 cd $INSPECT_DIR || {
                                  > 19 echo $INSPECT_DIR does not exist; exit $EX_TEMPFAIL; }
                                  > 20
                                  > 21 cat >in.$$ || {
                                  > 22 echo Cannot save mail to file; exit $EX_TEMPFAIL; }
                                  > 23
                                  > 24 # Specify your content filter here.
                                  > 25 # filter <in.$$ || {
                                  > 26 # echo Message content rejected; exit $EX_UNAVAILABLE; }
                                  > 27
                                  > 28 $SENDMAIL "$@" <in.$$
                                  > 29
                                  > 30 exit $?

                                  Hello,

                                  what do You think about this example: sa_quarantine.sh
                                  #!/bin/bash
                                  #Marcin Wasilewski, 20060904
                                  QUARANTINE_ABOVE=6
                                  REJECT_ABOVE=15
                                  SCORE=0

                                  INSPECT_DIR=/proxsmtp
                                  QUARANTINE_DIR=/proxsmtp/QUARANTINE
                                  EX_TEMPFAIL=75

                                  # Start processing.
                                  cat | spamc | tee $INSPECT_DIR/in.$$ || {
                                  echo -e "Cannot save mail to file"; exit $EX_TEMPFAIL; }

                                  SCORE=`grep '^X-Spam-Status' $INSPECT_DIR/in.$$ | sed 's/.* score=//' | sed
                                  's/ .*//' |sed 's/\..*//'`

                                  if [ "$SCORE" -ge $REJECT_ABOVE ]; then
                                  echo "550 Sorry, your message was flagged as spam and rejected!" >&2
                                  rm -f $INSPECT_DIR/in.$$
                                  exit 1
                                  fi

                                  if [ "$SCORE" -ge $QUARANTINE_ABOVE ]; then
                                  echo "550 Sorry, your message was flagged as spam and quarantined!" >&2
                                  mv $INSPECT_DIR/in.$$ $QUARANTINE_DIR/`date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S`_$RANDOM.eml
                                  exit 1
                                  fi

                                  exit 0
                                  #######################
                                  it is a beta verison that I just create and it works.
                                  It requires: http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/proxsmtp/ to run
                                  proxsmtpd -f proxsmtpd.conf -d 4
                                  where proxsmtpd.conf is:
                                  OutAddress: 10025
                                  FilterCommand: /proxsmtp/sa_quarantine.sh
                                  FilterType: pipe
                                  Listen: 127.0.0.1:10024

                                  and Postfix's master.cf should be:
                                  smtp inet n - - - - smtpd
                                  -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10024

                                  # Re-injection after content filter
                                  127.0.0.1:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
                                  -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=127.0.0.0/8
                                  -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
                                  -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
                                  -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
                                  -o smtpd_data_restrictions=
                                  -o receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks

                                  I didn't test it strong enough to move it to production environment but I
                                  think it may be a good example.
                                  If someone could look at sa_quarantine.sh and correct my sed exp. and other
                                  errors - because I'm sure it can be done in better way :)

                                  Best regards
                                  Marcin