virtual mailboxes

  • Pedro Vieira
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi all...

      I'm running a postfix on a debian box, but now the number of domains
      that the server is suposed to host is increasing, so I'm thinking of
      starting to use virtual mailboxes with non-system accounts.

      My doubt commes when I think of autentication. If with system accounts
      all I needed to do was to create system accounts for users to login. Now
      with virtual mailboxes and non-system accounts, how do I do for users
      to authenticate?

      Let's say that in vmailbox file I have something like:

      myuser@... myotherdomain.tld/myuser

      How to I do for the user "myuser" to login with
      "myuser@..." ? Where do I define the usernames and
      passwords? Do I have to do it with my pop/imap server?

      Thanks in advance,

      Pedro
    • Heiko Wundram
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
        Am Freitag 31 März 2006 21:32 schrieb Pedro Vieira:
        > How to I do for the user "myuser" to login with
        > "myuser@..." ? Where do I define the usernames and
        > passwords? Do I have to do it with my pop/imap server?

        Think about what you wrote: this has nothing to do with Postfix, and
        everything with your IMAP/POP3-Server.

        --- Heiko.
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
          Pedro Vieira wrote:

          > Hi all...
          >
          > I'm running a postfix on a debian box, but now the number of domains
          > that the server is suposed to host is increasing, so I'm thinking of
          > starting to use virtual mailboxes with non-system accounts.
          >
          > My doubt commes when I think of autentication. If with system accounts
          > all I needed to do was to create system accounts for users to login. Now
          > with virtual mailboxes and non-system accounts, how do I do for users
          > to authenticate?
          >
          > Let's say that in vmailbox file I have something like:
          >
          > myuser@... myotherdomain.tld/myuser
          >

          > How to I do for the user "myuser" to login with
          > "myuser@..." ? Where do I define the usernames and
          > passwords? Do I have to do it with my pop/imap server?

          if you don't know, then use mysql:). For smtp auth, check sasl docs. for
          mailbox access (pop/imap/webmail/...), check your access server docs.
        • David Koski
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
            On Friday 31 March 2006 11:32, Pedro Vieira wrote:

            <snip>

            > My doubt commes when I think of autentication. If with system accounts
            > all I needed to do was to create system accounts for users to login. Now
            > with virtual mailboxes and non-system accounts, how do I do for users
            > to authenticate?

            If you like courier, install courier-authdaemon.

            http://www.courier-mta.org/

            David
          • Pedro Vieira
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2006
              Hi all! :)

              I'm using postfix 2.1.5 + dovecot 0.99.14 to handle my company's email
              and so far so good...

              But things started to grow up quickly and now I have not only the
              previous mymaindomain.tld but also mysecondmain.tld and
              mythirddomain.tld to manage.

              So.. I'm thinking of moving from a more simple "unix-user" aproach to a
              virtual mailbox aproach.

              So... I followed the postfix virtual hosting "how to" and setted up a
              test system:

              -Followed the postfix virtual hosting 2how-to"
              -Static user DB+ mysql password DB for dovecot
              -Told dovecot to fech mail in: /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u

              So far so good. I managed to tell postfix to deliver the emails of
              myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld to /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
              The problem is with mymaindomain.tld, dovecot is feching mail from "
              /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u ", but postfix is still delivering
              mymaindomain.tld to /var/mail/.

              How can I make postfix deliver also mymaindomain.tld to
              /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u " ?

              Thanks in advance,

              Pedro Vieira
            • Magnus Bäck
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2006
                On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 18:15 CEST,
                Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:

                > I'm using postfix 2.1.5 + dovecot 0.99.14 to handle my company's email
                > and so far so good...
                >
                > But things started to grow up quickly and now I have not only the
                > previous mymaindomain.tld but also mysecondmain.tld and
                > mythirddomain.tld to manage.
                >
                > So.. I'm thinking of moving from a more simple "unix-user" aproach to a
                > virtual mailbox aproach.
                >
                > So... I followed the postfix virtual hosting "how to" and setted up a
                > test system:
                >
                > -Followed the postfix virtual hosting 2how-to"
                > -Static user DB+ mysql password DB for dovecot
                > -Told dovecot to fech mail in: /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
                >
                > So far so good. I managed to tell postfix to deliver the emails of
                > myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld to /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
                > The problem is with mymaindomain.tld, dovecot is feching mail from "
                > /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u ", but postfix is still delivering
                > mymaindomain.tld to /var/mail/.
                >
                > How can I make postfix deliver also mymaindomain.tld to
                > /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u " ?

