invalid message/* or multipart/* encoding domain?

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
      A user tries to send a Word-Attachment via our Webmail server. The
      attachment ist named

      "Angiotensin II hypersensivity; 2003.doc"

      and the MIME type is shown by SquirrelMail as "multipart/appledouble"

      When he tries to send that mail, he gets

      Apr 28 11:35:20 postamt postfix/cleanup[6157]: 7D7B72206F1: reject: mime-error invalid message/* or multipart/* encoding domain: base64
      from webmail.charite.de[160.45.207.130]; from=<sender@...> to=<recipient@...>

      Apr 28 11:38:09 postamt postfix/cleanup[9436]: C3C782206F1: reject: mime-error invalid message/* or multipart/* encoding domain: base64
      from webmail.charite.de[160.45.207.130]; from=<sender@...> to=<recipient@...>

      Usually our users have no such problem, so I'm asking myself "What's
      wrong here?"

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
      http://www.postfix-buch.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
        On Friday 28 Apr 2006 12:20, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

        > "Angiotensin II hypersensivity; 2003.doc"

        > Usually our users have no such problem, so I'm asking myself "What's
        > wrong here?"

        Can I take bets on the semicolon ?

        Can you extract a copy of the message before Postfix gets its hands on it?
        Reproduce it by a file with "; " in the name?

        "... a well-known author said he knew from the Unabomber's published notes
        that he was mentally unstable and college-educated...the former because he
        used semicolons and the latter because he used them correctly...."
        -- Armond Perretta, alt.english
      • Ralf Hildebrandt
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
          * Simon Waters <simonw@...>:
          > On Friday 28 Apr 2006 12:20, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
          > >
          > > "Angiotensin II hypersensivity; 2003.doc"
          >
          > > Usually our users have no such problem, so I'm asking myself "What's
          > > wrong here?"
          >
          > Can I take bets on the semicolon ?

          I guessed the same. The luser also said he changed "Mozilla" for
          "Seamonkey" and now his problem is gone.

          > Can you extract a copy of the message before Postfix gets its hands on it?
          > Reproduce it by a file with "; " in the name?

          Rather unlikely...

          --
          Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
          http://www.postfix-buch.com
          Never ever relay emails based solely on a user-provided header.
          Down that path leads madness, despair, and the RBL.
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
            Ralf Hildebrandt:
            > A user tries to send a Word-Attachment via our Webmail server. The
            > attachment ist named
            >
            > "Angiotensin II hypersensivity; 2003.doc"
            >
            > and the MIME type is shown by SquirrelMail as "multipart/appledouble"
            >
            > When he tries to send that mail, he gets
            >
            > Apr 28 11:35:20 postamt postfix/cleanup[6157]: 7D7B72206F1: reject: mime-error invalid message/* or multipart/* encoding domain: base64
            > from webmail.charite.de[160.45.207.130]; from=<sender@...> to=<recipient@...>
            >
            > Apr 28 11:38:09 postamt postfix/cleanup[9436]: C3C782206F1: reject: mime-error invalid message/* or multipart/* encoding domain: base64
            > from webmail.charite.de[160.45.207.130]; from=<sender@...> to=<recipient@...>
            >
            > Usually our users have no such problem, so I'm asking myself "What's
            > wrong here?"

            The error message suggests that they have "content-type:
            multipart/appledouble" with "content-transfer-encoding: base64",
            instead of 7bit or 8bit. You can't have base64 for a composite.

            This kind of reject is turned off by default in Postfix.

            Wietse
          • Ralf Hildebrandt
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 28, 2006
              * Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:

              > The error message suggests that they have "content-type:
              > multipart/appledouble" with "content-transfer-encoding: base64",
              > instead of 7bit or 8bit. You can't have base64 for a composite.

              Ah, their client was probably broken.

              > This kind of reject is turned off by default in Postfix.

              I know :)=

              --
              Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
              http://www.postfix-buch.com