RE: Backing up indefinitely or for set time

  • Brendan Grossman
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
      > > I've been told (not sure with postfix) that backup MXs can be
      > > configured to hold mail indefinitely or for a certain time period.
      >
      > They can do whatever you want. However indefinitely would be
      > a bad idea, as people would never know if mail wasn't delivered.

      It may be justifiable in my case. I have a postfix gateway that relays mail
      for internal UNIX clients. When the clients are shutdown at night or for
      even days (could even be weeks, if the user goes on on holidays etc), I'd
      like my gateway to hold their mail.

      Instead of local delivery, I could give them accounts and allow POP access
      or something on the gateway, but if each client has an MTA, they may as well
      use it?

      To make matters worse, the internet connection for this network has a
      dynamic IP, so when the IP changes, I need to ensure mail doesn't bounce. I
      do have a script that updates DNS, but even though it's reasonably reliable,
      I'd still like a fallback solution.

      > > Is this possible with postfix?
      >
      > Yes

      How so? I can't find any info.

      > > As a matter of fact I'm not quite clear on how backup MXs
      > work. If the
      > > above is correct, and the primary MX doesn't come back in x
      > number of
      > > hours, will mail be bounced?
      >
      > Yes.
      >
      > If you aren't clear how backup MX work, I'd strongly suggest
      > not having one.

      I'd like to become "clear", so that I can :) Unless you can think of other
      ways to ensure mail doesn't bounce for said configuration.
    • Simon Waters
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Wednesday 01 Mar 2006 11:15, Brendan Grossman wrote:

        > It may be justifiable in my case. I have a postfix gateway that relays mail
        > for internal UNIX clients. When the clients are shutdown at night or for
        > even days (could even be weeks, if the user goes on on holidays etc), I'd
        > like my gateway to hold their mail.

        Don't use boxes as SMTP servers if they aren't highly available - you'll just
        create a headache for yourself.

        Imagine I sent an email, you'll hold it indefinitely - if the person never
        switches on their box, I'll never know it was never received.

        > Instead of local delivery, I could give them accounts and allow POP access
        > or something on the gateway, but if each client has an MTA, they may as
        > well use it?

        I'd lose the unnecessary services and install POP3 or IMAP4 on a central
        server in a jiffy. Do not needlessly multiply SMTP servers.

        > To make matters worse, the internet connection for this network has a
        > dynamic IP, so when the IP changes, I need to ensure mail doesn't bounce. I
        > do have a script that updates DNS, but even though it's reasonably
        > reliable, I'd still like a fallback solution.

        Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create a
        headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about such
        things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying to work
        around it.
      • Keith Matthews
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
          On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:45:49 +0000
          Simon Waters <simonw@...> wrote:

          > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create
          > a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about
          > such things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying
          > to work around it.

          I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In my
          experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers on
          their systems and won't provide proper support.

          --
          Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
          accept mail through the list server.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
            > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only create
            > > a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be worrying about
            > > such things get a static IP address, it will be less work than trying
            > > to work around it.
            >

            > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In my
            > experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers on
            > their systems and won't provide proper support.

            That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide static
            IPs to those that request them for doing things like this. Still, other
            than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer much support (as in,
            how they should configure their (mail|web|other) server. We also don't
            offer a lot of sympathy to the ones who become open relays or get themselves
            blacklisted because they wanted to send spam and found our SMTP servers
            not-very-conducive to that.

            --Brian
          • Brendan Grossman
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
              > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
              > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
              > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it
              > will be less
              > > > work than trying to work around it.
              > >

              > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then
              > change ISP. In
              > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't
              > want servers
              > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
              >
              > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we
              > provide static IPs to those that request them for doing
              > things like this. Still, other than how to avoid being an
              > open relay, we do not offer much support (as in, how they
              > should configure their (mail|web|other) server. We also
              > don't offer a lot of sympathy to the ones who become open
              > relays or get themselves blacklisted because they wanted to
              > send spam and found our SMTP servers not-very-conducive to that.

              Unfortunately, the difference between a static and dynamic IP for me here in
              Australia, is a loss of 7mbps off my connection, or, an extra $80+ per
              month. I have ADSL2+ (cable's unavailable) and the only static IP plans I've
              found are "business" plans, and they're usually over $100 per month.

              Sure, having a static IP makes things easier, but I have a script that
              checks my IP every hour and if it's changed, updates it. So there's probably
              not a huge difference, just a static IP would give me peace of mind and
              would ensure unless the connection were to go down, mail would never bounce.
            • Matt Fretwell
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:28:46 +1030
                "Brendan Grossman" <brendan@...> wrote:

                > Unfortunately, the difference between a static and dynamic IP
                > for me here in Australia, is a loss of 7mbps off my
                > connection, or, an extra $80+ per month. I have ADSL2+
                > (cable's unavailable) and the only static IP plans I've found
                > are "business" plans, and they're usually over $100 per month.
                >
                > Sure, having a static IP makes things easier, but I have a
                > script that checks my IP every hour and if it's changed,
                > updates it. So there's probably not a huge difference, just a
                > static IP would give me peace of mind and would ensure unless
                > the connection were to go down, mail would never bounce.

                Generally, it is a case of getting one of the business grade
                services. You will lose downlink speed on the basic business
                service, or get charged disproportionately for a faster link,
                but if you are running a mailserver on this link, it is a case
                of either suck in the extra cost and run a mailserver that will
                get your mail to its final destination, or run the risk of being
                blocked by various external MTA's if you stay as you are.
                Granted, the price does seem steep, but you do also get extra
                benefits that a consumer grade connection will not.

                There are many of us who would like to pay less, but
                the reliabilty, (outgoing as well as receiving), makes a static
                IP setup practically a must if you value your e-mail service.

                Matt
              • Keith Matthews
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                  On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:46:32 -0500
                  "Brian Collins" <listbc@...> wrote:

                  > > > Don't put an SMTP server on a dynamic IP address - you'll only
                  > > > create a headache for yourself. If you've enough boxes to be
                  > > > worrying about such things get a static IP address, it will be
                  > > > less work than trying to work around it.
                  > >

                  > > I'll add to that - If your ISP won't provide one then change ISP. In
                  > > my experience ISPs that insist on dynamic IP only don't want servers
                  > > on their systems and won't provide proper support.
                  >
                  > That is correct. Speaking from the standpoint of an ISP, we provide
                  > static IPs to those that request them for doing things like this.
                  > Still, other than how to avoid being an open relay, we do not offer
                  > much support .

                  If you offer anything at all to people operating servers you're doing
                  better than most of the big players I have to deal with. BT especially -
                  all you can get out of their trained monkey types is reading from a
                  script on how to set up Outlook and no deviations. (Yes I know BT runs
                  it's call centre from India these days, and I have no beef with the
                  people or their accents, it's the lack of training and inability to
                  refer the problem to those who are better trained that gripes me).