Re: Using Amavisd-new and Filter

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2006
      At 03:42 PM 8/31/2006, Gary V wrote:

      >>Removing the entry from main.cf removes all content
      >>filters from the
      >>path. My postfix passes directly to local from smtpd
      >>without recognizing
      >>either of the content filters.
      >
      >When you tried this approach, did you also add it to
      >master.cf as Noel suggested (and then restarted Postfix)?
      >This should have worked (as an alternative to my
      >suggestion of leaving it in master.cf and disabling it for
      >the pickup service).
      >
      >smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
      > -o content_filter=scan:[127.0.0.1]:10025

      He's submitting the test mail via sendmail(1).

      --
      Noel Jones
    • Gary V
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 31, 2006
        >At 03:42 PM 8/31/2006, Gary V wrote:
        >
        >>>Removing the entry from main.cf removes all content filters from the
        >>>path. My postfix passes directly to local from smtpd without recognizing
        >>>either of the content filters.
        >>
        >>When you tried this approach, did you also add it to master.cf as Noel
        >>suggested (and then restarted Postfix)? This should have worked (as an
        >>alternative to my suggestion of leaving it in master.cf and disabling it
        >>for the pickup service).
        >>
        >>smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
        >> -o content_filter=scan:[127.0.0.1]:10025
        >
        >He's submitting the test mail via sendmail(1).
        >
        >--
        >Noel Jones

        Yet referenced smtpd -> local

        Gary V

        Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 31, 2006
          Dan Williamson wrote:
          > Here is the real life example.
          stop top posting.
          > I decided to use clamsmtpd instead of
          > amavisd to make things less complicated.

          ??
          I would not compare amavisd to clamsmtpd (there are places where I use
          both). I would compare amavisd to SAQ.
          > With only clamsmtpd it works as
          > advertised. The set up I am testing is as follows:
          > Internet or local ==> SMTP (25) ==> CLAMSMTPD (10024) ==> SMTPD return
          > (10025) ==> SAQFilter (pipe) ==> (Back to square one?)
          > Postfix receives on 25, hands off to clamsmtpd to virus check on 10024,
          > uses the hook in the return smtpd on 10025
          you are confused. postfix doesn't "use the hook in the return". It's
          clamsmtp who forwards mail to smtpd:10025.
          > but then loops because it
          > returns to the smtpd after the pipe. Is there a way to tell postfix to
          > return to 10026 for instance? $
          what for? why should postfix post mail to postfix? please show a clear
          example. 10026 doesn't appear above.
          > To do a cleanup and a proper exit from the
          > Filtering pipe? Can I put content_filter= into the cleanup or qmgr or
          > other section to catch it before it loops?

          if your SAQ-something forwards mail via the sendmail command, then you
          should make sure mail submitted via sendmail isn't filtered.

          In general, you have at least 3 approachs at hands:

          1) set content_filter in mainc.cf, and override it in master.cf. notably
          for pickup.
          overriding it for pickup is necessary (at least) when one of your filter
          forwards mail using the sendmail command (which uses pickup).

          2) only set content_filter in master.cf. if using N filters, this may be
          more practical than above.

          3) use multiple instance. not sure you're ready for this though.