Re: update, was: partial solution, was: Upgrade postfix 2.0.3 to 2.2.10

  • Andrej Ricnik-Bay
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
      On 5/1/06, Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej.groups@...> wrote:
      > On the machine whose configs I posted adding the recipient_cannoncial_map
      > definitely solved the issue; however, now the production machine
      > (the one I was toying with is supposedly the back-up) seems to have
      > a different set-up (some entries in main.cf differ significantly) and breaks
      > with my changes that work on the backup, same symptom. Real mail bounces.
      Ok, I have now modified the set-up on the real thing to match
      the test-box (including removal of wild cards in domains and
      non-existing parameters). However, if I run postconf -n after
      my changes and a postfix reload the changes AREN'T reflected.

      Under which circumstances will postifx put
      mail1 postfix/postfix-script: [ID 197553 mail.info] refreshing the
      Postfix mail system
      mail1 postfix/master[21420]: [ID 197553 mail.info] reload configuration
      in the logs but the changes won't be reflected when running
      postconf -n ?
      Actually stopping and starting postfix is not an option, I'm
      afraid, the box is quite busy.

      Cheers,
      Andrej
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
        On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:30:12PM +1200, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

        > Under which circumstances will postifx put
        > mail1 postfix/postfix-script: [ID 197553 mail.info] refreshing the
        > Postfix mail system
        > mail1 postfix/master[21420]: [ID 197553 mail.info] reload configuration
        > in the logs but the changes won't be reflected when running
        > postconf -n ?

        Parameters that are built-in to Postfix are reported by "postconf -n"
        immediately, as soon as they are added to main.cf. All "postconf -n"
        does is read main.cf and report the (built-in) values it finds.

        Ad-hoc parameters that are not built-in to Postfix, are not reported by
        "postconf -n". In neither case (built-in or not) is any "reload" or
        "restart" required, those are to make the running Postfix system see
        the new settings.

        So the answer to your question is *never*.

        system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email

      • Andrej Ricnik-Bay
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
          On 5/1/06, Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej.groups@...> wrote:

          > Under which circumstances will postifx put
          > mail1 postfix/postfix-script: [ID 197553 mail.info] refreshing the
          > Postfix mail system
          > mail1 postfix/master[21420]: [ID 197553 mail.info] reload configuration
          > in the logs but the changes won't be reflected when running
          > postconf -n ?
          > Actually stopping and starting postfix is not an option, I'm
          > afraid, the box is quite busy.
          Please disregard this - I was being stupid. Overlooked the time,
          and our tool that syncs with CVS blew away my changes between
          my tests and running postconf -n ... I hadn't submitted my stuff to
          CVS yet.

          So the problem is now, I suppose, why my alias gets ignored even
          though it's in an alias-file that postfix knows about.

          mail1 postfix/local[15969]: [ID 197553 mail.info] 4ADAEFC5:
          to=<our_pagers@...>, orig_to=<andrej@...>,
          relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (unknown user: "our_pagers")

          from postconf -n:
          alias_database = dbm:/etc/mail/aliases_local, dbm:/etc/mail/aliases
          alias_maps = dbm:/etc/mail/aliases_local, dbm:/etc/mail/aliases
          canonical_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/common_map
          command_directory = /usr/sbin
          config_directory = /etc/postfix
          daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
          debug_peer_level = 2
          header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/head_check
          inet_interfaces = 10.215.4.25
          local_recipient_maps =
          mail_owner = postfix
          mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
          manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
          message_size_limit = 51200000
          mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain, domain.tld, domain.tld,
          mailhost.$mydomain, ose.domain.tld, igw.domain.tld, pagers.domain.tld
          mydomain = domain.tld
          myhostname = mail1.igw.domain.tld
          mynetworks = /etc/postfix/internal_networks
          myorigin = $mydomain
          newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
          queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
          readme_directory = /etc/postfix/postfix_docs
          recipient_canonical_maps = btree:/etc/postfix/recipient_canonical
          relay_domains = $mydestination, $mydomain, ird.gov.nz, eir.domain.tld,
          pagers.domain.tld
          relayhost = seemail1.igw.domain.tld
          sample_directory = /etc/postfix/samples
          sender_canonical_maps = btree:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
          sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
          setgid_group = postdrop
          transport_maps = btree:/etc/postfix/transport
          unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
          virtual_alias_domains = pagers.domain.tld
          virtual_alias_maps = dbm:/etc/postfix/virtual

          Any ideas?

          Cheers,
          Andrej

          --
          Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.

        • Magnus Bäck
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006
            On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 02:45 CEST,
            Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej.groups@...> wrote:

            > So the problem is now, I suppose, why my alias gets ignored even
            > though it's in an alias-file that postfix knows about.
            >
            > mail1 postfix/local[15969]: [ID 197553 mail.info] 4ADAEFC5:
            > to=<our_pagers@...>, orig_to=<andrej@...>,
            > relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (unknown user: "our_pagers")

            Okay, so why does the rewriting

            andrej@... -> our_pagers@...

            take place? And what should've happened instead? Show the contents of
            the canonical and virtual rewriting tables.

            [...]

            --
            Magnus Bäck
            magnus@...
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2006
              On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:10:38AM +0200, Magnus B?ck wrote:

              > On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 02:45 CEST,
              > Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej.groups@...> wrote:
              >
              > > So the problem is now, I suppose, why my alias gets ignored even
              > > though it's in an alias-file that postfix knows about.
              > >
              > > mail1 postfix/local[15969]: [ID 197553 mail.info] 4ADAEFC5:
              > > to=<our_pagers@...>, orig_to=<andrej@...>,
              > > relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (unknown user: "our_pagers")
              >
              > Okay, so why does the rewriting
              >
              > andrej@... -> our_pagers@...
              >
              > take place? And what should've happened instead? Show the contents of
              > the canonical and virtual rewriting tables.

              Any any relevant aliases(5) table entries, verified with "postmap -q
              <localpart> type:table".

              system/email administrator to architect and sustain the Unix email