delivery to maildirs with procmail

  • Roberto Scattini
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      hi everybody:

      im using virtual domains and want to deliver mails to maildirs on a openafs
      volume. i have searched for a solution about the link()/unlink() vs rename()
      problem on this and other mailing lists. i dont want to patch postfix, but i
      really need a solution for this. Finally i've found that procmail already
      uses rename() for maildir delivey so i wolud like to use it. the problem is
      that i dont get how to set up virtual to pass mails to procmail for final
      delivery.

      for what ive readed i think that i should add an entry in master.cf for
      procmail and add a transport_maps entry on main.cf.

      if someone could give a hint or point me to the right docs i would be very
      gratefull.

      Roberto Scattini

      Sabe más sobre la próxima generación del MSN Messenger.
      http://imagine-msn.com/minisites/messenger/default.aspx?locale=es-ar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 07:08:28PM +0000, Roberto Scattini wrote:

        > hi everybody:
        >
        > im using virtual domains and want to deliver mails to maildirs on a openafs
        > volume. i have searched for a solution about the link()/unlink() vs
        > rename() problem on this and other mailing lists. i dont want to patch
        > postfix, but i really need a solution for this. Finally i've found that
        > procmail already uses rename() for maildir delivey so i wolud like to use
        > it. the problem is that i dont get how to set up virtual to pass mails to
        > procmail for final delivery.

        The maildir protocol is not compatible with AFS. Changing the protocol
        violates its reliability guarantees. Only local unix filesystems, or
        correctly implemented NFS srevers are suitable for maildir.

        system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          Roberto Scattini:
          > hi everybody:
          >
          > im using virtual domains and want to deliver mails to maildirs on a openafs
          > volume. i have searched for a solution about the link()/unlink() vs rename()
          > problem on this and other mailing lists. i dont want to patch postfix, but i
          > really need a solution for this. Finally i've found that procmail already
          > uses rename() for maildir delivey so i wolud like to use it. the problem is
          > that i dont get how to set up virtual to pass mails to procmail for final
          > delivery.
          >
          > for what ive readed i think that i should add an entry in master.cf for
          > procmail and add a transport_maps entry on main.cf.
          >
          > if someone could give a hint or point me to the right docs i would be very
          > gratefull.

          I'm sorry, but AFS is not suitable for this purpose. Working
          around this with rename() is unacceptable, because it will
          result in silent loss of email.