RE: VMware and plus addressing

  • Brian Collins
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
      > I'm not sure how this all relates to Postfix but, did they ever make the
      > claim that those characters are invalid in an e-mail address?
      >
      > It could simply be that their database (or other) software is unable to
      > handle it.

      In their letter to Jorey they said, "...update your profile to include an
      email address without the characters above." My thought is that if they're
      going to accept an email address as a login ID, they should accept valid
      email addresses. If the problem is in their CRM/database software, perhaps
      they should consider their criteria for login IDs to make them something
      other than email addresses (and effective way to do that would be to also
      exclude '@' from login IDs). But it's not a perfect world, and I'm thinking
      perhaps they've chosen the least troublesome path, which is to inconvenience
      only the users who have email addresses with these "invalid" characters.

      --Brian
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
        Brian Collins wrote:
        >> I'm not sure how this all relates to Postfix but, did they ever make the
        >> claim that those characters are invalid in an e-mail address?
        >>
        >> It could simply be that their database (or other) software is unable to
        >> handle it.
        >>

        > In their letter to Jorey they said, "...update your profile to include an
        > email address without the characters above." My thought is that if they're
        > going to accept an email address as a login ID, they should accept valid
        > email addresses. If the problem is in their CRM/database software, perhaps
        > they should consider their criteria for login IDs to make them something
        > other than email addresses (and effective way to do that would be to also
        > exclude '@' from login IDs). But it's not a perfect world, and I'm thinking
        > perhaps they've chosen the least troublesome path, which is to inconvenience
        > only the users who have email addresses with these "invalid" characters.

        They can decide whatever user-mgmt/addressing scheme suits them. if that
        breaks a contract they have with you, then sue them. otherwise, you have
        nothing to say (unless they hire you as a consultant).

        so let's please end this thread.