Postfix Milter support update

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 5:42 AM
      What are Milters?
      -----------------

      Milters (mail input filters), introduced with Sendmail 8.10, look
      at both SMTP commands and at message content.

      Milters are applications that run outside of the MTA, and can can
      instruct the MTA to {accept / reject / discard } {a connection /
      command / message content}, to {delete / add} a {recipient / header},
      and to replace a {header / entire message body}.

      The purpose of adding this to Postfix is to enable the already
      existing applications for Sendmail 8 to sign mail or to verify mail
      authenticity (SenderID or DKIM) as well as already existing
      applications for email content management.

      Postfix status update.
      ----------------------

      The first portion of Postfix Milter support for accept / reject /
      discard is now 99% done, and I'm starting on the much smaller
      portion that modifies message content.

      For Postfix 2.3, the plan is to implement a large enough subset so
      that the SenderID and DKIM plug-ins work, and to add the rest soon
      after the 2.3 release.

      Support for SenderID/DKIM plug-in is a requirement before Postfix
      2.3 can be released.

      The Postfix Milter implementation is pluggable; support for Sendmail
      X filters can be added later (it's different), without having to
      rip up existing code.

      Wietse
    • Michael Katz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        Will this be a more scalable method for pre-queue filters than currently
        exists for Postfix?

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2006
          At 08:02 AM 5/1/2006, Michael Katz wrote:
          >Will this be a more scalable method for pre-queue filters
          >than currently exists for Postfix?

          No. The problem with any pre-queue filter is the time and
          resources required by the filter. This is independent of
          the method used to interface with the filter.

          --
          Noel Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2007
            I just added "body replace" support to the Postfix Milter client.
            The code needs cleaning up and further testing, but was much simpler
            to implement than inserting/replacing/removing message headers in
            random places.

            Wietse

            20070114

            Feature: body replacement support for Milter applications.
            Files: milter/milter8.c, cleanup/cleanup_milter.c,
            cleanup/cleanup_body_region.c.