Re: Body checks on incoming only

  • Thomas Domingo Dahlmann
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
      On Tue, August 1, 2006 10:58, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
      > * Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...>:
      >

      >> Okay fair enough ;ø). I only want body_checks on mail coming from
      >> external sources. When I send mail out of the house I don't want it to
      >> be body_checks'ed.
      >
      > You need two instances of Postfix for that. One WITHOUT body_checks
      > bound to the internal interface and one WITH body_checks bound to the
      > external interface.
      >
      > You could also use two smtpd instances with receive_override_options.

      Sound good. Thx.

      /Domingo
      Registered Linux user number 411788
      http://wiki.lnxgeek.org

      > --
      > Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...)
      > spamtrap@... Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung Tel.
      > +49 (0)30-450 570-155
      > http://www.postfix-buch.com
      > Why you can't find your system administrators:
      > they're busy rerouting their support telephone to the luser of the day
      >
      > !DSPAM:44cf18b579521888050393!

    • Kyle Dent
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
        On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:58:58AM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
        > * Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...>:
        >
        > > Okay fair enough ;?). I only want body_checks on mail coming from external
        > > sources. When I send mail out of the house I don't want it to be
        > > body_checks'ed.
        >
        > You need two instances of Postfix for that. One WITHOUT body_checks
        > bound to the internal interface and one WITH body_checks bound to the
        > external interface.
        >
        > You could also use two smtpd instances with receive_override_options.

        I have a How-To at
        http://www.seaglass.com/postfix/turning_off_body_checks.html that
        describes this second option.

        Kyle
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
          Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
          > * Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...>:
          >

          >> Okay fair enough ;ø). I only want body_checks on mail coming from external
          >> sources. When I send mail out of the house I don't want it to be
          >> body_checks'ed.
          >>

          > You need two instances of Postfix for that. One WITHOUT body_checks
          > bound to the internal interface and one WITH body_checks bound to the
          > external interface.
          >
          > You could also use two smtpd instances with receive_override_options.

          or with different cleanup services.
        • Thomas Domingo Dahlmann
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
            On Tue, August 1, 2006 16:08, Kyle Dent wrote:
            > On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:58:58AM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
            >
            >> * Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...>:
            >>

            >>> Okay fair enough ;?). I only want body_checks on mail coming from
            >>> external sources. When I send mail out of the house I don't want it to
            >>> be body_checks'ed.
            >>
            >> You need two instances of Postfix for that. One WITHOUT body_checks
            >> bound to the internal interface and one WITH body_checks bound to the
            >> external interface.
            >>
            >> You could also use two smtpd instances with receive_override_options.
            >>

            > I have a How-To at
            > http://www.seaglass.com/postfix/turning_off_body_checks.html that
            > describes this second option.

            Thx Kyle.

            /Domingo
            Registered Linux user number 411788
            http://wiki.lnxgeek.org

            > Kyle
            >

            > !DSPAM:44cf606d325338108619379!

          • Thomas Domingo Dahlmann
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
              On Wed, August 2, 2006 01:14, mouss wrote:
              > Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
              >
              >> * Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...>:
              >>

              >>> Okay fair enough ;ø). I only want body_checks on mail coming from
              >>> external sources. When I send mail out of the house I don't want it to
              >>> be body_checks'ed.
              >>>

              >> You need two instances of Postfix for that. One WITHOUT body_checks
              >> bound to the internal interface and one WITH body_checks bound to the
              >> external interface.
              >>
              >> You could also use two smtpd instances with receive_override_options.
              >>

              > or with different cleanup services.

              Could you help me with the syntax?

              /Domingo
              Registered Linux user number 411788
              http://wiki.lnxgeek.org

              > !DSPAM:44cfe05725501562027968!

            • Magnus Bäck
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 08:48 CEST,
                Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...> wrote:

                > Could you help me with the syntax?

                master.cf:
                1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                1.2.3.5:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
                127.0.0.1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks

                1.2.3.4 is your external interface and 1.2.3.5 and 127.0.0.1 are your
                internal interfaces. You might be able to get away with

                1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks

                as well, I'm not sure.

