Interesting behaviour of mydestination

  • James Lay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2006
      Hey all!

      So I have had a weird thing going on....to condense this, I'll just
      give the short version. I have:

      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
      permit_mynetworks,
      check_recipient_access regexp:/etc/postfix/reject_users

      set. My reject-users looks like:

      jlay@... OK
      /*.@.../ REJECT 550 user
      unknown

      My mydestination WAS set at:

      mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain

      Now...this machine has many names...mail and homebox are 2 of them.
      When an email was sent to say, testuser@..., I'd get
      the NOQUEUE user unknown and all was fine. But...if an email came in
      for: 3c20060303062031.170d852f@...-tothe-box.net (which is a
      real one that came through) it would get passed through. Is there a
      reason that sending to *.@...-tothe-box.net would let any
      username through? I'm guessing I had something set wrong or didn't
      understand something as well as I thought I did. Right now
      mydestination is set to mail.$mydomain and now I don't see this issue.
      If anyone could shed some light on this, it would sure help understand
      what I did/set wrong. Thanks!

      James
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2006
        James Lay:
        > Hey all!
        >
        > So I have had a weird thing going on....to condense this, I'll just
        > give the short version. I have:
        >
        > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        > permit_mynetworks,
        > check_recipient_access regexp:/etc/postfix/reject_users
        >
        > set. My reject-users looks like:
        >
        > jlay@... OK
        > /*.@.../ REJECT 550 user
        > unknown
        >
        > My mydestination WAS set at:
        >
        > mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
        >
        > Now...this machine has many names...mail and homebox are 2 of them.
        > When an email was sent to say, testuser@..., I'd get
        > the NOQUEUE user unknown and all was fine. But...if an email came in
        > for: 3c20060303062031.170d852f@...-tothe-box.net (which is a
        > real one that came through) it would get passed through. Is there a
        > reason that sending to *.@...-tothe-box.net would let any
        > username through? I'm guessing I had something set wrong or didn't
        > understand something as well as I thought I did. Right now
        > mydestination is set to mail.$mydomain and now I don't see this issue.
        > If anyone could shed some light on this, it would sure help understand
        > what I did/set wrong. Thanks!

        For problem reports, see instructions in the mailing list welcome
        message, which is repeated below.

        Wietse

        Welcome to the postfix-users mailing list.

        This list is for questions and discussions concerning the installation,
        configuration and operation of the Postfix mail system.

        IMPORTANT INFORMATION IMPORTANT INFORMATION IMPORTANT INFORMATION

        Thank you for using Postfix.