Re: Hotmail.com Blocking my Server??

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2001
      Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
      > Thanks again for the reply
      >
      > Actually this portion of the log was from the servers I used to
      > re-route my emails, my mail server still can't connect directly.
      >
      > I guess it's a hotmail problem then. I do have some gmail invites
      > myself if you want :D

      your own system blocks mail from other people. don't come crying when
      your mail gets blocked. the only thing you're gonna get is get your IP
      listed.
    • Mohammad H. Al-Shami
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 2:31 AM
        Hi guys,
        Excuse me if this is wrong place to ask, but I couldn't find anything
        relating to this issue.

        I got notification from our customer support department that messages
        sent to hotmail.com since this morning didn't reach their destinations.
        I checked the logs and found messages like this:

        Apr 22 00:21:52 mail2 postfix/smtp[24775]: connect to
        mx3.hotmail.com[64.4.50.179]: Connection timed out (port 25)
        Apr 22 00:21:52 mail2 postfix/smtp[24773]: connect to
        mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.245.8]: Connection timed out (port 25)

        So I tried to use telnet to connect to those server, but it didn't work,
        so I know this is not a problem with my configuration, the problem is
        that I can connect to port 25 on those 2 servers from my machine (it has
        another IP) and from other machines on the same network as the mail
        server but with different IPs.

        Does hotmail.com block IPs?? If so, is there a way to contact them to
        remove the IP from their black list?? My server is on non of the RBLs I
        know off so I don't think it is a spam problem.

        Thanks for the help guys.
        Mohammad
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 4:21 AM
          Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
          > Hi guys,
          > Excuse me if this is wrong place to ask, but I couldn't find anything
          > relating to this issue.
          >
          > I got notification from our customer support department that messages
          > sent to hotmail.com since this morning didn't reach their
          > destinations. I checked the logs and found messages like this:
          >
          > Apr 22 00:21:52 mail2 postfix/smtp[24775]: connect to
          > mx3.hotmail.com[64.4.50.179]: Connection timed out (port 25)
          > Apr 22 00:21:52 mail2 postfix/smtp[24773]: connect to
          > mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.245.8]: Connection timed out (port 25)
          >
          > So I tried to use telnet to connect to those server, but it didn't
          > work, so I know this is not a problem with my configuration, the
          > problem is that I can connect to port 25 on those 2 servers from my
          > machine (it has another IP) and from other machines on the same
          > network as the mail server but with different IPs.
          >
          > Does hotmail.com block IPs??
          possibly. you can only know by asking them.
          before that, check that the machine in question isn't "protected" by a
          broken router/proxy/firewall.
          > If so, is there a way to contact them to remove the IP from their
          > black list??
          contact them (from an IP that can connect).
          > My server is on non of the RBLs I know off so I don't think it is a
          > spam problem.
          spam is a "relative" problem.
        • David Cary Hart
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 8:26 AM
            On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:31:19 +0300
            "Mohammad H. Al-Shami" <mohshami@...> opined:
            > Hi guys,
            > Excuse me if this is wrong place to ask

            It is but doesn't create a major crisis.

            You do have some problems with the IP that you connected to your post
            with (if that's the server in question). It looks dynamic and the
            host does not resolve back to the IP

            [traif@dns ~]# host 212.118.11.222
            222.11.118.212.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
            212.118.11.222.ua.batelco.jo.

            [traif@dns ~]# host 212.118.11.222.ua.batelco.jo
            Host 212.118.11.222.ua.batelco.jo not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

            That could cause problems with more than just Hotmail.
            --
            Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com
            The Dirty Dozen Spammiest Ranges: http://tqmcube.com/dirty12.php
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 11:16 AM
              Hey there. Thanks for the reply,

              David Cary Hart wrote:
              > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:31:19 +0300
              > "Mohammad H. Al-Shami" <mohshami@...> opined:
              >> Hi guys,
              >> Excuse me if this is wrong place to ask
              >
              > It is but doesn't create a major crisis.
              > You do have some problems with the IP that you connected to your post
              > with (if that's the server in question). It looks dynamic and the
              > host does not resolve back to the IP
              >
              > [traif@dns ~]# host 212.118.11.222
              > 222.11.118.212.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
              > 212.118.11.222.ua.batelco.jo.

              This is the IP of my home connection, not the server. My server's IP is
              212.118.0.8, which has proper forward and reverse DNS entries.

              It is not a problem with my ISP blocking outgoing port 25, because I
              work for the ISP :p
              > [traif@dns ~]# host 212.118.11.222.ua.batelco.jo
              > Host 212.118.11.222.ua.batelco.jo not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
              >
              > That could cause problems with more than just Hotmail.

              Thanks again
            • Simon Waters
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 24 12:43 AM
                On Saturday 22 Apr 2006 19:16, Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:

                > This is the IP of my home connection, not the server. My server's IP is
                > 212.118.0.8, which has proper forward and reverse DNS entries.

                I've seen the behaviour before, when hotmail refuses connections to one of our
                email servers at the IP level. but a machine with a close IP address gets
                port 25 access immediately.

                For what it is worth, the problem always went away without intervention on our
                part, so I assume part of an automated anti-spam system.

