My HELO Message

  • Pablo Cruz Navea
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi,

      I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server. How
      can I see it?

      Thanks to all.
    • Greg Hackney
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Pablo Cruz Navea wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server. How
        > can I see it?
        >
        > Thanks to all.
        You can see what HELO string value Postfix will use with a couple of
        commands. For example:

        $ postconf smtp_helo_name
        smtp_helo_name = $myhostname

        $ postconf myhostname
        myhostname = myhost.mydomain.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 05:26:37PM -0400, Pablo Cruz Navea wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server. How
          > can I see it?

          : run; postconf smtp_helo_name

          If that returns:

          smtp_helo_name = $myhostname

          then recurse with:

          : run; postconf myhostname

          If you change either in the "smtp unix" entry in master.cf, look at the
          value there.

          To log it, "debug_peer_list = 1.2.3.4", where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address
          of some machine to which you are about to send a test message. Then reload,
          and the HELO/EHLO name will be in the logs.

          system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

        • Michael J Wise
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            On Jun 1, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Pablo Cruz Navea wrote:

            > I wanna see the HELO message which is sent by my Postrfix server.
            > How can I see it?

            Send yourself a piece of email?

            Granted, it doesn't show ALL the details, but... most of it is there.
            For instance, from the Received: header of one of my previous
            submissions:

            camomile.cloud9.net (Postfix) ...

            My server HELO's as lucite.kapu.net (1st instance)
            and has a rDNS of lucite.kapu.net (2nd instance).

            Aloha mai Nai`a!
            --
            "Please have your Internet License http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
            and Usenet Registration handy..."