receiving multiple mails when one of the email id is wrong in postfix 2.1.5 on fc3

  • ankush grover
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 2:08 AM
      hey friends,

      I am using Postfix 2.1.5 on FC3 for quite some time. My scenario is like this

      I am using fetchmail to download the mails for my domain from the ISP
      and then distribute these mails through postfix to the respective
      users, I am using MailScanner for scanning mails + Squirrelmail as
      webmail + Dovecot as Pop/Imap Server + Clamav as Antivirus +
      SpamAssassin.

      The problem starts when one the user sends the mail to some users
      within the network means to the users on the Intranet Mail Server and
      if one of the email id is wrong in TO/CC/BCC field of that mail then
      all the receipients of that mail starts receiving multiple mails.I
      have defined the users for my domain in virtual file.

      One more thing my directors are not using the Intranet Mail Server
      they are directly downloading the mails from the ISP so I have to take
      care that if the user is sending mails to them that mail does not get
      bounced and the users should be able to receive mails from them also.

      output of postconf

      2bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
      access_map_reject_code = 554
      address_verify_default_transport = $default_transport
      address_verify_local_transport = $local_transport
      address_verify_map =
      address_verify_negative_cache = yes
      address_verify_negative_expire_time = 3d
      address_verify_negative_refresh_time = 3h
      address_verify_poll_count = 3
      address_verify_poll_delay = 3s
      address_verify_positive_expire_time = 31d
      address_verify_positive_refresh_time = 7d
      address_verify_relay_transport = $relay_transport
      address_verify_relayhost = $relayhost
      address_verify_sender = postmaster
      address_verify_service_name = verify
      address_verify_transport_maps = $transport_maps
      address_verify_virtual_transport = $virtual_transport
      alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
      allow_mail_to_commands = alias, forward
      allow_mail_to_files = alias, forward
      allow_min_user = no
      allow_percent_hack = yes
      allow_untrusted_routing = no
      alternate_config_directories =
      always_bcc =
      append_at_myorigin = yes
      append_dot_mydomain = yes
      application_event_drain_time = 100s
      backwards_bounce_logfile_compatibility = yes
      berkeley_db_create_buffer_size = 16777216
      berkeley_db_read_buffer_size = 131072
      best_mx_transport =
      biff = yes
      body_checks =
      body_checks_size_limit = 51200
      bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
      bounce_queue_lifetime = 5d
      bounce_service_name = bounce
      bounce_size_limit = 50000
      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
      canonical_maps =
      cleanup_service_name = cleanup
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      command_expansion_filter =
      1234567890!@%-_=+:,./abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
      command_time_limit = 1000s
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
      daemon_timeout = 18000s
      debug_peer_level = 2
      debug_peer_list =
      default_database_type = hash
      default_delivery_slot_cost = 5
      default_delivery_slot_discount = 50
      default_delivery_slot_loan = 3
      default_destination_recipient_limit = 50
      default_extra_recipient_limit = 1000
      default_minimum_delivery_slots = 3
      default_privs = nobody
      default_process_limit = 100
      default_rbl_reply = $rbl_code Service unavailable; $rbl_class
      [$rbl_what] blocked using $rbl_domain${rbl_reason?; $rbl_reason}
      default_recipient_limit = 10000
      default_transport = smtp
      default_verp_delimiters = +=
      defer_code = 450
      defer_service_name = defer
      defer_transports =
      delay_notice_recipient = postmaster
      delay_warning_time = 0h
      deliver_lock_attempts = 20
      deliver_lock_delay = 1s
      disable_dns_lookups = no
      disable_mime_input_processing = no
      disable_mime_output_conversion = no
      disable_verp_bounces = nldconfig -v o
      disable_vrfy_command = no
      dont_remove = 0
      double_bounce_sender = double-bounce
      duplicate_filter_limit = 1000
      empty_address_recipient = MAILER-DAEMON
      enable_errors_to = no
      enable_original_recipient = yes
      error_notice_recipient = postmaster
      error_service_name = error
      expand_owner_alias = no
      export_environment = TZ MAIL_CONFIG
      fallback_relay =
      fallback_transport =
      fast_flush_domains = $relay_domains
      fast_flush_purge_time = 7d
      fast_flush_refresh_time = 12h
      fault_injection_code = 0
      flush_service_name = flush
      fork_attempts = 5
      fork_delay = 1s
      forward_expansion_filter =
      1234567890!@%-_=+:,./abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
      forward_path = $home/.forward${recipient_delimiter}${extension}, $home/.forward
      hash_queue_depth = 1
      hash_queue_names = incoming, active, deferred, bounce, defer, flush, hold, trace
      header_address_token_limit = 10240
      header_size_limit = 102400
      helpful_warnings = yes
      home_mailbox = Maildir/
      hopcount_limit = 50
      html_directory = no
      ignore_mx_lookup_error = no
      import_environment = MAIL_CONFIG MAIL_DEBUG MAIL_LOGTAG TZ XAUTHORITY DISPLAY
      in_flow_delay = 1s
      inet_interfaces = all
      initial_destination_concurrency = 5
      invalid_hostname_reject_code = 501
      ipc_idle = 100s
      ipc_timeout = 3600s
      ipc_ttl = 1000s
      line_length_limit = 2048