                By making mymaindomain.tld a virtual mailbox domain as well,
                just like myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld.

                --
                Magnus Bäck
                magnus@...
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2006
                  On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:50 CEST,
                  Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:

                  > But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
                  > both as virtual domain and $mydestination...

                  Correct.

                  > In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?

                  Nothing, for example. You can leave it empty if you like. In some cases
                  it's practical to have localhost and localhost.$mydomain listed in
                  mydestination.

                  Stop top-posting.

                  --
                  Magnus Bäck
                  magnus@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1, 2006
                    Hi Magnus,

                    But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
                    both as virtual domain and $mydestination...
                    In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?

                    Thanks,

                    Pedro

                    Magnus Bäck wrote:
                    > On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 18:15 CEST,
                    > Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> I'm using postfix 2.1.5 + dovecot 0.99.14 to handle my company's email
                    >> and so far so good...
                    >>
                    >> But things started to grow up quickly and now I have not only the
                    >> previous mymaindomain.tld but also mysecondmain.tld and
                    >> mythirddomain.tld to manage.
                    >>
                    >> So.. I'm thinking of moving from a more simple "unix-user" aproach to a
                    >> virtual mailbox aproach.
                    >>
                    >> So... I followed the postfix virtual hosting "how to" and setted up a
                    >> test system:
                    >>
                    >> -Followed the postfix virtual hosting 2how-to"
                    >> -Static user DB+ mysql password DB for dovecot
                    >> -Told dovecot to fech mail in: /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
                    >>
                    >> So far so good. I managed to tell postfix to deliver the emails of
                    >> myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld to /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u
                    >> The problem is with mymaindomain.tld, dovecot is feching mail from "
                    >> /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u ", but postfix is still delivering
                    >> mymaindomain.tld to /var/mail/.
                    >>
                    >> How can I make postfix deliver also mymaindomain.tld to
                    >> /var/mail/vhosts/%d/%u " ?
                    >>

                    > By making mymaindomain.tld a virtual mailbox domain as well,
                    > just like myseconddomain.tld and mythirddomain.tld.

                    Pedro Vieira
                    System Administrator
                    Filbox- Produções, Lda
                    R. de Fez, 731
                    4150- 331 Porto
                    pedro.vieira@...
                    Telemóvel- 93 903 02 10
                    Telefones- 22 615 09 70 (Geral)
                    22 615 09 77 (Directo)
                    www.filbox.com

                    "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

                    "Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine."
                  • Pedro Vieira
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2006
                      Magnus Bäck wrote:
                      > On Monday, May 01, 2006 at 19:50 CEST,
                      > Pedro Vieira <pedro.vieira@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> But in the documentation says that I should not list mymaindomain.tld
                      >> both as virtual domain and $mydestination...
                      >>

                      > Correct.
                      >

                      >> In that case, what should I put in $mydestination?
                      >>

                      > Nothing, for example. You can leave it empty if you like. In some cases
                      > it's practical to have localhost and localhost.$mydomain listed in
                      > mydestination.
                      >
                      > Stop top-posting.

                      Thanks for your help! :)
                      .. and sorry about the top-posting...

                      Pedro
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 27, 2007
                        Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:50:05AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
                        >
                        >> Ralf Hildebrandt:
                        >>
                        >>> No, you'd have to do it this way:
                        >>>
                        >>> generic@... generic@...
                        >>>
                        >>> and then add
                        >>> domain.delivered.by.local
                        >>> to $mydestination
                        >>>
                        >>> In alias_maps you then use:
                        >>> generic: "|/some/script"
                        >>>
                        >> Alternatively, you can use a transport map:
                        >>
                        >> /etc/postfix/transport:
                        >> user@... script:
                        >>
                        >> /etc/postfix/master.cf:
                        >> script unix - n n - - pipe
                        >> user=xxx flags=yyy argv=/some/where/script ...
                        >>
                        >> See pipe(8) man page for options.
                        >>
                        >> Which of the two is better depends on the features needed.
                        >>

                        > Would you please provide documentation pointers where I can find the
                        > pros and cons of both methods ? Or if it doesn't exist, provide
                        > a short description of the differences ?

                        if you have a lot of scripts, you don't want to pollute master.cf. so
                        aliases are the way to go.

                        if you only have few scripts, then transport entries may be simpler.
                        Scripts started via aliases run as the owner of the alias file (unless
                        this is root, in which case they run as nobody). so if you have scripts
                        that need to run as special users, you need to split your alias file.
                        not a real issue, but one that is easily overlooked.