Re: SMTP auth using some other server

  • Patrick Ben Koetter
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
      * Ramprasad <ram@...>:
      > On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:54 +0100, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
      > > * Ramprasad <ram@...>:
      > > > Can I configure postfix to do smtp auth for the incoming mail and use
      > > > some other SMTP server to do the authentication.
      > >
      > > You mean, server A uses the credentials given by a mail client and tries to
      > > authenticate with these data at server B. If that succeeds, server A considers
      > > the mail client to be authenticated?
      >
      > Precisely
      >
      > > If that's what you are looking for, then Cyrus-SASL.2.x (it does
      > > authentication on request from Postfix) cannot do it.
      > >
      > > > Using cyrus sasl I can user the "rimap" mechanism to authenticate
      > > > against a remote imap server, is there a similar "rsmtp" available ?
      > >
      > > Nope, there's no "rsmtp" method for Cyrus-SASL.2.x. You can either use rimap
      > > with saslauthd to authenticate against an IMAP server or the sql (MySQL,
      > > PostgreSQL, SQLite) or ldapdb (OpenLDAP, ...) auxprop plugins to access
      > > database backends.
      >
      > Oh, But if the Server B was a third party server , I would not always
      > get access to their datastore ( may be SQL, ldap or even shadow
      > passwd )

      yep

      > Also IMHO it is much easier if you dont have to manage these plugins
      > especially when there is already a server doing that already

      Sure. It's also easier if you don't have to run a mail server if someone else
      is doing that already. ;) Besides you'd have to manage the plugins that take
      care of "rsmtp" if there was any. Point is, if you want the utmost control of
      what is happening, you will probably need to tackle this sooner or later. :/

      If you need help dealing with SASL and SMTP AUTH tell us what you'd like to
      have and we will help you with it.

      p@rick

      --
      The Book of Postfix