Re: virtual mailboxes

  • Magnus Bäck
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2006
      On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 18:15 CEST,
      Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:

      > I'm using postfix 2.1.5 + dovecot 0.99.14 to handle my company's email
      > and so far so good...
      >
      > But things started to grow up quickly and now I have not only the
      > previous mymaindomain.tld but also mysecondmain.tld and
      > mythirddomain.tld to manage.
      >
      > So.. I'm thinking of moving from a more simple "unix-user" aproach to a
      > virtual mailbox aproach.
      >
      > So... I followed the postfix virtual hosting "how to" and setted up a
      > test system:
      >
      > -Followed the postfix virtual hosting 2how-to"
      > -Static user DB+ mysql password DB for dovecot
      > -Told dovecot to fech mail in: /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
      >
      > So far so good. I managed to tell postfix to deliver the emails of
      > myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld to /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
      > The problem is with mymaindomain.tld, dovecot is feching mail from "
      > /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u ", but postfix is still delivering
      > mymaindomain.tld to /var/mail/.
      >
      > How can I make postfix deliver also mymaindomain.tld to
      > /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u " ?

      By making mymaindomain.tld a virtual mailbox domain as well,
      just like myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld.

      --
      Magnus Bäck
      magnus@...
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2006
        On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:50 CEST,
        Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:

        > But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
        > both as virtual domain and $mydestination...

        Correct.

        > In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?

        Nothing, for example. You can leave it empty if you like. In some cases
        it's practical to have localhost and localhost.$mydomain listed in
        mydestination.

        Stop top-posting.

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2006
          Magnus Bäck wrote:
          > On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:50 CEST,
          > Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:
          >

          >> But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
          >> both as virtual domain and $mydestination...
          >>

          > Correct.
          >

          >> In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?
          >>

          > Nothing, for example. You can leave it empty if you like. In some cases
          > it's practical to have localhost and localhost.$mydomain listed in
          > mydestination.
          >
          > Stop top-posting.

          Thanks for your help! :)
          .. and sorry about the top-posting...

          Pedro
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 27, 2007
            Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:50:05AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
            >
            >> Ralf Hildebrandt:
            >>
            >>> No, you'd have to do it this way:
            >>>
            >>> generic@... generic@...
            >>>
            >>> and then add
            >>> domain.delivered.by.local
            >>> to $mydestination
            >>>
            >>> In alias_maps you then use:
            >>> generic: "|/some/script"
            >>>
            >> Alternatively, you can use a transport map:
            >>
            >> /etc/postfix/transport:
            >> user@... script:
            >>
            >> /etc/postfix/master.cf:
            >> script unix - n n - - pipe
            >> user=xxx flags=yyy argv=/some/where/script ...
            >>
            >> See pipe(8) man page for options.
            >>
            >> Which of the two is better depends on the features needed.
            >>

            > Would you please provide documentation pointers where I can find the
            > pros and cons of both methods ? Or if it doesn't exist, provide
            > a short description of the differences ?

            if you have a lot of scripts, you don't want to pollute master.cf. so
            aliases are the way to go.

            if you only have few scripts, then transport entries may be simpler.
            Scripts started via aliases run as the owner of the alias file (unless
            this is root, in which case they run as nobody). so if you have scripts
            that need to run as special users, you need to split your alias file.
            not a real issue, but one that is easily overlooked.