hostname mydestination and myorigin with Virtual Mailbox Domains

  • Nikolic, Aleks
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hi Guys,

      I receive mail for 2 separate VIRTUAL MAILBOX DOMAINS: a.com and b.nl (local
      mail is not used, except for errors being delivered to root)

      I have mx records setup for the 2 domains at my hostingprovider:
      MX 10 ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl

      in my main.cf I have this:
      mydestination = home.local,ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl
      myhostname = ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl
      myorigin = ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl

      Some mailservers return my mails with the message:
      Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host mx.home.nl[] said: 550-Spam
      refused: ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl is a silly name for a mail
      550 server or server has no name. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

      So I want to create decent names like mx.a.com and mx.b.nl
      and then create And A record for mx.a.com and mx.b.nl that points to

      I have a static ip-address and hostname, I have no control over my hostname
      because of course my dsl provider was kind enough to provide me with that
      stupid name.

      Question is: what do I put in my main.cf for myhostname,mydestination and
      myorigin and have everything working as it was before??? I figured that
      myhostname can't be mx.a.com because I also need to receive mails for b.nl

      If I type hostname at my prompt I get: mailserver.home.local

      main.cf looks like this:
      smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (a.com/b.nl)
      biff = no

      # appending .domain is the MUA's job.
      append_dot_mydomain = no

      # Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
      #delay_warning_time = 4h
      myhostname = ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl
      alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf
      #alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_database = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf
      mydestination = home.local,ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl
      mynetworks =
      myorigin = ip-12-23-123-12.adsl.provider.nl
      relayhost =
      mailbox_size_limit = 0
      message_size_limit = 10240000
      recipient_delimiter =
      inet_interfaces = all
      virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf
      virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
      virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
      virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
      virtual_mailbox_limit = 0
      virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
      virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
      smtpd_helo_required = yes
      smtpd_helo_restrictions =
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =

      If I forget to include something, please let me know and I will provide

      - - -