                --
                Magnus Bäck
                magnus@...
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                  On Wed, August 2, 2006 10:08, Magnus Bäck wrote:
                  > On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 08:48 CEST,
                  > Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Could you help me with the syntax?
                  >>

                  > master.cf:
                  > 1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                  > 1.2.3.5:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                  > -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
                  > 127.0.0.1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                  > -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
                  >

                  > 1.2.3.4 is your external interface and 1.2.3.5 and 127.0.0.1 are your
                  > internal interfaces. You might be able to get away with
                  >
                  > 1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                  > smtp inet n - n - - smtpd -o
                  > receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
                  >
                  > as well, I'm not sure.

                  I was thinking of the syntax when doing a second cleanup instance. But
                  thanks anyway.

                  /Domingo
                  Registered Linux user number 411788
                  http://wiki.lnxgeek.org

                  > --
                  > Magnus Bäck
                  > magnus@...
                  >
                  > !DSPAM:44d05d7937206811418128!

                • Magnus Bäck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                    On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 11:12 CEST,
                    Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...> wrote:

                    > I was thinking of the syntax when doing a second cleanup instance. But
                    > thanks anyway.

                    1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                    1.2.3.5:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                    -o cleanup_service_name=foocleanup
                    127.0.0.1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                    -o cleanup_service_name=foocleanup
                    foocleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup
                    -o body_checks= -o header_checks=

                    --
                    Magnus Bäck
                    magnus@...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                      On Wed, August 2, 2006 11:25, Magnus Bäck wrote:
                      > On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 11:12 CEST,
                      > Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> I was thinking of the syntax when doing a second cleanup instance. But
                      >> thanks anyway.
                      >
                      > 1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      > 1.2.3.5:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      > -o cleanup_service_name=foocleanup
                      > 127.0.0.1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                      > -o cleanup_service_name=foocleanup
                      > foocleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup -o
                      > body_checks= -o header_checks=

                      Simple an beautiful - nothing like Postfix ;ø)
                      Thx.

                      /Domingo
                      Registered Linux user number 411788
                      http://wiki.lnxgeek.org

                      > --
                      > Magnus Bäck
                      > magnus@...
                      >
                      > !DSPAM:44d0704c187997389134864!

                    • Alex Palenschat
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                        > I have a How-To at
                        > http://www.seaglass.com/postfix/turning_off_body_checks.html that
                        > describes this second option.

                        > Kyle

                        I am trying to do this same thing and bypass the content filter as well.
                        But the difference with my situation is that my postfix is configured as
                        an email firewall/gateway. I have two interfaces, one with a public IP
                        and one an internal IP. If I use inet_interfaces to only have postfix
                        listen on the public IP then it can't forward mail to the internal MDAs.

                        I have tried reading the docs on inet_interfaces and
                        receive_override_options but don't seem to be getting it.
                        If I specify:

                        /etc/postfix/main.cf
                        inet_interfaces = all

                        and in master.cf

                        <Public IP>:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd

                        And

                        <Internal IP>:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                        -o content_filter=
                        -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks

                        Will I accomplish having all external email filtered but all outbound
                        (mail from users) not filtered? Or will this confuse postfix and I need
                        to run two separate instances?

                        alex
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                          At 03:00 PM 8/2/2006, Alex Palenschat wrote:
                          >I am trying to do this same thing and bypass the content
                          >filter as well.
                          >But the difference with my situation is that my postfix is
                          >configured as
                          >an email firewall/gateway. I have two interfaces, one with
                          >a public IP
                          >and one an internal IP. If I use inet_interfaces to only
                          >have postfix
                          >listen on the public IP then it can't forward mail to the
                          >internal MDAs.
                          >