      lmtp_bind_address =
      lmtp_bind_address6 =
      lmtp_cache_connection = yes
      lmtp_connect_timeout = 0s
      lmtp_data_done_timeout = 600s
      lmtp_data_init_timeout = 120s
      lmtp_data_xfer_timeout = 180s
      lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
      lmtp_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
      lmtp_lhlo_timeout = 300s
      lmtp_mail_timeout = 300s
      lmtp_quit_timeout = 300s
      lmtp_rcpt_timeout = 300s
      lmtp_rset_timeout = 120s
      lmtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
      lmtp_sasl_password_maps =
      lmtp_sasl_security_options = noplaintext, noanonymous
      lmtp_send_xforward_command = no
      lmtp_skip_quit_response = no
      lmtp_tcp_port = 24
      lmtp_xforward_timeout = 300s
      local_command_shell =
      local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
      local_destination_recipient_limit = 1
      local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
      local_transport = local:$myhostname
      luser_relay =
      mail_name = Postfix
      mail_owner = postfix
      mail_release_date = 20040915
      mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
      mail_version = 2.1.5
      mailbox_command =
      mailbox_command_maps =
      mailbox_delivery_lock = fcntl, dotlock
      mailbox_size_limit = 51200000
      mailbox_transport =
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
      manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
      maps_rbl_domains =
      maps_rbl_reject_code = 554
      masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
      masquerade_domains = sun.net
      masquerade_exceptions =
      max_idle = 100s
      max_use = 100
      maximal_backoff_time = 4000s
      maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
      message_size_limit = 51200000
      mime_boundary_length_limit = 2048
      mime_header_checks = $header_checks
      mime_nesting_limit = 100
      minimal_backoff_time = 1000s
      multi_recipient_bounce_reject_code = 550
      mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
      mydomain = sun.net
      myhostname = test1.sun.net
      mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
      mynetworks_style = subnet
      myorigin = $mydomain
      nested_header_checks = $header_checks
      non_fqdn_reject_code = 504
      notify_classes = resource, software
      owner_request_special = yes
      parent_domain_matches_subdomains =
      debug_peer_list,fast_flush_domains,mynetworks,permit_mx_backup_networks,qmqpd_authorized_clients,relay_domains,smtpd_access_maps
      permit_mx_backup_networks =
      pickup_service_name = pickup
      prepend_delivered_header = command, file, forward
      process_id_directory = pid
      propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical, virtual
      proxy_interfaces =
      proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination
      $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
      $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains
      $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps
      $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks
      qmgr_clog_warn_time = 300s
      qmgr_fudge_factor = 100
      qmgr_message_active_limit = 20000
      qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 20000
      qmgr_message_recipient_minimum = 10
      qmqpd_authorized_clients =
      qmqpd_error_delay = 1s
      qmqpd_timeout = 300s
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      queue_file_attribute_count_limit = 100
      queue_minfree = 0
      queue_run_delay = 1000s
      queue_service_name = qmgr
      rbl_reply_maps =
      readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/README_FILES
      receive_override_options =
      recipient_bcc_maps =
      recipient_canonical_maps =
      recipient_delimiter = +
      reject_code = 554
      relay_clientcerts =
      relay_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
      relay_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
      relay_domains = $mydestination
      relay_domains_reject_code = 554
      relay_recipient_maps =
      relay_transport = relay
      relayhost = xxx.xxxx.xxxxx
      relocated_maps =
      require_home_directory = no
      resolve_dequoted_address = yes
      resolve_null_domain = no
      rewrite_service_name = rewrite
      sender_based_routing = no
      sender_bcc_maps =
      sender_canonical_maps =
      service_throttle_time = 60s
      setgid_group = postdrop
      show_user_unknown_table_name = yes
      showq_service_name = showq
      smtp_always_send_ehlo = yes
      smtp_bind_address =
      smtp_bind_address6 =
      smtp_connect_timeout = 30s
      smtp_data_done_timeout = 600s
      smtp_data_init_timeout = 120s
      smtp_data_xfer_timeout = 180s
      smtp_defer_if_no_mx_address_found = no
      smtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
      smtp_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
      smtp_enforce_tls = no
      smtp_helo_name = $myhostname
      smtp_helo_timeout = 300s
      smtp_host_lookup = dns
      smtp_line_length_limit = 990
      smtp_mail_timeout = 300s
      smtp_mx_address_limit = 0
      smtp_mx_session_limit = 2
      smtp_never_send_ehlo = no
      smtp_pix_workaround_delay_time = 10s
      smtp_pix_workaround_threshold_time = 500s
      smtp_quit_timeout = 300s
      smtp_quote_rfc821_envelope = yes
      smtp_randomize_addresses = yes
      smtp_rcpt_timeout = 300s
      smtp_rset_timeout = 120s
      smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = $var_smtp_sasl_opts
      smtp_sasl_tls_verified_security_options = $var_smtp_sasl_tls_opts
      smtp_send_xforward_command = no
      smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = yes