                We forward a lot of email on for clients who host websites with us, so a fair
                chance we trigger most content based spam traps at times.

                I haven't seen the behaviour recently, since deploying better spam filtering,
                and dropping email from non-existent domains. But then once I'm pretty sure
                it was triggered by backscatter, so maybe we've just been lucky.
              • Mohammad H. Al-Shami
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 25 1:42 AM
                  Thanks for your reply

                  I just tried to telnet to one of the hotmail MX servers, problem is
                  still there :/

                  But something strange is happening now, when I checked the logs I saw
                  that the hotmail MX servers are accepting messages from my servers now,
                  but they don't all arrive, is that something normal with hotmail??

                  Here is a portion of the log:
                  Apr 24 08:57:17 mailexchange2 postfix/smtp[2831]: E001CFE0220:
                  to=<xyz@...>, relay=mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.244.40], delay=3,
                  status=sent (250 <444C68B9.50201@...> Queued mail for delivery)

                  But this message didn't reach my hotmail inbox, any ideas??

                  Thanks again for everybody.
                • Simon Waters
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 25 2:21 AM
                    On Tuesday 25 Apr 2006 09:42, Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
                    > Thanks for your reply
                    >
                    > I just tried to telnet to one of the hotmail MX servers, problem is
                    > still there :/
                    >
                    > But something strange is happening now, when I checked the logs I saw
                    > that the hotmail MX servers are accepting messages from my servers now,
                    > but they don't all arrive, is that something normal with hotmail??

                    I assume the block is lifting, there are a lot of hotmail servers and they
                    don't all behave consistently. Often one will ban, one will accept email from
                    the same source.

                    Yes, hotmail have taken up the habit, AOL finally gave up, of just deleting
                    peoples email after accepting it. Well if you will trust your email to
                    Microsoft after all these years of Microsoft mail cock-ups....

                    We haven't been able to demonstrate it, but we get a steady stream of
                    complaints from people using hotmail that some email was not received, and
                    our logs just show correct delivery to one of the hotmail email servers. It
                    is difficult to distinguish user error, from hotmail stupidity, but after
                    you've had enough complaints you assume the users can't all be mistaken.

                    I have spare GMail invites if you don't want to pay for a good email
                    provider ;)
                  • Mohammad H. Al-Shami

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 26 6:32 PM
                        mouss wrote:
                        > Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
                        >> Thanks again for the reply
                        >>
                        >> Actually this portion of the log was from the servers I used to
                        >> re-route my emails, my mail server still can't connect directly.
                        >>
                        >> I guess it's a hotmail problem then. I do have some gmail invites
                        >> myself if you want :D
                        >

                        > your own system blocks mail from other people. don't come crying when
                        > your mail gets blocked. the only thing you're gonna get is get your IP
                        > listed.

                        That's true, but my system replies with a message that says the other
                        system is blocked, it doesn't accept the message and then drops it.
                        Which at least makes a little sense, and it tells the other party how to
                        unblock itself.
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2006
                          Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
                          > That's true, but my system replies with a message that says the other
                          > system is blocked, it doesn't accept the message and then drops it.
                          > Which at least makes a little sense, and it tells the other party how
                          > to unblock itself.

                          What makes you believe I want to get a bounce when I respond to your
                          question? The last thing I want from you is a bounce. if you don't want
                          my response, drop it to the flour.

                          but I understand that you like playing. I too can play that game. How
                          much legitimate mail people here get from .jo? I guess not very much. so
                          I propose the following rule for those who use SA:

                          header COUNTRY_JO X-Relay-Country =~/\bJO\b/
                          describe COUNTRY_JO Jordan spam
                          score COUNTRY_JO 4.7

                          For those who don't use SA, I can publish the corresponding network
                          blocks as a dnsbl.
                        • Mohammad H. Al-Shami
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 1, 2006
                            mouss wrote:
                            > Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
                            >> That's true, but my system replies with a message that says the other
                            >> system is blocked, it doesn't accept the message and then drops it.
                            >> Which at least makes a little sense, and it tells the other party how
                            >> to unblock itself.
                            >
                            > What makes you believe I want to get a bounce when I respond to your
                            > question? The last thing I want from you is a bounce. if you don't want
                            > my response, drop it to the flour.
                            >
                            > but I understand that you like playing. I too can play that game. How
                            > much legitimate mail people here get from .jo? I guess not very much. so
                            > I propose the following rule for those who use SA:
                            >
                            > header COUNTRY_JO X-Relay-Country =~/\bJO\b/
                            > describe COUNTRY_JO Jordan spam
                            > score COUNTRY_JO 4.7
                            >
                            > For those who don't use SA, I can publish the corresponding network
                            > blocks as a dnsbl.

                            I'm terribly sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I don't accept the
                            messages, I directly respond with a relay access denied error. So I
                            don't send any bounces.

                            As for .jo domains, that's true, the Internet still hasn't penetrated as
                            much as you'd expect, we are one of the biggest ISPs here and only host
                            around 20K accounts, they are on 4 systems and I'm slowly migrating them
                            to this one.

                            Thanks for your reply
                            Mohammad