Whitelists

  • Ashutosh Mohanty
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2006
      Hi,

      I just want to creat creat whitelist ofr my wantted senders, look at my following configuration is there anything worng ?

      smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                                  check_sender_access = hash:/etc/postfix/rejected_map_addresses

      Any help would be delightful!

      Best Regards:

      Ashutosh Mohanty

      SynaptiCAD Inc.

      Visit us at:: www.syncad.com

      =========
      This Communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient (s) and shall not attach any liability on the originator or SynaptiCAD Inc./its Subsidiaries. If you are the addressee, the contents of this email are intended for your use only and it shall not be forwarded to any third party, without first obtaining written authorization from the originator or SynaptiCAD Inc./its Subsidiaries. It may contain information which is confidential and legally privileged and the same shall not be used or dealt with by any third party in any manner whatsoever without the specific consent of SynaptiCAD Inc./its Subsidiaries.
      =========
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2006
        * Ashutosh Mohanty <ashutosh@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just want to creat creat whitelist ofr my wantted senders, look at my following configuration is there anything worng ?
        >
        > smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
        > check_sender_access = hash:/etc/postfix/rejected_map_addresses

        smtpd_sender_restrictions =
        check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/rejected_map_addresses
        reject_non_fqdn_sender

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
        http://www.postfix-buch.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
          I see there is a way to whitelist domain. Is it possible to whitelist
          sender email address? Also, if I am running several filters, will
          postfix automatically disable filtering for this sender email address?

          Thanks in advance
        • /dev/rob0
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
            On Sunday 01 January 2012 21:56:43 Roman Gelfand wrote:
            > I see there is a way to whitelist domain.

            Numerous ways, depending on what you mean by "domain".

            > Is it possible to whitelist sender email address?

            FWIW (very little, in fact) there is check_sender_access. Not a good
            tool for whitelisting, because every email address is used as sender
            by spammers, sooner or later.

            http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_sender_access

            > Also, if I am running several filters, will postfix
            > automatically disable filtering for this sender email address?

            Nothing is automatic. You either configure filtering, or not. Why
            would you want to bypass filtering? Do you want to receive "bad"
            content [which claims to be] from that address?

            You might do better here if you describe the problem you have that
            you're wanting to solve. Generally I believe that whitelisting is the
            wrong approach when spam blocking is too aggressive; if you take out
            unsafe and unreasonable restrictions, most good mail will go through.

            If you're having trouble implementing something, see here:

          • Roman Gelfand
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
              I am using the following directive for filtering. The mail goes
              through 2 grey listing filters, bl lookup using policy_daemon, dkim,
              spf, dspam, etc... I don't want to start adding a whitelist entry to
              every filter.

              smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
              permit_mynetworks,
              reject_unauth_destination,
              check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/dspam_check_aliases,
              check_sender_access pcre:/etc/postfix/dspam_check_aliases,
              check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:2501,
              check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:5525,
              reject_unlisted_recipient,
              check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:12525

              On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@...> wrote:
              > On Sunday 01 January 2012 21:56:43 Roman Gelfand wrote:
              >> I see there is a way to whitelist domain.
              >
              > Numerous ways, depending on what you mean by "domain".
              >
              >> Is it possible to whitelist sender email address?
              >
              > FWIW (very little, in fact) there is check_sender_access. Not a good
              > tool for whitelisting, because every email address is used as sender
              > by spammers, sooner or later.
              >
              > http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html
              > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#check_sender_access
              >
              >> Also, if I am running several filters, will postfix
              >> automatically disable filtering for this sender email address?
              >
              > Nothing is automatic. You either configure filtering, or not. Why
              > would you want to bypass filtering? Do you want to receive "bad"
              > content [which claims to be] from that address?
              >
              > You might do better here if you describe the problem you have that
              > you're wanting to solve. Generally I believe that whitelisting is the
              > wrong approach when spam blocking is too aggressive; if you take out
              > unsafe and unreasonable restrictions, most good mail will go through.
              >
              > If you're having trouble implementing something, see here:
              >
              > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              > --
              >  http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting
              >  Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
            • Stan Hoeppner
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
                On 1/1/2012 11:19 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
                > I am using the following directive for filtering. The mail goes
                > through 2 grey listing filters, bl lookup using policy_daemon, dkim,
                > spf, dspam, etc... I don't want to start adding a whitelist entry to
                > every filter.
                >
                > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                > permit_mynetworks,
                > reject_unauth_destination,
                check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/whitelist
                > check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/dspam_check_aliases,
                > check_sender_access pcre:/etc/postfix/dspam_check_aliases,
                > check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:2501,
                > check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:5525,
                > reject_unlisted_recipient,
                > check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:12525

                /etc/postfix/whitelist
                example.com permit_auth_destination
                user@... permit_auth_destination

                After creating or modifying /etc/postfix/whitelist do

                $ postmap whitelist

                See: man 5 access

                --
                Stan
              • /dev/rob0
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
                  On Monday 02 January 2012 09:26:18 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
                  > On 1/1/2012 11:19 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
                  > > I am using the following directive for filtering. The mail goes
                  > > through 2 grey listing filters, bl lookup using policy_daemon,
                  > > dkim, spf, dspam, etc... I don't want to start adding a
                  > > whitelist entry to every filter.

                  Roman mentioned "filters", so naturally I thought he was referring to
                  content filtering. Bypassing restrictions is done as Stan showed.

                  > > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                  > >
                  > > permit_mynetworks,
                  > > reject_unauth_destination,
                  >
                  > check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/whitelist

                  My only additional suggestion would be that the filename should
                  reflect a bit more of how it is used, i.e., "sender_whitelist".