      smtp_skip_quit_response = yes
      smtp_starttls_timeout = 300s
      smtp_tls_CAfile =
      smtp_tls_CApath =
      smtp_tls_cert_file =
      smtp_tls_cipherlist =
      smtp_tls_dcert_file =
      smtp_tls_dkey_file = $smtp_tls_dcert_file
      smtp_tls_enforce_peername = yes
      smtp_tls_key_file = $smtp_tls_cert_file
      smtp_tls_loglevel = 0
      smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = no
      smtp_tls_per_site =
      smtp_tls_scert_verifydepth = 5
      smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
      smtp_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
      smtp_use_tls = no
      smtp_xforward_timeout = 300s
      smtpd_authorized_verp_clients = $authorized_verp_clients
      smtpd_authorized_xclient_hosts =
      smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts =
      smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
      smtpd_client_connection_count_limit = 50
      smtpd_client_connection_limit_exceptions = $mynetworks
      smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 0
      smtpd_client_restrictions =
      smtpd_data_restrictions =
      smtpd_delay_reject = yes
      smtpd_enforce_tls = no
      smtpd_error_sleep_time = 1s
      smtpd_etrn_restrictions =
      smtpd_expansion_filter =
      \t\40!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
      smtpd_hard_error_limit = 20
      smtpd_helo_required = no
      smtpd_helo_restrictions =
      smtpd_history_flush_threshold = 100
      smtpd_junk_command_limit = 100
      smtpd_noop_commands =
      smtpd_null_access_lookup_key = <>
      smtpd_policy_service_max_idle = 300s
      smtpd_policy_service_max_ttl = 1000s
      smtpd_policy_service_timeout = 100s
      smtpd_proxy_ehlo = $myhostname
      smtpd_proxy_filter =
      smtpd_proxy_timeout = 100s
      smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000
      smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit = 1000
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,
      check_relay_domains
      smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = yes
      smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = no
      smtpd_restriction_classes =
      smtpd_sasl_application_name = smtpd
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
      smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks =
      smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
      smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtpd_sasl_security_options
      smtpd_sender_login_maps =
      smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
      permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
      reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org, reject_rbl_client
      opm.blitzed.org, reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
      reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client
      cbl.abuseat.org, reject_rbl_client dul.dsnbl.sorbs.net,
      permit
      smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10
      smtpd_starttls_timeout = 300s
      smtpd_timeout = 300s
      smtpd_tls_CAfile =
      smtpd_tls_CApath =
      smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = no
      smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
      smtpd_tls_ccert_verifydepth = 5
      smtpd_tls_cert_file =
      smtpd_tls_cipherlist =
      smtpd_tls_dcert_file =
      smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file =
      smtpd_tls_dh512_param_file =
      smtpd_tls_dkey_file = $smtpd_tls_dcert_file
      smtpd_tls_key_file = $smtpd_tls_cert_file
      smtpd_tls_loglevel = 0
      smtpd_tls_received_header = no
      smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
      smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
      smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
      smtpd_tls_wrappermode = no
      smtpd_use_tls = no
      soft_bounce = no
      stale_lock_time = 500s
      strict_7bit_headers = no
      strict_8bitmime = no
      strict_8bitmime_body = no
      strict_mime_encoding_domain = no
      strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
      sun_mailtool_compatibility = no
      swap_bangpath = yes
      syslog_facility = mail
      syslog_name = postfix
      tls_daemon_random_bytes = 32
      tls_daemon_random_source =
      tls_ipv6_version = 1.25
      tls_random_bytes = 32
      tls_random_exchange_name = ${config_directory}/prng_exch
      tls_random_prng_update_period = 60s
      tls_random_reseed_period = 3600s
      tls_random_source =
      trace_service_name = trace
      transport_maps =
      transport_retry_time = 60s
      trigger_timeout = 10s
      undisclosed_recipients_header = To: undisclosed-recipients:;
      unknown_address_reject_code = 450
      unknown_client_reject_code = 450
      unknown_hostname_reject_code = 450
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
      unknown_relay_recipient_reject_code = 550
      unknown_virtual_alias_reject_code = 550
      unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code = 550
      unverified_recipient_reject_code = 450
      unverified_sender_reject_code = 450
      verp_delimiter_filter = -=+
      virtual_alias_domains = $virtual_alias_maps
      virtual_alias_expansion_limit = 1000
      virtual_alias_maps = $virtual_maps
      virtual_alias_recursion_limit = 1000
      virtual_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
      virtual_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
      virtual_gid_maps =
      virtual_mailbox_base =
      virtual_mailbox_domains = $virtual_mailbox_maps
      virtual_mailbox_limit = 51200000
      virtual_mailbox_lock = fcntl
      virtual_mailbox_maps =
      virtual_minimum_uid = 100
      virtual_transport = virtual
      virtual_uid_maps =

