main.cf $myorigin issue

  • Stuart Murray-Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      Greetings list

      Platform: FC4
      Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14

      I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)

      When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
      originating email addy renders as:

      user@...

      Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?

      I've also hashed out the $myorigin reference to localhost in:

      /etc/postfix/main.cf.default,

      // which I know shouldn't be done but needed to prove that Postfix
      wasn't loading this var from main.cf.default as the preferred default

      And even after restarting Postfix,

      ~ /usr/sbin/postconf -d | grep -i 'localhost'

      still reports:

      Also:

      -----8<----------8<----------8<-----

      ~ cat /etc/hosts

      127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
      192.168.1.10 h0st.d0main.tld h0st

      -----8<----------8<----------8<-----

      ~ cat /etc/postfix/main.cf

      myhostname = h0st.d0main.tld
      mydomain = d0main.tld
      myorigin = $mydomain
      inet_interfaces = all
      mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
      mynetworks_style = host
      mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

      -----8<----------8<----------8<-----

      I'd appreciate any insight into this.

      TiA

      Blessings,

      Stuart

      --
      Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 14:14 CEST,
        Stuart Murray-Smith <eight32@...> wrote:

        > Platform: FC4
        > Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14
        >
        > I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)
        >
        > When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
        > originating email addy renders as:
        >
        > user@...
        >
        > Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?

        How should we know? Show logs. Show "postconf -n" output.

        > I've also hashed out the $myorigin reference to localhost in:
        >
        > /etc/postfix/main.cf.default,
        >
        > // which I know shouldn't be done but needed to prove that Postfix
        > wasn't loading this var from main.cf.default as the preferred default

        Postfix does not ever ever read main.cf.default.

        > And even after restarting Postfix,
        >
        > ~ /usr/sbin/postconf -d | grep -i 'localhost'
        >
        > still reports:
        >
        > mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost

        1. What's mydestination got to do with this?
        2. "postconf -d" shows the default value.

        [...]

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
          > Greetings list
          >
          > Platform: FC4
          > Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14
          >
          > I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)
          >
          > When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
          > originating email addy renders as:
          >
          > user@...
          >
          > Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?

          You'll get more help if you follow the recommendations in

          Some possibilities:

          - your MUA is generating those addresses already. This may happen if the
          MUA is a (not configured) webmail system for example.
          - you submit the mail via Sendmail, which clealry won't use postfix
          configuration.
        • Jonathan JoKoT3 Gibert
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2006
            2006/5/1, mouss <usebsd@...>:
            > Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
            > > Greetings list
            > >
            > > Platform: FC4
            > > Package(s): Postfix 2.2.2, Dovecot 0.99.14
            > >
            > > I've iterated... I've Googled... and now posting ;-)
            > >
            > > When emailing from the above stand-alone internet email server, the
            > > originating email addy renders as:
            > >
            > > user@...
            > >
            > > Where does the 'localhost' in localhost.d0main.tld come from?
            >
            > You'll get more help if you follow the recommendations in
            > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
            >
            > Some possibilities:
            >
            > - your MUA is generating those addresses already. This may happen if the
            > MUA is a (not configured) webmail system for example.
            > - you submit the mail via Sendmail, which clealry won't use postfix
            > configuration.

            What "hostname" command say ? (on server sure).