Re: Detecting Outbound Email Only

  • Beast
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Simon Faulkner wrote:
      > I dislike disclaimers as much as the next man but when the boss says we
      > *must* have them you only have 2 choices and unemployment is not a good
      > option right at the moment.
      >
      > I have seen some good examples both in TBoP and online but they all use
      > separate IPs for inbound and outbound email.
      >
      > I can do this but I am wondering if there is a way of filtering such
      > that I don't add a diclaimer to internal email.

      You could create smtpd instance on different port (on the same IP) for
      outgoing mail, assuming this machine was an email gateway.

      --

      --beast
    • Keith Matthews
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:33:57 +0000
        Simon Faulkner <simon@...> wrote:

        > I dislike disclaimers as much as the next man but when the boss says
        > we *must* have them you only have 2 choices and unemployment is not a
        > good option right at the moment.
        >
        > I have seen some good examples both in TBoP and online but they all
        > use separate IPs for inbound and outbound email.
        >
        > I can do this but I am wondering if there is a way of filtering such
        > that I don't add a diclaimer to internal email.
        >
        > Apologies if I have mised the point LOL

        The only point you might have missed is that postfix does not understand
        the difference between inbound and outbound traffic. having separate IPs
        for inbound and outbound is pretty much the only way.

        --
        Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
        accept mail through the list server.
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          Keith Matthews wrote:

          > The only point you might have missed is that postfix does not understand
          > the difference between inbound and outbound traffic. having separate IPs
          > for inbound and outbound is pretty much the only way.

          Previously, i've used mail content management sw (that act as mail
          gateway). It use a simple rule:

          *@* -> *@... = inbound
          *@... -> *@* = outbound

          --

          --beast
        • Simon Faulkner
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            > The only point you might have missed is that postfix does not understand
            > the difference between inbound and outbound traffic. having separate IPs
            > for inbound and outbound is pretty much the only way.

            Ah, ty - I was hoping!

            Beast has given me a plan to use an internal gateway for local mail and
            that fires the email out through a server which appends the diclaimer
            only to mail that is leaving the building.

            Sweet.

            --
            Simon Faulkner 01538 303 900
            Dedicated Programmes Limited
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
              Simon Faulkner a écrit :
              >> The only point you might have missed is that postfix does not understand
              >> the difference between inbound and outbound traffic. having separate IPs
              >> for inbound and outbound is pretty much the only way.
              >

              > Ah, ty - I was hoping!
              >
              > Beast has given me a plan to use an internal gateway for local mail and
              > that fires the email out through a server which appends the diclaimer
              > only to mail that is leaving the building.

              you could add disclaimer when sender is in your domain. while not
              exactly the same thing, it should make your boss happy.