                          >I have tried reading the docs on inet_interfaces and
                          >receive_override_options but don't seem to be getting it.
                          >If I specify:
                          >
                          >/etc/postfix/main.cf
                          >inet_interfaces = all
                          >
                          >and in master.cf
                          >
                          ><Public IP>:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                          >
                          >And
                          >
                          ><Internal IP>:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                          > -o content_filter=
                          > -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
                          >
                          >Will I accomplish having all external email filtered but
                          >all outbound
                          >(mail from users) not filtered? Or will this confuse
                          >postfix and I need
                          >to run two separate instances?
                          >
                          >alex

                          The above sample config looks correct, and should do what
                          you want. Postfix supports multiple smtpd listeners with
                          different settings; that's a fairly common setup. You only
                          need multiple postfix instances if a) you need different
                          transport maps, b) the gyrations in master.cf become so
                          obtuse that the administrator cannot follow it, c) you want
                          to separate the logging.

                          --
                          Noel Jones
                        • Kyle Dent
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                            Alex Palenschat wrote:
                            >> I have a How-To at
                            >> http://www.seaglass.com/postfix/turning_off_body_checks.html that
                            >> describes this second option.
                            >
                            >> Kyle
                            >
                            > I am trying to do this same thing and bypass the content filter as well.
                            > But the difference with my situation is that my postfix is configured as
                            > an email firewall/gateway. I have two interfaces, one with a public IP
                            > and one an internal IP. If I use inet_interfaces to only have postfix
                            > listen on the public IP then it can't forward mail to the internal MDAs.

                            One smtpd instance listens on the public interface and a second smtpd
                            instance listens on the internal one.

                            > I have tried reading the docs on inet_interfaces and
                            > receive_override_options but don't seem to be getting it.
                            > If I specify:
                            >
                            > /etc/postfix/main.cf
                            > inet_interfaces = all
                            >
                            > and in master.cf
                            >
                            > <Public IP>:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                            >
                            > And
                            >
                            > <Internal IP>:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                            > -o content_filter=
                            > -o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks
                            >
                            > Will I accomplish having all external email filtered but all outbound
                            > (mail from users) not filtered? Or will this confuse postfix and I need
                            > to run two separate instances?

                            You probably don't have to specify the public IP address in master.cf.
                            Otherwise, this should do what you want.

                            Kyle
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                              Thomas Domingo Dahlmann wrote:
                              > On Wed, August 2, 2006 11:25, Magnus Bäck wrote:
                              >
                              >> On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 11:12 CEST,
                              >> Thomas Domingo Dahlmann <domingo@...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >>> I was thinking of the syntax when doing a second cleanup instance. But
                              >>> thanks anyway.
                              >>>
                              >> 1.2.3.4:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                              >> 1.2.3.5:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                              >> -o cleanup_service_name=foocleanup
                              >> 127.0.0.1:smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
                              >> -o cleanup_service_name=foocleanup
                              >> foocleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup -o
                              >> body_checks= -o header_checks=
                              >>

                              > Simple an beautiful - nothing like Postfix ;ø)
                              > Thx.

                              That said, using multiple instances is cleaner, provided you find the
                              overhead of managing multiple instances (write a script to
                              start/stop/postqueue/... etc) but once this is done, you'll get the
                              benefits of simple configuration (no more -o in master.cf, different
                              syslog names, ...).
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                                Kyle Dent wrote:
                                >> I am trying to do this same thing and bypass the content filter as well.
                                >> But the difference with my situation is that my postfix is configured as
                                >> an email firewall/gateway. I have two interfaces, one with a public IP
                                >> and one an internal IP. If I use inet_interfaces to only have postfix
                                >> listen on the public IP then it can't forward mail to the internal MDAs.
                                >
                                > One smtpd instance listens on the public interface and a second smtpd
                                > instance listens on the internal one.

                                <nitpick>
                                we use the term instance for different instances of postfix: ie when
                                your run postfix multiple times with different config dirs and queue dirs.
                                if using multiple smtpd in one master.cf, the term "multiple listeners"
                                or "multiple smtpd listeners" is used
                                </nitpick>