blocking mail with asian subject headers

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31 1:26 PM
      I would like to reject all mail with subject headers containing Asian
      characters. Is this possible? Is it wise?

      Peter

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31 3:49 PM
        Peter wrote:
        > I would like to reject all mail with subject headers containing Asian
        > characters. Is this possible? Is it wise?

        is it wise? well, depends on your email. if you're subscribed to public
        lists, then it would be a bad idea. because some asian member may post
        using his MUA which may put asian chars (don't ask'em what you don't ask
        others: many people post html/mail.dat/....). look at archives of mysql
        lists for examples.

        anyway, instead of checking the subject, you may wanna take a look at
        the Content-* headers.
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31 6:22 PM
          --- mouss <usebsd@...> wrote:

          > Peter wrote:
          > > I would like to reject all mail with subject headers containing
          > Asian
          > > characters. Is this possible? Is it wise?
          > >

          > is it wise? well, depends on your email. if you're subscribed to
          > public
          > lists, then it would be a bad idea. because some asian member may
          > post
          > using his MUA which may put asian chars (don't ask'em what you don't
          > ask
          > others: many people post html/mail.dat/....). look at archives of
          > mysql
          > lists for examples.
          >
          > anyway, instead of checking the subject, you may wanna take a look at
          >
          > the Content-* headers.

          What do you mean? Can you elaborate on your last point?

          Peter

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31 10:59 PM
            Peter wrote:
            > --- mouss <usebsd@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Peter wrote:
            >>
            >>> I would like to reject all mail with subject headers containing
            >>>
            >> Asian
            >>
            >>> characters. Is this possible? Is it wise?
            >>>

            >> is it wise? well, depends on your email. if you're subscribed to
            >> public
            >> lists, then it would be a bad idea. because some asian member may
            >> post
            >> using his MUA which may put asian chars (don't ask'em what you don't
            >> ask
            >> others: many people post html/mail.dat/....). look at archives of
            >> mysql
            >> lists for examples.
            >>
            >> anyway, instead of checking the subject, you may wanna take a look at
            >>
            >> the Content-* headers.
            >>

            > What do you mean? Can you elaborate on your last point?

            Look at the Content-Type header for example, mostly the "charset" part.
            if the charset is not supported/readable by you, then ....

            but as I said, don't do that for ML mail, and don't do that for mail
            received by others if they use foreign charsets...