      Please let me know if you need any further inputs.

      Thanks & Regards

      Ankush Grover
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31 9:58 AM
        On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:38:37PM +0530, ankush grover wrote:

        > hey friends,
        >

        > I am using Postfix 2.1.5 on FC3 for quite some time. My scenario is like
        > this
        >
        > I am using fetchmail to download the mails for my domain from the ISP
        > and then distribute these mails through postfix to the respective
        > users, I am using MailScanner for scanning mails + Squirrelmail as
        > webmail + Dovecot as Pop/Imap Server + Clamav as Antivirus +
        > SpamAssassin.
        >
        > The problem starts when one the user sends the mail to some users
        > within the network means to the users on the Intranet Mail Server and
        > if one of the email id is wrong in TO/CC/BCC field of that mail then
        > all the receipients of that mail starts receiving multiple mails.I
        > have defined the users for my domain in virtual file.

        You committing the ultimate sin, redistributing delivered mail to
        *header* recipients. You MUST NEVER do this. If the ISP mailbox from
        which fetchmail pulls mail does not record the envelope recipients,
        you cannot use it as a transient multi-user mailstore. Otherwise you
        must deliver only to the appropriate envelope recipient address(es).

        system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

      • ankush grover
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31 10:26 AM

          > You committing the ultimate sin, redistributing delivered mail to
          > *header* recipients. You MUST NEVER do this. If the ISP mailbox from
          > which fetchmail pulls mail does not record the envelope recipients,
          > you cannot use it as a transient multi-user mailstore. Otherwise you
          > must deliver only to the appropriate envelope recipient address(es).
          >
          > --
          > Viktor.
          hey Mr. Viktoc,

          I think I am not able to make you and others understand my problem.
          Let me explain my scenario again

          We have 3 accounts with our ISP 2 accounts are used by my directors
          and 1 is catchall. Through fetchmail I download the mails from the
          catchall account and redistribute among the users within my network.
          As our is a small company and the company want to stick with 3
          accounts policy for the time being.

