mailman+postfix+virtual domains, relay_domains ok, but postfix won't relay

  • michael@michaelshiloh.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
      Hello,

      After setting up postfix and mailman and virtual domains, I created my first
      list and added my local self a yahoo email address. If I send email to the
      list I receive it at my local email address, but the message to my yahoo
      account is blocked as postfix claims it looks like a relay.

      Note that I can send email from my local email address to this same yahoo
      email address with no difficulty. I do understand that when mailman sends a
      message it follows a different path than when I send one from Pine.

      Pine, mailman, postfix are all on this same computer

      The error message is:

      Jun 2 22:31:41 mail postfix/smtpd[320]: 5077A3C0C03: reject: RCPT from
      localhost[127.0.0.1]: 554 <foo@...>: Relay access denied;
      from=<mylist-bounces@..._domain.org> to=<foo@...>
      proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.mydomain.com>

      and here is the output of postconf -n:

      alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
      debug_peer_level = 2
      html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/html
      local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      mail_owner = postfix
      mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
      manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
      mydomain = mydomain.com
      myhostname = mail.mydomain.com
      mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/16
      newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/readme
      relay_domains = $mydestination, mail.virt_domain.org
      relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
      sample_directory = /etc/postfix
      sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
      setgid_group = postdrop
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
      virtual_alias_domains = < a bunch of domains > , virt_domain.org
      virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias

      as you can see, the from domain is in my relay_domains. Why won't it relay?
      How can I allow it to relay?

      Thanks,
      Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
        On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:58:14AM -0700, michael@... wrote:

        > Jun 2 22:31:41 mail postfix/smtpd[320]: 5077A3C0C03: reject: RCPT from
        > localhost[127.0.0.1]:
        >
        > mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/16

        There's your problem.

        system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

      • michael@michaelshiloh.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
          On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Victor Duchovni wrote:

          > On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:58:14AM -0700, michael@... wrote:
          >
          >> Jun 2 22:31:41 mail postfix/smtpd[320]: 5077A3C0C03: reject: RCPT from
          >> localhost[127.0.0.1]:
          >>
          >> mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/16
          >
          > There's your problem.

          Thanks. I'm trying to understand what exactly is the problem. Are you saying
          that when mailman connects to my smtp host, which is the same computer, it
          appears to be coming from a different network (like 127.0.0.1 perhaps)?

          So is my solution to add 127.0.0.1 to mynetworks?

          I beg for a slight expansion of this hint.

          Thanks,
          Michael
        • Magnus Bäck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
            On Saturday, June 03, 2006 at 18:04 CEST,
            michael@... wrote:

            > On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Victor Duchovni wrote:
            >
            > > On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:58:14AM -0700, michael@... wrote:
            > >
            > > > Jun 2 22:31:41 mail postfix/smtpd[320]: 5077A3C0C03: reject:
            > > > RCPT from localhost[127.0.0.1]:
            > > >
            > > > mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/16
            > >
            > > There's your problem.
            >
            > Thanks. I'm trying to understand what exactly is the problem. Are you
            > saying that when mailman connects to my smtp host, which is the same
            > computer, it appears to be coming from a different network (like
            > 127.0.0.1 perhaps)?

            Yes. The quoted log clearly says the the connection is coming from the
            loopback interface.

            > So is my solution to add 127.0.0.1 to mynetworks?

            Yes.

            --
            Magnus Bäck
            magnus@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
              On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Magnus Bäck wrote:

              > On Saturday, June 03, 2006 at 18:04 CEST,
              > michael@... wrote:

              >>> There's your problem.
              >>
              >> Thanks. I'm trying to understand what exactly is the problem. Are you
              >> saying that when mailman connects to my smtp host, which is the same
              >> computer, it appears to be coming from a different network (like
              >> 127.0.0.1 perhaps)?
              >
              > Yes. The quoted log clearly says the the connection is coming from the
              > loopback interface.

              Oh! I see. It is right there.

              >> So is my solution to add 127.0.0.1 to mynetworks?
              >
              > Yes.

              and it does indeed solve the problem. Thanks Victor, and thanks Magnus for the
              explanation.

              Michael