Re: Backing up indefinitely or for set time

  • Keith Matthews
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:45:49 +0000
      Simon Waters <simonw@...> wrote:

      > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create
      > a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about
      > such things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying
      > to work around it.

      I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In my
      experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers on
      their systems and won't provide proper support.

      --
      Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
      accept mail through the list server.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
        > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create
        > > a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about
        > > such things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying
        > > to work around it.
        >

        > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In my
        > experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers on
        > their systems and won't provide proper support.

        That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide static
        IPs to those that request them for doing things like this. Still, other
        than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer much support (as in,
        how they should configure their (mail|web|other) server. We also don't
        offer a lot of sympathy to the ones who become open relays or get themselves
        blacklisted because they wanted to send spam and found our SMTP servers
        not-very-conducive to that.

        --Brian
      • Brendan Grossman
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
          > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
          > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
          > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it
          > will be less
          > > > work than trying to work around it.
          > >

          > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then
          > change ISP. In
          > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't
          > want servers
          > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
          >
          > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we
          > provide static IPs to those that request them for doing
          > things like this. Still, other than how to avoid being an
          > open relay, we do not offer much support (as in, how they
          > should configure their (mail|web|other) server. We also
          > don't offer a lot of sympathy to the ones who become open
          > relays or get themselves blacklisted because they wanted to
          > send spam and found our SMTP servers not-very-conducive to that.

          Unfortunately, the difference between a static and dynamic IP for me here in
          Australia, is a loss of 7mbps off my connection, or, an extra $80+ per
          month. I have ADSL2+ (cable's unavailable) and the only static IP plans I've
          found are "business" plans, and they're usually over $100 per month.

          Sure, having a static IP makes things easier, but I have a script that
          checks my IP every hour and if it's changed, updates it. So there's probably
          not a huge difference, just a static IP would give me peace of mind and
          would ensure unless the connection were to go down, mail would never bounce.
        • Matt Fretwell
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
            On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:28:46 +1030
            "Brendan Grossman" <brendan@...> wrote:

            > Unfortunately, the difference between a static and dynamic IP
            > for me here in Australia, is a loss of 7mbps off my
            > connection, or, an extra $80+ per month. I have ADSL2+
            > (cable's unavailable) and the only static IP plans I've found
            > are "business" plans, and they're usually over $100 per month.
            >
            > Sure, having a static IP makes things easier, but I have a
            > script that checks my IP every hour and if it's changed,
            > updates it. So there's probably not a huge difference, just a
            > static IP would give me peace of mind and would ensure unless
            > the connection were to go down, mail would never bounce.

            Generally, it is a case of getting one of the business grade
            services. You will lose downlink speed on the basic business
            service, or get charged disproportionately for a faster link,
            but if you are running a mailserver on this link, it is a case
            of either suck in the extra cost and run a mailserver that will
            get your mail to its final destination, or run the risk of being
            blocked by various external MTA's if you stay as you are.
            Granted, the price does seem steep, but you do also get extra
            benefits that a consumer grade connection will not.

            There are many of us who would like to pay less, but
            the reliabilty, (outgoing as well as receiving), makes a static
            IP setup practically a must if you value your e-mail service.

            Matt
          • Keith Matthews
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
              On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:46:32 -0500
              "Brian Collins" <listbc@...> wrote:

              > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
              > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
              > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it will be
              > > > less work than trying to work around it.
              > >

              > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In
              > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers
              > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
              >
              > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide
              > static IPs to those that request them for doing things like this.
              > Still, other than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer
              > much support .

              If you offer anything at all to people operating servers you're doing
              better than most of the big players I have to deal with. BT especially -
              all you can get out of their trained monkey types is reading from a
              script on how to set up Outlook and no deviations. (Yes I know BT runs
              it's call centre from India these days, and I have no beef with the
              people or their accents, it's the lack of training and inability to
              refer the problem to those who are better trained that gripes me).