Re: [patch] report actual message size in smtpd message

  • Michael Tokarev
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
      Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Michael Tokarev:
      >> Yes state->act_size may overflow. But if var_message_limit has
      >> sane value, we will notice over-sized message BEFORE act_size will
      >> overflow. And as the result, the only issue left is the mentioned
      >> above misleading diagnostic message. Which can only happen (on a
      >> 32-bit architecture anyway) with amount of data > 2 gigabytes.
      >
      > I would like to avoid reporting "message too large -12345 bytes".

      Ok, I stand corrected. While in 99,999% of cases not checking for
      overflow *just* when printing actual size will be ok... Today I
      received the following postmaster-notification from my patched
      Postfix:

      In: MAIL FROM: ...
      Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
      In: RCPT TO: ...
      Out: 250 2.1.5 Ok
      In: DATA
      Out: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
      Out: 552 5.3.4 Error: message file too big (1412594067 bytes)

      So.. umm. Oh well. They're close... (the limit is the
      default, 10M).

      /mjt