holding messages during maintenance best practice

  • ml@sd2i.fr
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      Hi all,

      I was wondering what's the best practice to handle upgrade of the
      pop/imap server (new bigger hard-drives), i want to have no mail
      delivery during the upgrade, and we have no secondary mx.
      So either i can simply stop postfix, or i thought about using the HOLD
      feature to catch mails into the queue ?

      Thanks for any advice, and if the HOLD feature is better, for any HOWTO
      links. We receive about 40k mail/day so i want to avoid troubles !

      R.
    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 11:17 CEST,
        "ml@..." <ml@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering what's the best practice to handle upgrade of the
        > pop/imap server (new bigger hard-drives), i want to have no mail
        > delivery during the upgrade, and we have no secondary mx.
        > So either i can simply stop postfix, or i thought about using the HOLD
        > feature to catch mails into the queue ?
        >
        > Thanks for any advice, and if the HOLD feature is better, for any HOWTO
        > links. We receive about 40k mail/day so i want to avoid troubles !

        The hold feature works fine except that it only affects incoming SMTP
        messages. Thus, messages submitted via sendmail(1) won't be affected.
        This may or may not be a problem for you.

        smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access static:HOLD

        But I'd use defer_transports instead. That feature allows you to choose
        what delivery agents are affected, i.e. you won't have to defer messages
        that aren't subject to local delivery. When using defer_transports you
        just have to remember not to run "sendmail -q" or equivalent, since that
        will force delivery to take place anyway.

        defer_transports = local, virtual

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          "ml@..." <ml@...> writes:

          > I was wondering what's the best practice to handle upgrade of the
          > pop/imap server (new bigger hard-drives), i want to have no mail
          > delivery during the upgrade, and we have no secondary mx.
          > So either i can simply stop postfix, or i thought about using the HOLD
          > feature to catch mails into the queue ?
          >
          > Thanks for any advice, and if the HOLD feature is better, for any
          > HOWTO links. We receive about 40k mail/day so i want to avoid troubles

          IMHO if the expected off-line period is reasonably short (in pessimistic
          scenario) then you can choose carefully low traffic period (e.g. after
          midnight or weekend) to use "service stopped" path.

          Remember to provide yourself hefty "safety margin" for upgrade period.
          People under stress do make "mistakes".

          I suggest you using firewall to block access to the services during
          the changes to give you a chance for a few "sanity checks" before
          putting it back online/on internet.

          [these are not "postfix only" advises]

          --
          [pl2en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@... : anfi@...
          http://anfi.homeunix.net/
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2006
            Andrzej Adam Filip a écrit :
            > "ml@..." <ml@...> writes:
            >
            >> I was wondering what's the best practice to handle upgrade of the
            >> pop/imap server (new bigger hard-drives), i want to have no mail
            >> delivery during the upgrade, and we have no secondary mx.
            >> So either i can simply stop postfix, or i thought about using the HOLD
            >> feature to catch mails into the queue ?
            >>
            >> Thanks for any advice, and if the HOLD feature is better, for any
            >> HOWTO links. We receive about 40k mail/day so i want to avoid troubles
            >
            > IMHO if the expected off-line period is reasonably short (in pessimistic
            > scenario) then you can choose carefully low traffic period (e.g. after
            > midnight or weekend) to use "service stopped" path.

            The pessimistic scenario is about 4h00

            > Remember to provide yourself hefty "safety margin" for upgrade period.
            > People under stress do make "mistakes".

            That's why i ask here before doing anything ;)

            > I suggest you using firewall to block access to the services during
            > the changes to give you a chance for a few "sanity checks" before
            > putting it back online/on internet.
            >
            > [these are not "postfix only" advises]

            Thanks for your anwsers (you and Magnus), now my job is to make THE
            decision...