canonical name?

  • Defryn, Guy
    Message 1 of 11 , May 28, 2006

      Hi there,

      This is my first posting. I am new to postfix and most things mail related.
      We are looking at replacing sendmail and I am just having a bit of a play with postfix.

      I setup postfix and mailman on a test server and managed to get a basic setup to go.

      One of the things I did notice is that when I send an email to one of my lists it appears

      as mailman@.... I would like it to appear as mailman@...

      My hostname on the server is set to lists.mydomain.com and I have set it to the same in

      my postfix main.cf file and mailman’s mm_cfg.py file

      In the DNS the machine has a hostname of it012345.mydomain.com and its alias is called lists.mydomain.com.

      Changing this the other way around could fix but that goes against our policy.
      Is there a way I can achieve this through postfix?

      Cheers

      /*----------------------------------------------

      +Guy Defryn

      +Systems Engineer

      +Information Technology Services

      + Massey University

      + Palmerston North , New Zealand

      +Ph: +64 6 3505799 ext.2874

      ----------------------------------------------*/

    • Laurent CARON
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2006
        Defryn, Guy wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >

        > This is my first posting. I am new to postfix and most things mail related.
        > We are looking at replacing sendmail and I am just having a bit of a
        > play with postfix.
        >
        > I setup postfix and mailman on a test server and managed to get a basic
        > setup to go.
        >

        > One of the things I did notice is that when I send an email to one of my
        > lists it appears
        >
        > as mailman@... <mailto:mailman@...>.
        > I would like it to appear as mailman@...
        > <mailto:mailman@...>
        >

        > My hostname on the server is set to lists.mydomain.com and I have set it
        > to the same in
        >
        > my postfix main.cf file and mailman’s mm_cfg.py file
        >

        > In the DNS the machine has a hostname of it012345.mydomain.com and its
        > alias is called lists.mydomain.com.
        >
        > Changing this the other way around could fix but that goes against our
        > policy.
        > Is there a way I can achieve this through postfix?

        myorigin = ....
      • Defryn, Guy
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29, 2006
          I have specified myorigin as $myhostname.
          $myhostname is set to lists.mydomain.com

          This did not resolve the problem. Messages still appear to be
          coming from it012345@...

          <mailto:mailman@...>.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2006
            Defryn, Guy wrote:
            > I have specified myorigin as $myhostname.
            > $myhostname is set to lists.mydomain.com
            >
            > This did not resolve the problem. Messages still appear to be
            > coming from it012345@...

            please show output of postconf -n
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2006
              Defryn, Guy wrote:
              > Hi there,
              >

              > This is my first posting. I am new to postfix and most things mail
              > related.
              > We are looking at replacing sendmail and I am just having a bit of a
              > play with postfix.
              >
              > I setup postfix and mailman on a test server and managed to get a basic
              > setup to go.
              >

              > One of the things I did notice is that when I send an email to one of my
              > lists it appears
              >
              > as mailman@.... I would like it to appear as
              > mailman@...
              >

              > My hostname on the server is set to lists.mydomain.com and I have set it
              > to the same in
              >
              > my postfix main.cf file and mailman's mm_cfg.py file

              logs and postconf -n.

              I suspect the message was posted using Sendmail (i.e. the sendmail
              command "points" to Sendmail, not to postfix sendmail compatibility
              command).
              check your logs.
            • Defryn, Guy
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2006
                I had a look at /var/log/maillog but I can't see anything that
                Refers to sendmail in there.

                Sendmail_path is set to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

                Message 7 of 11 , May 30, 2006
                  Defryn, Guy wrote:
                  > I had a look at /var/log/maillog but I can't see anything that
                  > Refers to sendmail in there.
                  >
                  > Sendmail_path is set to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

                  Don't top post.

                  so check the DEBUG README and follow it. In particular, send logs that
                  show the problem. Without these, we don't even know if postfix have ever
                  seen the mail you're talking about.
                • Defryn, Guy
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 30, 2006
                    Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:14:08 +1200
                    From: "Defryn, Guy" <G.P.Defryn@...>
                    To: <mailman@...>
                    Subject: [Mailman] test again
                    Sender: mailman-bounces@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 30, 2006
                      On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:32:38PM +1200, Defryn, Guy wrote:

                      > by its-mail1.mydomain.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id MAA19299
                      > for <mailman@...>; Wed, 31 May 2006 12:18:11 +1200 (NZST)

                      Sendmail 8.9.3 received mail addressed to <mailman@...>
                      and forwarded it to Postfix as <mailmail@...>.

                      Presumably Sendmail CNAME Expanded the recipient domain per RFC 821,
                      a practice that is no longer recommended by RFC 2821, but Sendmail 8.9.3
                      predates RFC 2821's release in Apr 2001.

                      http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/old-new.html

                      Removing $[...$] here and there in rulesets 3 and 0 may help, but clearly
                      this is not the forum for fine tuning sendmail.cf.

                      system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

                    • Defryn, Guy
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 30, 2006
                        Thanks for picking that up Viktor.
                        I have renamed the interface in the dns to lists.massey.ac.nz (instead
                        of it022607 and having lists as an alias) and that resolved it as well.

                        Good to see that it was not a postfix issue after all

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
                          I said
                          > what program did you use to send this
                          > mail. This is the right place to fix the problem, instead of hacking
                          > into postfix.

                          so I'll repeat it for the 3d time: what program did you use to post that
                          mail?

                          if you can't answer our questions, we won't answer yours.

                          PS. I don't know what is postfix-users@........