Re: 4xx or 5xx instead of bounce when quota exceeded

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
      Victor Duchovni wrote:
      > On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 03:46:02PM +0200, Magnus B?ck wrote:
      >
      >> If your over-quota users at all tend to clean up their mailboxes I guess
      >> 4xx would appropriate, but I can imagine that in most cases over-quota
      >> mailboxes are abandoned and never will be emptied.
      >
      > It is not so much that they are abandoned, but that the cleanup to
      > get under quota is often measured in days (people on vacation), and a
      > hard failure lets the sender know faster. The presumption is that quota
      > problems persist in their "transient failure" state long enough that a
      > hard failure is a better approximation.

      Additionally, if one is using soft quotas, he can reduce the occurrence
      of "transient over quota" by doing one of:

      - notify users when they are about to reach their quotas.

      - implement "weak" quotas: provide additional quota, authorized for some
      period of time. This helps in the case of vacation for example.