Re: Backing up indefinitely or for set time

  • Simon Waters
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      On Wednesday 01 Mar 2006 11:15, Brendan Grossman wrote:

      > It may be justifiable in my case. I have a postfix gateway that relays mail
      > for internal UNIX clients. When the clients are shutdown at night or for
      > even days (could even be weeks, if the user goes on on holidays etc), I'd
      > like my gateway to hold their mail.

      Don't use boxes as SMTP servers if they aren't highly available - you'll just
      create a headache for yourself.

      Imagine I sent an email, you'll hold it indefinitely - if the person never
      switches on their box, I'll never know it was never received.

      > Instead of local delivery, I could give them accounts and allow POP access
      > or something on the gateway, but if each client has an MTA, they may as
      > well use it?

      I'd lose the unnecessary services and install POP3 or IMAP4 on a central
      server in a jiffy. Do not needlessly multiply SMTP servers.

      > To make matters worse, the internet connection for this network has a
      > dynamic IP, so when the IP changes, I need to ensure mail doesn't bounce. I
      > do have a script that updates DNS, but even though it's reasonably
      > reliable, I'd still like a fallback solution.

      Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create a
      headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about such
      things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying to work
      around it.
    • Keith Matthews
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:45:49 +0000
        Simon Waters <simonw@...> wrote:

        > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create
        > a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about
        > such things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying
        > to work around it.

        I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In my
        experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers on
        their systems and won't provide proper support.

        --
        Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
        accept mail through the list server.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
          > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create
          > > a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about
          > > such things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying
          > > to work around it.
          >

          > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In my
          > experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers on
          > their systems and won't provide proper support.

          That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide static
          IPs to those that request them for doing things like this. Still, other
          than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer much support (as in,
          how they should configure their (mail|web|other) server. We also don't
          offer a lot of sympathy to the ones who become open relays or get themselves
          blacklisted because they wanted to send spam and found our SMTP servers
          not-very-conducive to that.

          --Brian
        • Brendan Grossman
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
            > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
            > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
            > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it
            > will be less
            > > > work than trying to work around it.
            > >

            > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then
            > change ISP. In
            > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't
            > want servers
            > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
            >
            > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we
            > provide static IPs to those that request them for doing
            > things like this. Still, other than how to avoid being an
            > open relay, we do not offer much support (as in, how they
            > should configure their (mail|web|other) server. We also
            > don't offer a lot of sympathy to the ones who become open
            > relays or get themselves blacklisted because they wanted to
            > send spam and found our SMTP servers not-very-conducive to that.

            Unfortunately, the difference between a static and dynamic IP for me here in
            Australia, is a loss of 7mbps off my connection, or, an extra $80+ per
            month. I have ADSL2+ (cable's unavailable) and the only static IP plans I've
            found are "business" plans, and they're usually over $100 per month.

            Sure, having a static IP makes things easier, but I have a script that
            checks my IP every hour and if it's changed, updates it. So there's probably
            not a huge difference, just a static IP would give me peace of mind and
            would ensure unless the connection were to go down, mail would never bounce.
          • Matt Fretwell
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
              On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:28:46 +1030
              "Brendan Grossman" <brendan@...> wrote:

              > Unfortunately, the difference between a static and dynamic IP
              > for me here in Australia, is a loss of 7mbps off my
              > connection, or, an extra $80+ per month. I have ADSL2+
              > (cable's unavailable) and the only static IP plans I've found
              > are "business" plans, and they're usually over $100 per month.
              >
              > Sure, having a static IP makes things easier, but I have a
              > script that checks my IP every hour and if it's changed,
              > updates it. So there's probably not a huge difference, just a
              > static IP would give me peace of mind and would ensure unless
              > the connection were to go down, mail would never bounce.

              Generally, it is a case of getting one of the business grade
              services. You will lose downlink speed on the basic business
              service, or get charged disproportionately for a faster link,
              but if you are running a mailserver on this link, it is a case
              of either suck in the extra cost and run a mailserver that will
              get your mail to its final destination, or run the risk of being
              blocked by various external MTA's if you stay as you are.
              Granted, the price does seem steep, but you do also get extra
              benefits that a consumer grade connection will not.

              There are many of us who would like to pay less, but
              the reliabilty, (outgoing as well as receiving), makes a static
              IP setup practically a must if you value your e-mail service.

              Matt
            • Keith Matthews
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:46:32 -0500
                "Brian Collins" <listbc@...> wrote:

                > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
                > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
                > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it will be
                > > > less work than trying to work around it.
                > >

                > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In
                > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers
                > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
                >
                > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide
                > static IPs to those that request them for doing things like this.
                > Still, other than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer
                > much support .

                If you offer anything at all to people operating servers you're doing
                better than most of the big players I have to deal with. BT especially -
                all you can get out of their trained monkey types is reading from a
                script on how to set up Outlook and no deviations. (Yes I know BT runs
                it's call centre from India these days, and I have no beef with the
                people or their accents, it's the lack of training and inability to
                refer the problem to those who are better trained that gripes me).