Which method to utilize for two domains?

  • Justin Piszcz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      I have two domains, domainA.com and domainB.com, which configuration is
      best to use?

      1) Each domain is on its own IP.

      IP1 = domainA (nic1)
      IP2 = domainB (nic2)

      Somehow, configure postfix to bind to a certain IP depending upon the
      domain you are using sending outbound e-mail.

      2) Each domain is on its own IP on the same NIC.

      IP1 = domainA (nic1)
      IP2 = domainB (nic1)

      3) The best method? Assign both domains on the same IP.

      domainA -> IP1 (forward & reverse)
      domainB -> IP2 (forward & reverse)

      Then, no matter which domain you 'use' to send out e-mail, the IP will
      always match the domain.

      I am curious what other methods that members of the list have used?

      Thanks,

      Justin.
    • Justin Piszcz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        > domainB -> IP1 (forward & reverse)
        Typo.

        On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Justin Piszcz wrote:

        > I have two domains, domainA.com and domainB.com, which configuration is best
        > to use?
        >
        > 1) Each domain is on its own IP.
        >
        > IP1 = domainA (nic1)
        > IP2 = domainB (nic2)
        >
        > Somehow, configure postfix to bind to a certain IP depending upon the domain
        > you are using sending outbound e-mail.
        >
        > 2) Each domain is on its own IP on the same NIC.
        >
        > IP1 = domainA (nic1)
        > IP2 = domainB (nic1)
        >
        > 3) The best method? Assign both domains on the same IP.
        >
        > domainA -> IP1 (forward & reverse)
        > domainB -> IP2 (forward & reverse)
        >
        > Then, no matter which domain you 'use' to send out e-mail, the IP will always
        > match the domain.
        >
        > I am curious what other methods that members of the list have used?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Justin.

      • Magnus Bäck
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          On Saturday, July 01, 2006 at 12:29 CEST,
          Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...> wrote:

          > I have two domains, domainA.com and domainB.com, which configuration is
          > best to use?
          >
          > 1) Each domain is on its own IP.
          >
          > IP1 = domainA (nic1)
          > IP2 = domainB (nic2)
          >
          > Somehow, configure postfix to bind to a certain IP depending upon the
          > domain you are using sending outbound e-mail.
          >
          > 2) Each domain is on its own IP on the same NIC.
          >
          > IP1 = domainA (nic1)
          > IP2 = domainB (nic1)

          These two are totally equivalent.

          > 3) The best method? Assign both domains on the same IP.
          >
          > domainA -> IP1 (forward & reverse)
          > domainB -> IP2 (forward & reverse)
          >
          > Then, no matter which domain you 'use' to send out e-mail, the IP will
          > always match the domain.
          >
          > I am curious what other methods that members of the list have used?

          One IP address for all domains is the typical choice.

          --
          Magnus Bäck
          magnus@...