          The problem which I described before occurs when a user within the LAN
          sends the mail to another user within the LAN.

          There are 15 users on my Intranet Mail Server and if any user sends
          the mail to some users within the LAN in this case mail does not goes
          to the Internet , the Intranet Mail Server here MTA is Postfix knows
          the Local users and so forwards to the mail to their respective
          accounts.Now if any user within the LAN sends a mail to wrong email id
          for example a user john is sending mails to mary, tom,dick,honey,shyam
          now if he entered any email id with wrong address then all the
          receipients starts receiving multiple mails. There is no role of
          fetchmail in this as the mails are handled by the Postfix +
          MailScanner.

          I hope this time I am able to make you and others understand my
          scenario and the problem.

          Can you guide me what changes are required to solve this problem ?

          Thanks & Regards

          Ankush Grover
        • Devdas Bhagat
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31 11:58 AM
            On 31/05/06 14:38 +0530, ankush grover wrote:
            <snip>
            I suggest fixing the external broken setup.

            > The problem starts when one the user sends the mail to some users
            > within the network means to the users on the Intranet Mail Server and
            > if one of the email id is wrong in TO/CC/BCC field of that mail then
            > all the receipients of that mail starts receiving multiple mails.I
            > have defined the users for my domain in virtual file.

            Does this occur even without mailscanner? Show logs and postconf -n
            (not postconf).

            > One more thing my directors are not using the Intranet Mail Server
            > they are directly downloading the mails from the ISP so I have to take
            > care that if the user is sending mails to them that mail does not get
            > bounced and the users should be able to receive mails from them also.

            http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#some_local

            Devdas Bhagat
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31 4:51 PM
              On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:28:07AM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

              > On 31/05/06 14:38 +0530, ankush grover wrote:
              > <snip>
              > I suggest fixing the external broken setup.
              >
              > > The problem starts when one the user sends the mail to some users
              > > within the network means to the users on the Intranet Mail Server and
              > > if one of the email id is wrong in TO/CC/BCC field of that mail then
              > > all the receipients of that mail starts receiving multiple mails.I
              > > have defined the users for my domain in virtual file.
              > >
              > Does this occur even without mailscanner? Show logs and postconf -n
              > (not postconf).
              >
              > > One more thing my directors are not using the Intranet Mail Server
              > > they are directly downloading the mails from the ISP so I have to take
              > > care that if the user is sending mails to them that mail does not get
              > > bounced and the users should be able to receive mails from them also.
              >
              > http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#some_local

              I think the problem is deeper. It seems that the OP is reviving header
              recipients. If that is not done, the rest of the issues will probably
              go away.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006

                > Does this occur even without mailscanner? Show logs and postconf -n
                > (not postconf).

                I am attaching the logs of postfix + mailscanner (logs.txt) ,
                fetchmail logs(fetchmailogs.txt) and also postconf -n output
                (postfix.txt).

                I am changed the user names and my domain name in these logs (for
                security purpose) but I haven't changed anything apart from these
                names.

                Further details

                Local domain name is sun.net
                ISP/DNS Domain name is testing.com
                catchall mailbox name is testing@...
                Relay Host is mail.testing.com

                In the logs (logs.txt) you can see there is a mail for user
                test2,test3,test4,test5 and there is one wrong email id of test6 as
                this user does not exist. Now all the legitimate users will get the
                mails and the mail with the wrong mail id goes to the ISP server into
                the catchall mailbox. The fetchmail downloads the mails from the ISP
                server and then the problem starts again those mails are distributed
                to the users test2,test3,test4,test5 and again the mail for the user
                test6 goes to the catchall mailbox and the process continues until
                this mail returned with the following error

                <test6@...>
                (reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)
                (expanded from: <test6@...>)

                554 5.4.6 Too many hops 27 (25 max): from <test1@...> via
                61.11.28.71.bb-static.vsnl.net.in, to <test6@...>

                I am not able to understand how to get rid of this problem. I hope
                this time I am able to make you people understand my problem.