Re: virtual mailboxes

  • Magnus Bäck
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 10:49 AM
      On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:50 CEST,
      Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:

      > But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
      > both as virtual domain and $mydestination...

      Correct.

      > In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?

      Nothing, for example. You can leave it empty if you like. In some cases
      it's practical to have localhost and localhost.$mydomain listed in
      mydestination.

      Stop top-posting.

      --
      Magnus Bäck
      magnus@...
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 11:15 AM
        Magnus Bäck wrote:
        > On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:50 CEST,
        > Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:
        >

        >> But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
        >> both as virtual domain and $mydestination...
        >>

        > Correct.
        >

        >> In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?
        >>

        > Nothing, for example. You can leave it empty if you like. In some cases
        > it's practical to have localhost and localhost.$mydomain listed in
        > mydestination.
        >
        > Stop top-posting.

        Thanks for your help! :)
        .. and sorry about the top-posting...

        Pedro
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2007
          Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:50:05AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
          >
          >> Ralf Hildebrandt:
          >>
          >>> No, you'd have to do it this way:
          >>>
          >>> generic@... generic@...
          >>>
          >>> and then add
          >>> domain.delivered.by.local
          >>> to $mydestination
          >>>
          >>> In alias_maps you then use:
          >>> generic: "|/some/script"
          >>>
          >> Alternatively, you can use a transport map:
          >>
          >> /etc/postfix/transport:
          >> user@... script:
          >>
          >> /etc/postfix/master.cf:
          >> script unix - n n - - pipe
          >> user=xxx flags=yyy argv=/some/where/script ...
          >>
          >> See pipe(8) man page for options.
          >>
          >> Which of the two is better depends on the features needed.
          >>

          > Would you please provide documentation pointers where I can find the
          > pros and cons of both methods ? Or if it doesn't exist, provide
          > a short description of the differences ?

          if you have a lot of scripts, you don't want to pollute master.cf. so
          aliases are the way to go.

          if you only have few scripts, then transport entries may be simpler.
          Scripts started via aliases run as the owner of the alias file (unless
          this is root, in which case they run as nobody). so if you have scripts
          that need to run as special users, you need to split your alias file.
          not a real issue, but one that is easily overlooked.