Re: receiving multiple mails when one of the email id is wrong in postfix 2.1.5 on fc3

  • ankush grover
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006

      > Does this occur even without mailscanner? Show logs and postconf -n
      > (not postconf).

      I am attaching the logs of postfix + mailscanner (logs.txt) ,
      fetchmail logs(fetchmailogs.txt) and also postconf -n output
      (postfix.txt).

      I am changed the user names and my domain name in these logs (for
      security purpose) but I haven't changed anything apart from these
      names.

      Further details

      Local domain name is sun.net
      ISP/DNS Domain name is testing.com
      catchall mailbox name is testing@...
      Relay Host is mail.testing.com

      In the logs (logs.txt) you can see there is a mail for user
      test2,test3,test4,test5 and there is one wrong email id of test6 as
      this user does not exist. Now all the legitimate users will get the
      mails and the mail with the wrong mail id goes to the ISP server into
      the catchall mailbox. The fetchmail downloads the mails from the ISP
      server and then the problem starts again those mails are distributed
      to the users test2,test3,test4,test5 and again the mail for the user
      test6 goes to the catchall mailbox and the process continues until
      this mail returned with the following error

      <test6@...>
      (reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)
      (expanded from: <test6@...>)

      554 5.4.6 Too many hops 27 (25 max): from <test1@...> via
      61.11.28.71.bb-static.vsnl.net.in, to <test6@...>

      I am not able to understand how to get rid of this problem. I hope
      this time I am able to make you people understand my problem.

      Please let me know if you need any further inputs.

      Thanks & Regards

      Ankush Grover