Re: downcase mails

  • Jorey Bump
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2006
      mouss wrote:
      > Sandy Drobic wrote:
      >> Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

      >>> I always thought just the DOMAIN PART was case sensitive.
      >>> Quite sure about that :)
      >>>

      >> Quote from RFC 2821:
      >>
      >> 2.4 General Syntax Principles and Transaction Model
      > There you have:
      > "The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive."
      > which contradicts your "Evaluation of the localpart must be case
      > insensitive".

      This is context-dependent. The important point is that, during SMTP, one
      must make no assumptions about the sender's choice of case in the
      local-part, and MUST preserve it. Evaluation is an entirely different
      animal, and obviously needs to be case insensitive in many contexts,
      including access controls and filters, because we all know that
      Joe.User@... likes to present himself in a Professional Manner.

      > While it is safer to ignore case for ones own mailboxes, you can not
      > force other people to do so.

      Absolutely correct. This is an end user issue. If the recipient domain
      requires and enforces a case sensitive local-part, the sender must adapt
      (as must the owner of the address in question, who could very well be
      using an invalid return address that won't work with the Reply function).

      > My understanding of the OP problem is that he wants to ignore case in
      > his mailboxes, but his cyrus does not like that. so he has a cyrus issue
      > (lmtp_downcase_rcpt).

      No, he's talking about his own users sending messages to other domains
      outside of his control. This is not a local issue. He MUST NOT pursue
      the solution he is suggesting (downcasing the local-part of all
      recipient addresses), or he is in violation of the RFC.