Re: My HELO Message

  • Greg Hackney
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Pablo Cruz Navea wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server. How
      > can I see it?
      >
      > Thanks to all.
      You can see what HELO string value Postfix will use with a couple of
      commands. For example:

      $ postconf smtp_helo_name
      smtp_helo_name = $myhostname

      $ postconf myhostname
      myhostname = myhost.mydomain.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 05:26:37PM -0400, Pablo Cruz Navea wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server. How
        > can I see it?

        : run; postconf smtp_helo_name

        If that returns:

        smtp_helo_name = $myhostname

        then recurse with:

        : run; postconf myhostname

        If you change either in the "smtp unix" entry in master.cf, look at the
        value there.

        To log it, "debug_peer_list = 1.2.3.4", where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address
        of some machine to which you are about to send a test message. Then reload,
        and the HELO/EHLO name will be in the logs.

        system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

      • Michael J Wise
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          On Jun 1, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Pablo Cruz Navea wrote:

          > I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server.
          > How can I see it?

          Send yourself a piece of email?

          Granted, it doesn't show ALL the details, but... most of it is there.
          For instance, from the Received: header of one of my previous
          submissions:

          camomile.cloud9.net (Postfix) ...

          My server HELO's as lucite.kapu.net (1st instance)
          and has a rDNS of lucite.kapu.net (2nd instance).

          Aloha mai Nai`a!
          --
          "Please have your Internet License http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
          and Usenet Registration handy..."