Re: main.cf $myorigin issue

  • Magnus Bäck
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 14:14 CEST,
      Stuart Murray-Smith <eight32@...> wrote:

      > Platform: FC4
      > Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14
      >
      > I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)
      >
      > When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
      > originating email addy renders as:
      >
      > user@...
      >
      > Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?

      How should we know? Show logs. Show "postconf -n" output.

      > I've also hashed out the $myorigin reference to localhost in:
      >
      > /etc/postfix/main.cf.default,
      >
      > // which I know shouldn't be done but needed to prove that Postfix
      > wasn't loading this var from main.cf.default as the preferred default

      Postfix does not ever ever read main.cf.default.

      > And even after restarting Postfix,
      >
      > ~ /usr/sbin/postconf -d | grep -i 'localhost'
      >
      > still reports:
      >
      > mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost

      1. What's mydestination got to do with this?
      2. "postconf -d" shows the default value.

      [...]

      --
      Magnus Bäck
      magnus@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
        > Greetings list
        >
        > Platform: FC4
        > Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14
        >
        > I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)
        >
        > When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
        > originating email addy renders as:
        >
        > user@...
        >
        > Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?

        You'll get more help if you follow the recommendations in

        Some possibilities:

        - your MUA is generating those addresses already. This may happen if the
        MUA is a (not configured) webmail system for example.
        - you submit the mail via Sendmail, which clealry won't use postfix
        configuration.
      • Jonathan JoKoT3 Gibert
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          2006/5/1, mouss <usebsd@...>:
          > Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
          > > Greetings list
          > >
          > > Platform: FC4
          > > Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14
          > >
          > > I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)
          > >
          > > When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
          > > originating email addy renders as:
          > >
          > > user@...
          > >
          > > Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?
          >
          > You'll get more help if you follow the recommendations in
          > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
          >
          > Some possibilities:
          >
          > - your MUA is generating those addresses already. This may happen if the
          > MUA is a (not configured) webmail system for example.
          > - you submit the mail via Sendmail, which clealry won't use postfix
          > configuration.

          What "hostname" command say ? (on server sure).