My postfix system refuses to talk to some private daemons( virtual, trivial-rewrite, others not tested )

  • miha
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi all,

      please have a look at the attached files for further info.

      In short, I upgraded my linux box from SuSE 9.1 to 10.1 and the postfix
      system stopped working. For what I could understand from the log files, it
      should be something involving file permissions or user/group permissions
      of some postfix daemons!? But I couldn't figure out what it is. For
      instance, what intrigued me was that the local transport daemon works just
      fine, the virtual one does not. It appears to me that they both have the
      same entries in master.cf. Delivery to local recipients works.

      attachments

      mail1.lst: output from command postfinger --all
      mail2.lst: an excerpt from /var/log/mail

      Please ask me for further details if needed.

      I will appreciate any help.

      Thanks, Miha
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:45:35PM +0200, miha wrote:

        > Jun 1 14:27:49 sabotin postfix/qmgr[6631]: warning: connect to transport virtual: Operation not permitted

        Disable or fix SE-Linux.

        > --Specific file and directory permissions--
        > drwx-wx--- 2 postfix maildrop 48 2006-05-02 09:36 /var/spool/postfix/maildrop

        What is /var/spool/postfix/maildrop? If it is an IMAP mailbox directory
        tree, it should not reside inside /usr/postfix, and MUST not be owned by
        the "postfix" user. Please fix this. The virtual_uid_maps = static:<uid>
        value must not be the same as the uid of the "postfix" ($mail_owner) user.

        > drwx------ 2 postfix root 576 2006-06-01 11:48 /var/spool/postfix/private
        > total 0
        > srw-rw-rw- 1 postfix postfix 0 2006-06-01 11:48 virtual

        Thanks for that, very useful.

        system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

      • Sandy Drobic
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          miha wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > please have a look at the attached files for further info.
          >
          > In short, I upgraded my linux box from SuSE 9.1 to 10.1 and the postfix
          > system stopped working. For what I could understand from the log files, it
          > should be something involving file permissions or user/group permissions
          > of some postfix daemons!? But I couldn't figure out what it is. For
          > instance, what intrigued me was that the local transport daemon works just
          > fine, the virtual one does not. It appears to me that they both have the
          > same entries in master.cf. Delivery to local recipients works.

          Suse 10.1 comes with AppArmor, which has a profile for Postfix. For any
          file access not defined in that profile you get "Operation not permitted".
          Either switch AppArmor into learning mode to modify the profile or
          deactivate AppArmor entirely.

          Sandy