Re: Postfix antispam in combination with fetchmail?

  • Jef Driesen
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2006
      Simon Waters wrote:
      >>> I think you are making the set up over elaborate.
      >> I know that I can do the spam detection in my email client (thunderbird
      >> here). That's how I do it now and it works relatively well with only one
      >> PC. But I want to be able to access my mailbox from other PCs as well.
      >> That's why I want to setup an internal mailserver, where I can access
      >> the mailbox over imap. And then I could as well adding the spam/virus
      >> detection at the server level.
      >
      > Pipe into spamassassin via .procmailrc ? Worked reasonably well here for a
      > long time before with braved greylisting and RBLs, and took advantage of the
      > fact we are terminating the SMTP transaction.

      Do you mean calling procmail directly from fetchmail? Or with a MTA
      (postfix) in between?
    • Jef Driesen
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2006
        mouss wrote:

        >>> I know that I can do the spam detection in my email client (thunderbird
        >>> here). That's how I do it now and it works relatively well with only one
        >>> PC. But I want to be able to access my mailbox from other PCs as well.
        >>> That's why I want to setup an internal mailserver, where I can access
        >>> the mailbox over imap. And then I could as well adding the spam/virus
        >>> detection at the server level.
        >>>

        >> Pipe into spamassassin via .procmailrc ? Worked reasonably well here
        >> for a long time before with braved greylisting and RBLs, and took
        >> advantage of the fact we are terminating the SMTP transaction.
        >>

        > The advantage of using postfix instead is that your mail is queued
        > quickly, so fetchmail doesn't need to keep the connection with the
        > pop/imap server open until mail is filtered. Now, this doesn't seem to
        > be what the OP is asking for as he apparently wants to keep a copy of
        > non-spam mail on the pop/imap server.
        >
        > If the OP can make sure the right error is given back to fetchmail, then
        > procmail/maildrop is probably the right way. Otherwise, using an MTA (+
        > forward mail to another address to be able to read it from other places)
        > may be another solution.

        Leaving the non-spam on the pop server is not absolutely required, but
        rather a nice thing to have. Forwarding to another address has the
        downside that every (non-spam) message has to be re-send, and my upload
        speed/volume is rather limited by my isp.